330 GTC - "Horse Hair" insulation | FerrariChat

330 GTC - "Horse Hair" insulation

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by John B, Aug 29, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. John B

John B Formula 3

May 27, 2003
    NJ
    I'm replacing the worn carpeting in my 330 GTC. We removed the old carpeting and underneath, mostly in the back and under under the the rear shelf is "Horse hair". It's matted and nasty looking straw / hay like stuff. What is the best form for a restoration? Keep it and fluff it up as best we can, or replace it with more modern foam / adhesive backed insulation?

I'm thinking preserve the originality, where possible, but is this going too far? What have you guys done? I welcome comments and suggestions.

2. Bob Zambelli

Bob Zambelli F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Manning, SC
    Full Name:
    Robert G. Zambelli
    When I did my GTC carpets 25 years ago, I found and exact match for the undercarpet matting form JC Whitney.
    Don't know if they still carry it but you can try.
    Go to thier website and search for "carpet padding"

Bob Z.

3. alberto

alberto Formula 3

Aug 25, 2001
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    My Miura had the same thing. Even though I'm striving for complete originality, I'm going to use modern insulation. It will keep the cabin cooler and quieter, as I don't desire to recreate that particular OEM style heat and road noise in the cabin (engine right next to my ear will be sufficient). ;)

4. NoECUs

NoECUs Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Texas
    Full Name:
    William Harrod
    If you would like to keep the original appearance - you can get jute padding from Re- Originals. To make it look and feel similar to what is in the car, first spray it on the top side with a high quality, paintable, rubberized undercoating - then mist it with a medium bronze color spray. The result looks identical to what was in my 330 GT and 275 GTS - minus the holes and tears.

5. peterp

peterp F1 Veteran

Aug 31, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Peter
    I like to preserve original whenever possible, but if the carpet needs to be replaced, then IMO it makes sense to replace the padding also. It would be great to see some pictures of the padding options being discussed.

6. Onebugatti

Onebugatti Formula Junior
    BANNED

Apr 2, 2008
    Centre Europe
    Full Name:
    Christopher
    -

I addressed the same material replacement on a 250GT recently, and was able to obtain the precise material in Italy. I also think it's available in France, I will ask. I really did not do a restoration, but what was more to stabilize a car with ultra-low mileage. Over the years the material foundation breaks down, and then the outer material collapse quickly with use, so a ''stabilization restoration'' is needed. I would advise you to use the precise same material, without any modifications, just remove and replace. Take a piece of the original, and a piece of the replacement, seal it in a seal-a-meal bag with a note, and box it. We're entering a new area of restorations, and preservation - it will show in the future that you cared about the detail and authenticity of the car when it was in your ownership -

7. John B

John B Formula 3

May 27, 2003
    NJ
    Thanks for the input. I ended up using the original material. It worked out fine, and I have peace of mind.

8. Tinbender

Tinbender Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Mar 13, 2004
    Raleigh,Lake Lure,NC
    Full Name:
    Terry W. Phillips
    Do you mean you found and bought new original type or did you reuse the old?

9. tongascrew

tongascrew F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2006
    tewksbury
    Full Name:
    george burgess
    Where in Ialy? tongascrew

10. John B

John B Formula 3

May 27, 2003
    NJ
    I re-used the original material. Upon closer inspection it was clean, dry and held it's shape so I reused it. I prefer to preserve original material wherever possible.

11. machineryhill

machineryhill Karting

Nov 11, 2011
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Dan
    Thanks for the excellent tip. Don't know if I would have thought of that myself but I applied a medium/light coat of 3M 08881 undercoating from a spray bomb and smeared it in with wax paper. It turned out to look exactly the same as the original jute carpet insulation material remaining in my GTC. It matched the dark brown/bronze color and texture and no paint required.

12. w.Hudkins

w.Hudkins Karting

May 16, 2006
    Indiana
    Full Name:
    William Todd Hudkins