Goodbye, ILLinois | Page 12 | FerrariChat

Goodbye, ILLinois

Discussion in 'Chicago' started by spike308, Apr 1, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. norbert

norbert Formula Junior

Jun 22, 2003
    Charlotte, NC Area
    Full Name:
    Norbert Ertel
    JP, feel we are looking at the larger picture through two different windows. If one considers the negatives as I do against the positives, how does on end up with a positive view of living in this state?

Several comments again recently by the powers that be saying that the U.S. is better off at this time than the rest of the World reminds me of the old saying: "In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king". Personally, that doesn't give me much assurance of my future. I really do wish you only the best in life sincerely as we travel the roads we choose.

Norbert

2. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    Richest in the Midwest.

3. norbert

norbert Formula Junior

Jun 22, 2003
    Charlotte, NC Area
    Full Name:
    Norbert Ertel
    Thank you...

4. norbert

norbert Formula Junior

Jun 22, 2003
    Charlotte, NC Area
    Full Name:
    Norbert Ertel
    #279 norbert, Jun 12, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2016
  5. absent

absent F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 2, 2003
    illinois
    Full Name:
    mark k.
    Richest towns in US:
    America?s Richest (and Poorest) Towns - 24/7 Wall St.

6. amenasce

Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
  7. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    Still less than TEXAS with a average 1.81 property tax rate for the whole state. Illinois average is 1.73. Houses are a lot cheaper in most Texas cities compared to Chicago, so that helps. You could afford to have a barn to park the pickup trucks in down in Texas :)

8. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C

Our high property tax compensates for the lack of state income tax here in Texas.

BTW, in Texas, pickups are parked outside. Or, on the lawn. Nice cars go in the barn. 😉

T

9. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    High sales tax also helps offset that, especially if you live in a town that has a new sports arena like Arlington. I almost chocked when I saw the sales tax. I expect that in a big city like Chicago or New York.

10. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    ^ Yep. Thought this was interesting. I guess you can't spell Texas without taxes! 😀
    [​IMG]
    T

11. JP365

JP365 Formula 3

Mar 8, 2007
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    John F
    Hi Norbert,
    I'm not ignoring you, I'm just swamped at work and haven't had time to respond. Your last post about the quality of healthcare, shopping, restaurants, etc...leads me to believe you also see some of the good in Illinois. Chicago is the center of the world for futures trading. We are the U.S. center for HFTs, Illinois is the #5 grain producer in the country despite being 25th in land mass. We are a top ten petroleum state because of the refineries. Caterpillar and Ford are also still here, just to name a few positive things in this state. We have a burgeoning tech hub in the city. Four research one universities in Chicagoland. I could go on, but Thieving ILLinois is the title of this thread (thieving/leaving, I thought it was funny). If those beach bums in California can bring themselves back from the brink, I know we can. Our state income tax is the 4th lowest in America (16th if you count the twelve states that don't have an income tax). I probably won't get to die here. My wife hates the winters, and who knows where my kids will decide to live. That being said, I have to believe we can take our state back and make it profitable again.

12. spike308

spike308 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    Austin TX!
    Full Name:
    Mike Z
    just saw that this thread was dusted off again!!

Texas, after 3 years, is still great!
    property taxes are somewhat high, but still less than I was paying in the Chicago burbs.
    where I live, they are talking about LOWERING rates, because of the rapid property appreciation (when has that ever happened in ILL?!?!).
    Our property taxes are base only on value. None of that "modifier" / other fees Crook County does.

Illinois.... well, was just back there for a week. Nice place to visit.

What's wrong with ILLinois?
    small insight:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9TbDCNImT4c

13. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    #288 TheMayor, Jun 17, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2016
    My property taxes fell dramatically in Las Vegas after the crash (of course, we were hard hurt). The reason: Values dropped so the country reviewed property values and lowered the taxes.

My property taxes are far less than California (mainly because property is so much more expensive in California) and they've been under the Prop 13 mandate since the 80's. However car registration fees are similar (high).

Nevada and Texas have something in common -- no state Income tax. My feeling is that the states that have no income taxes have to be more creative and careful with spending because it's just too darn easy to always add another 1/2 percent to state income taxes. If you start with zero, then 1/2 is a HUUUUGE deal. If you are at 7%, it's easy to go to 7 1/2, then 8, then 8 1/2....

One thing I really like about Nevada -- when you trade in your used car you can take that amount of the sales tax on the new one. So if you buy a car for $30 grand and you're trade in is worth 20, you only pay for 10 grand of sales tax (about 7%). In California you'd pay nearly 10% on the full amount of 30 grand. I'm not sure about Ill and Tx if they do the same thing.

14. JP365

JP365 Formula 3

Mar 8, 2007
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    John F
    The 1.5 modifier was not implemented by Cook County. It was forced through by down state republicans and democrats as a way to adjust for urban vs rural/agriculrural land values. Of course Madigan doesn't do anything to change this because his law firm specializes in tax appeals. Buddy of mine moved to South Lake last year and his property taxes are almost the same as his house in Chicago even though his house in South Lake cost about 300k LESS than his house in Chicago. For him it made sense because of the high school and his work/travel schedule.

15. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C

Howdy Mayor...Texas is the same, at least that is my reading. From Texas.gov.

Will a trade-in reduce the taxable value?
    The value of a motor vehicle received by the seller as consideration on the purchase of another motor vehicle reduces the taxable value of the purchase.

BTW, cars here are taxed at 6.25%, not the full 8.25% sales tax...T

16. absent

absent F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 2, 2003
    illinois
    Full Name:
    mark k.
    Same in Illinois, tax on a difference between new car and traded in.

17. amenasce

Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    We just drove from Chicago to Columbus for the FCA. On the way back something hit me..We did 300 or so miles in IN and OH and saw 0 Tolls..but from the IL State line to Naperville, we saw 2 or maybe 3 tolls (or 50 miles or so)...

Kinda tells you where you are.

18. Townshend

Townshend F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 20, 2005
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Walter
    You should've hit tolls at the state borders no?

19. JP365

JP365 Formula 3

Mar 8, 2007
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    John F
    The tolls in Illinois are nuts. I have family near Columbus, and if you stay off of the turnpikes, you can drive to Columbus virtually toll free. Route70 IIRC. Ohio has some great back roads for driving. Twisty with rolling hills.

20. jjmalez

jjmalez F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 8, 2005
    Northern Illinois
    Full Name:
    Joseph
    Flew out of O'hare Airport over the weekend. Grabbed a Diet Coke from one of the news stands. Receipt in hand. Sales tax 13.25%

Are you 'effing kidding me?

21. Townshend

Townshend F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 20, 2005
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Walter
    Don't look at parking taxes in the city

22. amenasce

Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    20%+..

23. norbert

norbert Formula Junior

Jun 22, 2003
    Charlotte, NC Area
    Full Name:
    Norbert Ertel

My Catapillar stock hasn't done much or less. With the rest of the points, which I had no sort of interest in reading...appreciate the time you spent....Any way not sure where the can of worms have gone....Lost else with the rest...Sorry will review your post again...

24. norbert

norbert Formula Junior

Jun 22, 2003
    Charlotte, NC Area
    Full Name:
    Norbert Ertel
  25. Webby

Webby F1 Veteran

Sep 12, 2004
    Is owning a home / living in Lake County better than Cook County?