seat restoration mold cleaning | FerrariChat

seat restoration mold cleaning

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by cdatte, Jun 23, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. cdatte

cdatte Karting

Mar 1, 2007
    san diego
    Full Name:
    Chuck
    I am redoing my front seats and after taking the leather off there's mold on the foam in places. Anybody have a recommendation on getting it off ?

2. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Wow! Im thinking a better option might be to just replace the foam?

3. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    Buy some new foam as its cheap enough, if it got mold u will never get it right

4. moysiuan

moysiuan F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2005
    Canada
    Spray some undiluted white vinegar, the concentration being what you get at the grocery store, let soak for an hour or two, dab away remaining staining with a moist cloth. Let dry thoroughly, put in the sun for a while. If the mold is not too bad, might do the job and you reuse the foam. About 80% of mold types can't stand vinegar, you want to kill the spores, the stain is of secondary importance. It is true you cannot get rid of all the mold spores in porous materials, and replacement is always the definitive solution, but many people with boats and mold problems seem to do ok with vinegar.

5. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    I've used these guys and they are fast, friendly, and very reasonably priced.

Bob's Foam Factory: San Francisco CA: Custom Die Cut, Puppet Foam, Foam Pieces

Basically you give them the exact specs you want - the type of foam you need - and they make it for you.

Probably will cost you less then $30.

Cheers

6. Alden

Alden F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 25, 2010
    Central Florida
    Steam will kill it, if you have a steam cleaner, also the vinegar suggested is a good mildewcide itself, but you may want to replace it anyway, if you don't kill it all it will come back if there is any moisture in the seat.
    Vector

7. cdatte

cdatte Karting

Mar 1, 2007
    san diego
    Full Name:
    Chuck
    getting back on this after deployment. The seats look like it was injected molded foam.
    I want to be able to blast and paint the frame. but it looks like that would be dicey.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

8. cianfichi

cianfichi Rookie

Oct 21, 2013
    Looks like thats what they call closed cell foam. Incidentally, are you treating the leather with anything?
    Vince

9. cdatte

cdatte Karting

Mar 1, 2007
    san diego
    Full Name:
    Chuck
    No, on my testarossa I've been using leatherique which has been good.
    I was also using it on the mondial-t until I tore into it.
    I bought new leather from HVL netherlands, very nice and very close to original
    thanks Vince.

10. JLF

JLF Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 8, 2009
  11. cdatte

cdatte Karting

Mar 1, 2007
    san diego
    Full Name:
    Chuck
    S