I like 348 more than 355... | FerrariChat

I like 348 more than 355...

Discussion in '348/355' started by patpong, Jun 19, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. patpong

patpong Formula 3

Jul 6, 2004
    Bangkok, Thailand
    Full Name:
    Patpong Thanavisuth
    A few weeks ago, i had the opportunity to test drive 1997 355 and 1993 348 side by side, switch from one car to another, back and forth... I already have the 512 TR, 360CS and roar 308GTB and looking for another easy going and fun one. I was deciding to buy either of this 1997 355 and 1993 348. At first I was leaning more to 355 as it was more popular. Each car run perfect. However after a few drive switching between the two, I feel the 348 was more fun, more strengthen and aggressive to drive, stiff clutch and gear feel more Ferrari like race car... I can appreciate the easy and comfortable gear, clutch and power steering of the 355, but for a more fun drive I would prefer a 348... So, i ended up buying 348 and been having fun... my 2 cents...

2. Robb

Robb Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    Great to hear of your new 348. I always liked reading about your 308.

Let's see pics of the new F-car. Welcome to the brotherhood.

Robb

3. SoCal1

SoCal1 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 14, 2011
    SoCal LA/OC/New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Tim Dee
    I love my 348, had it out today. My 355's sit covered

:)

4. ktr6

ktr6 Formula Junior

Mar 25, 2011
    Knoxville, TN
    Full Name:
    Keith
    Both are great cars, i chose the 348 as well. Wonderful and unique 26 year old car.

5. patpong

patpong Formula 3

Jul 6, 2004
    Bangkok, Thailand
    Full Name:
    Patpong Thanavisuth
    #5 patpong, Jun 19, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Thank you, Robb... Nice to hear you still remember me... Me and my Ferrari Thailand Club friends were very active before... Nice to be back. It's been long time away from FerrariChat. For the past few years i was in strict Buhddist practice so being away from exciting experience was part of the practice. Now, the practice been working for me so i am back...

As a long time owner of 512TR, i never considered a 348. I thought it was same thing with less of the TR... But when i drove it, i enjoyed it very much...it's different, easy and fun, still every bit of Ferrari... Love this baby Tesstarossa...
    Congratulations to FChat that has grown to become most popular Ferrari community on the internet...
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. patpong

patpong Formula 3

Jul 6, 2004
    Bangkok, Thailand
    Full Name:
    Patpong Thanavisuth
    Agree that both are wonderful in its own way... May be just me that I consider stiff clutch and gear and steering is part of fun and exercise i need... Hahaha...

7. AceMaster

AceMaster Three Time F1 World Champ

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    You can't go wrong with either.

The 348 and 355 are both terrific models.

8. phrogs

phrogs F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 13, 2004
    Michigan
    Nothing wrong with your choice.

9. Robb

Robb Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    Looks stunning.

Robb

10. ///Mike

///Mike F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2003
    Bugtussle
    I share your sentiments, Patpong. The 355 is a wonderful car but I prefer the 348. It's the last true analog V8 Ferrari and the TR is the last true analog 12 cylinder Ferrari. If think that the two would complement one another very nicely. You have good taste in cars. Congrats on your latest acquisition. Enjoy in good health!

11. patpong

patpong Formula 3

Jul 6, 2004
    Bangkok, Thailand
    Full Name:
    Patpong Thanavisuth

Analog is the word... 348 is analog, vinyl record player. 355 is digital, CD player...

12. john348gtb

john348gtb Rookie

May 28, 2016
    SYDNEY
    I didn't believe there could be some much difference from driving a 355 to a 348.Old school certainly but you know that's what's driving is all about for me.
    Having just acquired a 348 gtb after 3 years of searching,I now know what they mean by driving,no electronics no steer just the raw car and the smile on my face.

13. AceMaster

AceMaster Three Time F1 World Champ

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Lol, well done. :)

14. ///Mike

///Mike F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2003
    Bugtussle
    Yep, great analogy! When CDs were introduced early in my musical life I thought they were awesome-- digital accuracy combined with the convenience of a cassette tape. When the 355 first appeared on the cover of Autoweek I thought it eclipsed even the iconic Euro 308 I lusted after. When the F1 version came out I had the privilege of being asked to give track rides in one on a fairly regular basis. I thought it was oh-so-cool.

But over time it became apparent that a certain amount of the entire experience was being lost to the digital nature of CDs and the increasingly intrusive driver aids in modern cars. Cleaning the album and dropping the needle on my manual turntable is a ritual, as is the starting and driving procedure in earlier cars like my 348. Even better is flipping the switch for the fuel pump and listening for it to slow as the carburetor bowls fill, but those older cars typically don't offer niceties like ABS and halfway decent AC.

The 348 is unique in that it is the most modern V8 car that still offers that old school "man's car" sensation that Ferraris of yore had in spades. It's like my turntable (one of those heavy piano black Sansuis from the late '70s/very early '80s)-- it's both modern and vintage at the same time... the best of both worlds. :)

15. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    Welcome to the 348 Brotherhood.

16. cf355

cf355 F1 Rookie

Feb 28, 2005
    Full Name:
    chris
    congrats on the new 348 :)

17. DavidLMcAfee

DavidLMcAfee Formula Junior

Nov 22, 2015
    East TN
    Full Name:
    David McAfee
    I like both cars, but I prefer the 348.

18. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    Come on now, I would not go that far. 348 is all analog. 355 is analog with some comfort features like power steering.

Digital is a Lexus that parks itself. A Porsche that corrects for lane position. A Volvo that stops before hitting a pedestrian.

19. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    I was thinking the same thing. To me digital is when you have a computer do the shifting for you, the VSC ECU work the handling, computers handle rev matching, etc.

Yelcab, as a person that also owns both, what would you list as your 'pros' and 'cons' of the 348/355?

Cheers

20. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    congrats!!!

I'm only familiar with the Tipo 119, but I've been happy with it. I believe the stock Tipo 129 is otherworldly at the top end, but at the cost of some long end torque..

So that's always another trade off....like other here, I echo the sentiments - both glorious - I would consider myself blessed with either.

Cheers

21. ghardt

ghardt Formula 3

Apr 18, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    AMEN!!

22. PineChris

PineChris Formula 3

Apr 17, 2013
    California
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I too prefer the 348 to the 355. The over assisted steering feel and lack of the low end torque in the 355 make the 348 a no brainer inmo. Not to mention the 348 has less issues to deal with.

23. bikz

bikz Formula 3

Mar 2, 2012
    Malaysia
    welcome to the Brotherhood.....i startes a similar thread 4 years ago....so i completely get what you mean

24. skierlawyer

skierlawyer Formula Junior

Sep 12, 2010
    Golden, CO
    Full Name:
    Brian
    I prefer the F355 for it's styling, 6 spd gearbox, additional power, and the higher rev limit. I don't mind the power steering as it weights up nicely when pushed. I have other manual steering cars in my stable to enjoy when I want a more raw experience. I do love the 348 too and if I had room I would get one.

25. patpong

patpong Formula 3

Jul 6, 2004
    Bangkok, Thailand
    Full Name:
    Patpong Thanavisuth
    " a more raw experience ".... That's it... Love that Ferrari raw...