New 328 owner...from Porsche to Ferrari! | FerrariChat

New 328 owner...from Porsche to Ferrari!

Discussion in '308/328' started by acastell, Jun 17, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. acastell

acastell Rookie

Sep 11, 2008
    Hillsborough, Ca
    #1 acastell, Jun 17, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Well...I am probably the definition of a long time lurker...signed up in 2008, first post, 2016...

For the past 25 years I have been a Porsche owner...4 356's, 2 cabs and 2 coupes, a 912, a Carrera 3.2 (M491), a 964, a handful of 993's (2's, 4's and TT) and 1 997.2...along the way, I did own a 348 and some other Italian and British sports cars, but always came back to Porsche.

Having just sold a 356, I found myself in the market again for another Porsche...I was happy with the inflated selling price of my 356, but quickly realized I had to buy into the same market...so, I shifted my focus a bit.

If I was to pay a premium for a car, may as well get a premium car...this is not a dig on Porsches, rather testament to Ferrari...for me, it makes sense to justify a selling price for a Ferrari perhaps because it is 'new' to me rather than a Porsche which feels like an old shoe (that is a compliment, oddly)...perhaps because I have owned a few and none of them felt special enough to command the current asking prices...

To echo the musings of many here, I have always loved the 308, turned 16 in 1985...nuff said!

But, I drive my cars...a lot...hence the reason I have stuck with Porsches and their tireless and faithful dependable platform.

The 328 checked all of the boxes...the amazing folks at San Francisco Sports Cars in Belmont had 3 to choose from...After a test drive, the 1987 GTS was mine...felt right, color was right, sound was right...PPI at Dino's and a painless purchase, and VIN# ZFFXA20A9H0071789 was mine!

This car was purchased new at Monterey Ferrari and serviced regularly by its first and only owner at Ferrari Log Gatos (15K service) and Ferrari San Francisco (fluid changes), as well as Prancing Horse (first 30K service), Dino Motors (fluid changes) and finally Taormina Imports (second 30K service).

I have all records back to 1987 showing fairly consistent mileage accumulation...car has 34K miles on it with 2 majors and a minor from top quality dealers and Independents..

The owner passed away and the son consigned the car...I went to visit the son after I purchased the car and had a very long conversation...he shared with me all of the lunches he shared with his father at Alice's Restaurant as well as up and down the coast, Half Moon Bay to Santa Cruz.

I am thrilled with the car....even though the second 30K service was completed only last year, I am one that likes things perfect...so, I am lucky enough to live 5 miles from YELCAB...we spent some time discussing my car over lunch and made a checklist of items:

Spark plugs
    Spark plug wires
    Spark plug extenders, 8 each
    Spark plug wire clips, 2 each
    Valve cover gasket set
    Bleeder hose
    T pipe and hose
    Cleaning injectors
    Coolant

Off to YELCAB's operation room my car went and with the above items completed, she is ready to enjoy..

I look forward to comparing the driving/ownership experience with the Porsches...

See you all on the boards, or the roads....also, if any of you will be a the Hillsborough Concours, look for my car...I am driving the Tour D'elegance on Saturday and on the lawn on Sunday (not for judging, my cars are drivers)...
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. gt4me

gt4me F1 Veteran

Sep 10, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Lewis Mitchell
    Very nice!

3. Dino944

Dino944 Formula 3

Aug 11, 2007
    Rhode Island
    Full Name:
    Dino
    Looks great! Congrats and hope it gives you years of enjoyment!!!

4. Alfer

Alfer Formula 3

Sep 4, 2007
    NH/the Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Menno
    Congrats and welcome. A red 328 GTS what else can one want. I own mine 9 years after a 308 GTB and many Alfa's and still love this Ferrari every day. Have lots of fun!!

5. Fairview

Fairview Formula 3

Mar 16, 2009
    Waynesboro, Virginia
    Full Name:
    Jeff Ward
    Welcome to the asylum! You and I have a very similar Porsche history, and then a similar transition to Ferrari. I've owned and seen so many Porsches that I wouldn't walk across the street to look at one unless it is really unique and old..... but it is still a thrill to walk in the garage and see the 308- I wish you many years of enjoyment! Jeff

6. Rosso328

Rosso328 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 11, 2006
    Central FL
    Full Name:
    Paul
    A red 87 328 GTS. Yep, that was my 'gateway drug' ten years ago.

