Dino | Page 3 | FerrariChat

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    Only downside for the street (IMO) is the long gearing from 2nd on up. 355/360/430 is better off in this regard.

2. redcaruser

redcaruser Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 8, 2012
    switzerland
    Full Name:
    daniel
    In principle I also represent the opinion that it is a mistake.

But on the other hand Ferrari has the California as entry model, since its launch the must successful Ferrari in sales. Maybe Ferrari must rethink first its model strategy, sharpen the positioning of each model, a Dino in 2017 maybe will more harm (California) than benefit (as a direct competitor against the 570S).

I don't see the approach to launch a cheaper and detuned 488 version (next gen) as a reasonable solution, this would unnecessarily weaken the top model.

3. maha

maha F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2014
    dinajpur, bangladesh
    Full Name:
    mahmud
  4. Traveller

Traveller F1 Veteran

Apr 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Tim
    I posted six weeks or so ago that I understood the project had been binned, so the article chimes with my information. The supposed Mule does not.

5. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    #55 Melvok, May 6, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Well ... more rumours :D

It says in their preview ...
    Though the V-6 could have the same 90-degree layout as the Ferrari V-8, R&D is also considering a F1-style 120-degree V-6, which would help forestall unpleasant vibration
    and push down the center of gravity. Ferrari says that 600 hp is feasible, and that’s before adding any electric power-assist systems. The best part about this V-6, though,
    is that it will be made-to-measure for the Ferrari Dino Concept, which Montezemolo wouldn’t approve but Marchionne is eager to build.
    The Dino, which might come to market as the 486, will look butch and aggressive rather than sleek and elegant like the original Dino 246 GT from 1969.
    Call the Dino an entry-level Ferrari if you want, but since the price will start around $200,000, we won’t.
    This compact mid-engine coupe will be derived from the completely redesigned Ferrari 488 GTB, but it will sit on a shorter, slightly narrower platform.
    It will have minimal overhangs, a low roofline, and unique lights, bumpers, wheels, and doors.

I wonder ......
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. fredhassen

fredhassen Formula Junior

Apr 18, 2015
    Las Vegas, Nevada
    Full Name:
    Fred Hassen
    +1

Cars:

2013 Ferrari 458 Spider
    2014 Porsche 911 Turbo S Cab

7. redcaruser

redcaruser Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 8, 2012
    switzerland
    Full Name:
    daniel
    You quote a very old article from Georg Kacher, Auto Bild, August 19, 2015 (Illustrated by: A. Avarvarii).

8. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    For I believe 30 years in the car business writing about various cars George Kacher has great and up to date knowledge. He is not always right ( and sometimes companies change course abruptly) but on the Dino question I believe he is correct. Also that Ferrari took the LaFerrari spider as it's 70 car and not any newer looking product shows they are watching the bottom line closely...

9. Twosherpaz

Twosherpaz Formula Junior

Feb 25, 2014
    Thermal, CA
    Full Name:
    Private
    The love shared here for the 570 is surprising. I found the engine utterly uninspiring as compared to even the 650, which itself is a light year behind the 675.

If you've decided to eschew an arousing engine and state of the art vehicle, I suppose you open up a wide range of alternatives. But to surmise that the 570 somehow overshadows or replaces an as yet unreleased Ferrari doesn't make sense to me.

Does the 570 represent a challenge to its actual target, the 911, sure.

10. abstamaria

abstamaria F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2006
    Full Name:
    Andres
    I hope so. If smaller, lighter, I would buy one.

11. Nelsonc275

Nelsonc275 Formula 3

Sep 27, 2013
  12. Randyslovis

Randyslovis Formula Junior

Jul 7, 2011
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Randall J Slovis
    This "mule" was shown a number of months ( a year?) ago and was said to be the Dino mule. I am not saying it was or is, just what my memory credits Autoweek and CAR having said of this pic.
    Additionally, when the Dino concept was originally brought up in Ferrari's production "plan", Georg Kacher said it would NOT be priced cheaper than the California. He stated it would be similarly priced to the California. I recall him saying that in markets - like China - that had high taxes on big V8s, it would be significantly less than the 458/488 net. In America, it would be a cheaper option than Ferrari's mid-engined V8s which are/were headed into the stratosphere in terms of price. The Dino would be priced above a Porsche Turbo so not exactly cheap. Plus, it would not give up market share to McLaren and Mercedes who now have in the 570 and AMG GT-R, some very compelling products.
    Lastly, my personal opinion is that by increasing the different body styles available rather than increasing the production of just the current body styles, you could increase production (Ferrari's plans, not my plan). This could at the same time keep demand for each model above production capacity.
    Best

13. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    It's the mule. I'm still not convinced Ferrari is going to make it. Most likely it will just cannibalize whatever the 488 replacement is.

I think McLaren will have the same problem with the 570's. The 570's will cut into their more expensive versions and net / net, not really improve profits

14. geertf60

geertf60 Karting

Nov 24, 2003
    hamme - belgium
    #65 geertf60, Jul 3, 2016
    OK, you can say there is one mule, but in this picture you have 2 of them. And why building 2 cars if you want to test things you can do with one car? For me its' interesting what they are doing/testing with this cars. Especially why the car in front enginecover is tapped.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

15. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
    Very interesting indeed - could they be 488 speciale's because it's a little too early to see next gen mules out and about - IMO

16. spiders

spiders Formula Junior

Jun 8, 2012
    #67 spiders, Jul 3, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2016
    At first glance, the scoops look good. Aggressive. But something is wrong... the door contour is that of a 458. The scoops look rough and irregular.

Also, note the position of the door handle. It's up high, like on the 458. The front is pure 458.

Looks like a 458 was morphed into something with a homebrew scoop. 488 mule?... or what?

17. WJGESQ

WJGESQ Formula 3

Dec 30, 2004
  18. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mel
    #69 Melvok, Jan 23, 2017
  19. 3POINT8

3POINT8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2014
    looks like a maserati

20. 458italia2014

458italia2014 Formula 3

Aug 3, 2013
    not bad. If that came with a v8 twin turbo pumping out say 550-600hp with a lighter body, and a price point of the 570s, it would be a good competitor in the price range.

21. 2GT

2GT Formula 3

Aug 25, 2008
    Western NY
    Full Name:
    Fred
    For cost reasons, and due to the fact that the original Dino had a V6, I would imagine any "new" Dino would have a V6, most likely turbocharged. There has to be some significant demarcation between the Dino range, the mid-engine V8 range, and even the California T. That being said, I don't know that there is enough room, price-wise, to slot a V6 Ferrari in under the California. It wouldn't make sense to price it between the California and the 488 series (with a V6, not a V8), and if that were the case, it very possibly would find few buyers. I think the whole project is based on a lot of wishful thinking, and Marchionne's desire to up production figures. The business case looks shaky to me, but I'm not a bean counter, it's just my personal opinion. Fred

22. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mel
    There will always be a demand for new F's Fred ... no worry. :)

23. 458italia2014

458italia2014 Formula 3

Aug 3, 2013
    even so with a v6 turbo, I think there would be a market for it