FCA Event in Hawaii is Happening! | FerrariChat

FCA Event in Hawaii is Happening!

Discussion in 'Hawaii' started by TrojanFan, Jun 11, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TrojanFan

TrojanFan F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 17, 2008
    So. CA & NV
    Full Name:
    Peter
    I started a thread a while back about a possible upcoming event. Things are closer to reality now so I thought I'd pass along some information.

FCA - SW chapter, (which Hawaii is a part of) is planing an event on Oahu for the first weekend in March 2017. The host location will be at Turtle Bay with other events possibly scheduled around the Island. Currently looking to do a "Welcome" kick off dinner on Friday, March 3rd, some sort of organized breakfast and drive on Saturday and/or Sunday and a "Farewell" Dinner either Sunday or Monday night. We may look to attend a luau on Saturday or Sunday as a group event.

Most, if not all, of the events will be open to both members and non-members and we are hoping to have some Dealer participation in some sponsorship fashion. Other related businesses may have sponsorship opportunities as well. It will be a great chance to meet your fellow FCA members and finally get some photos of your cars and drives in the magazine.

From you on FChat, I am hoping to get some level of interest in attending the dinners and if you are interested in participating and help planing the drives. You are the lucky ones that will get to drive your Ferraris while those of us coming from the Mainland get stuck with rental cars (looking for someone to volunteer their right seat).

Please let me know your interest on this thread or via PM. Interested in attending, helping out, sponsoring or joining FCA. Looking to meet any Ferrari enthusiasts from the Islands

2. TrojanFan

TrojanFan F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 17, 2008
    So. CA & NV
    Full Name:
    Peter
    If you read the post and are interested in attending from somewhere other than Southern California or Hawaii, we will be opening it up to FCA members from other chapters as well on a space available basis. Join us in Hawaii!

3. Hannibal308

Hannibal308 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 3, 2012
    Kahuku / Cottonwood / Prescott
    Full Name:
    Will
    Would love to attend/join. Moving to Waialua in 7 days!

4. Doc_K

Doc_K Karting

Oct 19, 2014
    Honolulu, HI
    Full Name:
    Ian K.
    I will most definitely make it out.

5. TrojanFan

TrojanFan F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 17, 2008
    So. CA & NV
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Great. Suggestions and/or help on some drives for either Saturday or Sunday would be great. The mainland guys will be in rental cars but we'd still like a spirited drive. As a thought, we are considering a possible drive from Turtle Bay to Pearl Harbor for a tour and then west for another leg for a luau at either Germaine's or Paradise Cove. Does that make sense?

6. bcb70

bcb70 Karting

Mar 30, 2013
    Northern VA
    Full Name:
    Brian B
    I'll be attending. Let me know if there is anything I can help arrange here on Oahu.

7. dakharris

dakharris Two Time F1 World Champ

Jun 7, 2001
    Sleepy Hollow
    Full Name:
    Cavaliere Senzatesta
  8. WPOZZZ

WPOZZZ F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Honolulu, HI
  9. Hannibal308

Hannibal308 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 3, 2012
    Full Name:
    Will
    +1 on Pasha...same price.

10. buzzpics

buzzpics Formula Junior

Jul 22, 2013
    Frisco Tx
    Currently, I have zero job offers back here in Texas, but since most of my professional network is in the Islands, I actually have quite a few opportunities there. If nothing comes up here when I am complete with my degree in December, I am considering a move back to Honolulu after the holidays. If I move, I will be all about bringing my little 308. I would love to Magnum P.I. it up around the island!

11. TrojanFan

TrojanFan F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 17, 2008
    So. CA & NV
    Full Name:
    Peter
    I keep trying to find a reason/opportunity to move back. I've been away 30+ years (but several visits).

12. Hannibal308

Hannibal308 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 3, 2012
    Full Name:
    Will
    I just moved. One week ago. How fantastic it is here! Contemplating bringing my 308 GTB when done with restoration in San Diego. Not sure I want to keep it parked under my stilt house though. Any good dehumidified drive in/out storage options on O'ahu?

13. TrojanFan

TrojanFan F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 17, 2008
    So. CA & NV
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Great!. Hope you will join us in March with or without the 308.

We should be making the details of the trip official in the next 30+/-days.

14. Kevin Rev'n

Kevin Rev'n Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2009
    Honolulu
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Sheetrock in the space and put in an AC unit would be a perfect solution. If you can get a solar system added to your rooftop that is the way to go. WIN-WIN.

15. 808Forza

808Forza Formula Junior
    Owner

Jan 5, 2013
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Full Name:
    Gil
    Most definitely interested in participating and willing to help as much as I can. If I don't end up having an empty passenger seat, we should be able to find you one ;)

16. TrojanFan

TrojanFan F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 17, 2008
    So. CA & NV
    Full Name:
    Peter
    We are going to need to reach out for some help in planning a drive for either the morning of March 4th or 5th. Starting point would be Turtle Bay for a group breakfast and then heading toward Haleiwa and south to Pearl Harbor. Suggestions on the route (and the route back - I like H-3) would be helpful as well as suggestions for lunch in the Pearl Harbor area.

This event in the Islands should be a chance for the local FCA members and non-members to bring out their Ferrari's and show the mainland members some of the island. Its a good chance to get your cars in photos in both the Chapter and possibly National publications.

Presently we are considering a meet and greet welcome dinner on Friday March 3rd, a drive on the weekend and a luau on the evening of the 5th. What do you as locals suggest that we add to the itinerary to make this event enjoyable for all attending?

17. Kevin Rev'n

Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2009
    Honolulu
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Good stuff Peter. I like Turtle bay for exotics because they have a big parking lot that one can "usually" find a way to park away from the rental cars and jalopies that are sure to be occupying the lot. If you are working with hotel management to ensure a special area for the cars even better. The best place to dine there is the pool bar as far as nice places to hang out but I am not sure they do breakfast out there. I usually target lunch for the specific purpose of the view and atmosphere.

I'll bet if you drew a 5 mile radius around Pearl Harbor there will not be a suitable place to park an exotic unless you can pay to park at the Stadium (there will be a swapmeet), park waaaaaaayyyy out back and walk/taxi to Pearl Harbor. Even then, with the cars unattended, you may return to find a bunch of people tail-gaiting next to your cars just because it is something different to see a bunch of nice cars in one place. It will be a very hot and dusty walk, less than a mile to a wait and a mandatory video before the boat tour and then return ? hours later to your car! Someone may know better here I am only guessing at all of this but these are my thoughts.

H3 is great and shuffling over to the Pali Hwy once on the windward side of the mountain range is also great. A good loop from the Pearl Harbor area might be H3 East to Kamehameha Hwy to Pali HWY up to the Pali lookout. The corvette club goes up there a lot for gatherings. The parking can suck there too but there are some bailouts and safe spots past the main entrance where you can park on the exit side of the road and walk back up to the Pali lookout. Return the same way.

A good add-on to this if the weather is nice is to take the H3 all the way to the end and there are two lookouts that are great to meet up at. The ricer clubs and Porsche clubs meet at these every weekend and it is very suitable for exotics and one of the few stretches of road where one can exercise their cars in relative peace/safety.

I can help you with maps if you like. "IF" the weather is nice I will try to join you for the driving portions.

18. TrojanFan

TrojanFan F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 17, 2008
    So. CA & NV
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Thanks Kevin. Already discussed with Turtle Bay staff about a reserved Ferrari parking area near the front entrance. They are also willing to allow a display area if we happen to set up Dealer participation and they want to show a few cars.

19. Kevin Rev'n

Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2009
    Honolulu
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    The dealer will be key. If you can get them involved you are golden. They are going to have a new showroom open by then that will have a restaurant in it or attached to it and a barber so I hear. It's planned to be quite the place. If you get them excited about hosting you there that will be worth it.

20. WPOZZZ

WPOZZZ F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Honolulu, HI
    The showroom should be finished by then, but dealership parking is limited. There is maybe 20 stalls for the dealership, and it is in the interior in a dark corridor that is shared with Symphony residents. JN also has a bunch of stalls in Symphony on P6, but access is by vehicle remote. Not sure if those will be available.

21. spicedriver

spicedriver F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2011
    Turtle Bay is kinda far removed from everywhere else, but if you plan a drive from there, it's best to go southeast in the opposite direction of Haleiwa. Lots of traffic through Haleiwa to the North Shore. The other direction is more scenic anyway. Then you can catch the H3 to Pearl Harbor.

Best places to visit for me would be the Pacific Aviation Museum, and the Battleship Missouri. The Arizona Memorial is there too. The Aviation Museum has a restaurant, or you can have them set something up special for you. The visitor center has food too, like hot dogs etc. And Schooners Restaurant. You park at the Visitor Center, and a bus takes you to Ford Island, where the attractions are located.

Pearl Harbor, Pearl Harbor Memorial, Pearl Harbor Museum

https://ussmissouri.org/

For Luau, I like Paradise Cove, and the Polynesian Cultural Center. The latter is not far from Turtle Bay.

Best Luau Oahu - Things To do In Hawaii| Polynesian Cultural Center

https://www.paradisecove.com/

There are a couple of Warbirds on Oahu if you have some Pilotos in the group. That's my idea of fun. The indoor Kart Track is fun too. Just make sure you're in shape before you do this. It's pretty physical.

https://www.k1speed.com/hawaii-location.html

22. renman95

renman95 Karting

Jul 16, 2016
    Oahu, leeward side
    Full Name:
    D8LF

Does Pasha do better handling than Matson? I've done Matson twice and the last time was not so good.

23. Hannibal308

Hannibal308 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 3, 2012
    Full Name:
    Will
    My car was enclosed in their Ferry-Like ship (i.e. not in a container, but not on a deck in the open either) and I picked it up in Honolulu 9 days after I dropped it off in San Diego in identical condition without any hassles at all.

24. Hannibal308

Hannibal308 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 3, 2012
    Full Name:
    Will
    Agree completely...maybe a stop at Kualoa Ranch?

Best Oahu Tours & Activities | Eco Tours |

25. renman95

renman95 Karting

Jul 16, 2016
    Oahu, leeward side
    Full Name:
    D8LF
    I like taking Kunia Road (750) from Waipahu to the 99 intersection then further north to 803 towards Haleiwa, but bypass Haleiwa to Dillingham Airfield and all the way to the end. It's not much traveled, secluded beaches, plus Waialua has a great coffee/antique store and soap factory that's housed in the old sugar mill.