#70941 is staying with me for life. Everything that attracted me to Ferrari is there, and I plan to keep it. No matter what other cars come and go. I sincerely hope you have the same, or at least similar feelings for your new baby.

Big congratulations, and enjoy!!

7. SpyderGT

SpyderGT Formula Junior

May 15, 2005
    Vancouver, BC
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Welcome to 328 ownership!

Jon

8. cwilson13

cwilson13 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 20, 2012
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    CWilson
    Congrats!
    Looks like a good car.
    You will like the change up. At least I did.
    I too went from Porsches (last one was a 993S) to a 328.
    Both great fun but very different.

9. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    congrats!!! Hope to see you soon at our next FOG drive?

I also echo the kind words you have for yelcab...a scholar and a gentlemen...

Cheers

10. Kidasters

Kidasters Formula Junior

Oct 4, 2013
    Houston, Tx
    Full Name:
    Ken
    #10 Kidasters, Jun 17, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  11. lucky strike

lucky strike Formula Junior

Apr 26, 2015
    Pompano Beach Fl
    Full Name:
    Steve
  12. GordonC

GordonC F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 28, 2005
    Calgary, AB, Canada
    Full Name:
    Gordon
    Congrats and welcome back to Ferrari ownership! Gorgeous car, I am sure you will enjoy it immensely.

13. Basal Skull

Basal Skull Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 26, 2010
    Vancouver BC
    Nice! The 328 is a keeper for sure (but so is the 993t).

14. drbruno

drbruno Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 23, 2014
    Toronto, ON
    Full Name:
    Dr. Bruno L. Venditt
    Congrats!!! I've been a lifelong Porsche guy and also turned 16 in 1985! Always had short affairs with other cars (Alfa spider, Mercedes and 1970 Corvette LT1 roadster), but always came back to Porsche. I still own a 1987 Carrera but have for the last 2 years have ben enjoying a 328 GTS (88.5) and a Mondial t cab (89). There is something about the sound of that Italian V8 and the sexiness of the lines that holds you. Welcome to the club and enjoy your beautiful car!

15. acastell

acastell Rookie

Sep 11, 2008
    Hillsborough, Ca
    Many thanks for all of the well wishes...this YELCAB in my life, I am certain my ownership experience will be enhanced...he really is amazing.

I will get to some local events, FOG rides etc...

So far, the 328 ownership experience has been superb...really no easy way to compare to Porsches, yet....in time, which I am looking forward to, I will have a better sense...if you ask me today, I would have to say that I will never own another Porsche...

The sounds, smells, driving position, steering wheel, styling all nod in the direction of the 328...

Will update on my thoughts as time goes on...for now, I am simply trying to wipe the stupid off my face every time I drive the car, I must look like a clown!

16. JohnnyTS

JohnnyTS Formula Junior

Jun 3, 2012
    Pretoria East, RSA
    Full Name:
    John
    I love my 328 ! congratulations.

17. ALUMINUMYELLOW328

ALUMINUMYELLOW328 Formula Junior

May 30, 2004
    Bergen County, NJ
    Full Name:
    Rhett R Arcilla
    Congratulations and welcome....

18. Dbacr

Dbacr Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 1, 2015
    Ft lauderdale, FL
    Full Name:
    Dan
    Congrats. I also had a 911 M491. Much different experience. The 328 ticks all the boxes.

19. Crowndog

Crowndog F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 16, 2011
    Fairfield,Pa
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Congratulations and welcome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20. piezo

piezo Formula 3

May 27, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Full Name:
    Steven
    Grats and welcome! Enjoy the 328, it's so much different than P cars :)

21. acastell

acastell Rookie

Sep 11, 2008
    Hillsborough, Ca
    Well...there is simply no denying that this car is a much different experience than the Porsches...not a surprise to anyone...

Putting on some very fun and rewarding miles...from ignition 'on' to ignition 'off', pure pleasure...amazed Ferrari had it so RIGHT 30 years ago!

22. AJS328

AJS328 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Apr 23, 2003
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Augustine Staino
    Congrats, and welcome to the 328 family! I too was a multi-Porsche owner and I still love them. I had a bunch of 3.2's, 964's, 993's, and a couple of 996's. All wonderful cars, and I will add another 911 again. That being said, if I was forced to have only one toy for the rest of my life, it would have to be a 328! They're the perfect combo of style, performance, sound, and smell (that leather!).

All the best of luck with yours. :)

23. Aircon

Aircon Ten Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    You'll change your mind.

24. Ferraridoc

Ferraridoc F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed