Any Idea Whats Happening at IMSS | FerrariChat

Any Idea Whats Happening at IMSS

Discussion in 'Asia' started by Sir Paul, Mar 15, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Sir Paul

Sir Paul Formula Junior

Feb 22, 2008
    HONG KONG
    Hi HK folks,
    Does anyone know what is happening at IMSS these days. I contacted Alex Chan who looked after my service last year and it seems he has gone now (I suspect to Blackbird?). Michael Hope is gone and as we know, so have a few of the service engineers to Blackbird and Musketeers.

Do IMSS still have the skillsets to look after the older models and can Ferrari still provide training and support for 10 year plus models?

Should I be looking elsewhere to preserve the quality and performance of my car?

Any views?
    Thanks
    PAUL

2. piezo

piezo Formula 3

May 27, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Full Name:
    Steven
    Almost everyone gone to Blackbird late last year. The current crew was mostly from Porsche dealership. I've switched to Blackbird where Willem and Alex are now. Samuel quit as well and working in another profession as I heard.

Unsure whether Ferrari is providing adequate training to the new guys or not, but the experience cannot be replaced IMHO.

3. Sir Paul

Sir Paul Formula Junior

Feb 22, 2008
    HONG KONG
    Thanks Steven
    Had a good discussion with Alex, John Newman and Willem and now mine is going to Blackbird tomorrow.
    Your comments are reassuring.
    Thanks and regards
    PAUL

4. bkhko

bkhko Formula Junior

Sep 30, 2011
    HKG
    Full Name:
    Koby
    IMSS dropping the ball left right and centre. Wasted an afternoon on something that should have been a simple service. Not to mention the crazy distance to get to shatin only to leave disappointed.

5. seb2012

seb2012 Rookie

Jul 11, 2016
    Hong Kong
    Does Blackbird do PPI? If not, does anyone know a good shop that does? Looking at a 550 listed by Auto Italia. I think they inspected the car but would not share content of report.

6. piezo

piezo Formula 3

May 27, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Full Name:
    Steven
    Heard that more trouble with IMSS and its changing hands again. Anyone has more info?

7. daflk

daflk Formula Junior

Jan 27, 2013
    Hong Kong
    IMSS lost the Ferrari dealership so very well these guys got wind and bailed.

8. Simon1965

Simon1965 Formula Junior

Feb 8, 2011
    HKSAR
    Full Name:
    Simon

Any idea who's going to get the Licence to import now that IMSS have lost it ?

9. hutsutau

hutsutau Rookie

Nov 2, 2012
    quite curious about why IMSS lost the licence to distribute Ferrari in HK in the first place

10. tonyhk

tonyhk Rookie

Apr 19, 2016
    hong kong
    supposedly really bad service / management since the new owners took over 3 years ago. As above alot of quality staff have left or tol to go. Must be huge amount of complaints for Ferrari to drop IMSS who have been the HK agents for more than 30 years and HK has a very high percentage of Fcars per head of population

Blackbird think are favorites to take over in May but nothing announced yet.

Interested to see how the new agents handle new cars ordered through IMSS also whether they will still accept IMSS cars as trade ins.

11. tonyhk

tonyhk Rookie

Apr 19, 2016
    hong kong
    seems the frontrunner is Blackbird but nothing cnfmd.

Richard Lee who owned IMSS for nearly 30 years sold out to new owners 3 years ago and I guess things have headed south since then - good staff leaving or fired, lot of complaints etc - big decision by Ferrari to change agents in HK after 30 years especially as HK has one of the highest percentage of ferrari owners per head of population in the world.

I am stuck in limbo having given Auto Italia a deposit for a new F car and now not knowing when / who will deliver this.

It should not be this difficult

12. Simon1965

Simon1965 Formula Junior

Feb 8, 2011
    HKSAR
    Full Name:
    Simon
    As a hk based owner who had to deal with Italian motors for a decade it's easy to see why they lost it. I hope blackbird are successful at getting the franchise

13. mrbear123

mrbear123 Rookie

Jan 21, 2015
    Hong Kong
    i heard from the sales that ferrari is likely to take over and run it by themselves, not sure tho.

14. daflk

daflk Formula Junior

Jan 27, 2013
    Hong Kong
    not a bad solution. blackbird has good reputation but if they take over they'll jack up prices for sure, so its good to have competent independents so I'm all for Ferrari taking over themselves, like they have in China.

15. tonyhk

tonyhk Rookie

Apr 19, 2016
    hong kong
    seems official that Blackbird will be the new HK Ferrari agent. Good news. Will be finalized before the 26th June.

16. virendra

virendra Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 14, 2008
    Hong Kong
    Full Name:
    virendra anand
    Dont think IMSS was owned by Richard Lee for 30 years but maybe wrong. It was Herbert Adamczyk/Klaus Doerr/Ian geekie and Fred Merril who were in the initial setup called IMSS and German Motors in Sung Wong Toi Road for many years. I used to buy my Lancias from them ( 1988 till 1993) and get them serviced / Rally prepared till Nigel Baker took over the service side when they opened the body shop in Tai Kok Tsui. Willen and Sunny were the pillars of the service team with experience since the late 80's. . They expanded and then Richard lee / Wo Kee Hong Group got involved with Herbert still managing day to day affairs. I think 4 years ago the franchise got sold to some other investor who probably had no passion for cars but saw it as a business and most garages who bought parts from them found them v hard to deal with. Even getting a simple spare here was a nightmare. Ferrari opened their own office in HK this yr and Blackbird aquired the sales franchise with a progressive switch of the service . The existing dealers retain Maserati as far as I know.

Drove past To Kwa Wan last week and noticed KK also vanished. ANyone know if they too closed or relocated. Not many outfits here with SD2/3 or Leonardo to do cam belt services other than Musketeers and KK I thought.

17. Birel

Birel Formula 3

Sep 12, 2005
    Brisbane
    Full Name:
    Andrew Turner
    Not to forget Andrew Turner, one of the IMSS founding owners 1983-1993 !!

virendra, kocan and kerrari like this.
  18. dailo

dailo Karting

Apr 25, 2013
    KK has moved to Kowloon Bay, 17 Hung To Road.

19. virendra

virendra Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 14, 2008
    Hong Kong
    Full Name:
    virendra anand
    Tks for the info. Not many people in HK with the diagnostic tools

20. dailo

dailo Karting

Apr 25, 2013
    Yea their Leonardo computer is super helpful!