very early diablo are some of the quickest: Myth or Truth? | Page 3 | FerrariChat

very early diablo are some of the quickest: Myth or Truth?

Discussion in 'LamborghiniChat.com' started by EMILIO, Jul 5, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. EMILIO

EMILIO F1 Veteran

Feb 23, 2006
    Italia
    #51 EMILIO, Jul 11, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    i add a picture of the same plate, on a 1994 VT

would be now nice to see plates from a 1990 and 1991 car

now that we sourced the plates 1992-93-94 are all the same
    even engine code is the same but we know the engines are different
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Lemacc

Lemacc Formula 3
    BANNED

Mar 16, 2008
    Germany
    Here is a german statement copied from a german car forum about the pre-production Diablos. Unforunately only in german:

"Die ersten Diablos aus dem ersten kompletten Produktionsjahr hatten massive Probleme mit der Verarbeitungsqualität (Fenstergummis, etc...). Es gab damals - zumindest hier in Deutschland - sogar eine IG der ersten Diablo owner, welche zusammengeschlossen mächtig Druck aufs Werk ausübten und so kostenlose und umfangreiche Nachbesserungen an ihren Neuwagen "erzwungen". Erst ab Einführung des VT wurden Probleme und Kinderkrankheiten bezwungen und dazu noch gern gesehene Verbesserungen wie Servo, Fahrwerksverstellung und große Bremse montiert. Ich persönlich würde darum einen großen Bogen um Baujahre vor dem VT machen.
    Mit einer Ausnahme: Die Null-Serie des Diablo! Eine Vorserienproduktion für den Produktionstestlauf und für Marketingzwecke, Fototermine sowie für Journalisten. Diese Diablos sind so "offiziell" nie gebaut worden. Man erkennt sie an der Position der vorderen Blinker und der "cleanen" Heckschürze. Beides ist in der dann folgenden Serienfertigung aufgrund gesetzlicher Bestimmungen noch schnell abgeändert worden. Diese Fahrzeuge sollten eigentlich alle (!) im Besitz des Werkes bleiben und später zu Erprobungstests (Bremse, Fahrwerk,...) verwendet werden. Trotzdem sind wohl eine Handvoll in Privathände gelangt. Wieviele kann ich auch nach all den Jahren nicht sagen. Sie sind so extrem selten auf dem Markt, so dass sie für eingefleischte Lambo-Sammler sicherlich interessant sein dürften. Die wenigsten Diablo-Interessenten wissen von diesen Fakten, darum sind diese Diablos der Null-Serie auch der Unkenntnis wegen extrem günstig. Wenn denn überhaupt zufällig zu finden. In den letzten 5 Jahren konnte ich nur 2 auf dem internationalen Markt aufspüren. Und beide Eigentümer wussten nicht was sie da überhaupt verkaufen wollten.
    ich versuche schon seit langer Zeit hinter die VIN zu kommen. Bisher konnte mir aber niemand sagen bei welcher exakten VIN genau diese Vorserien-Diablos aufhören. Habe dann versucht das Datum für die Änderungen an der allerersten Frontschürzenversion zu bekommen. Null und nix. Selbst in der Teileliste konnte ich für den 2WD nur eine Frontschürze (die der Serie) finden. Heckschürze ohne Katzenaugen gibt´s wohl auch nicht. Wurden an den allerersten Diablos aber so verbaut.
    Hier die allerersten Frontschürzenversion. Dort liegen die vorderen Blinker auf einer Linie mit der Fuge der Fronthaube. Der in vielen Ländern gesetzlich geforderte Maximalabstand zur Wagenaußenseite war zu groß. Darum wanderten die Blinker weiter nach außen und lagen dann auf einer Linie mit der äußeren Kante der Schlafaugen.
    Hier die allererste Heckschürze ohne Katzenaugen/Rückstrahler. Auch das wurde aufgrund gesetzlicher Bestimmungen dann noch geändert.
    Auf Bildern aus sehr frühen Testberichten (meist mit gelben Diablo) kann man diese kleinen Details oftmals erkennen. Diese für Testzwecke und Fototermine gedachten Diablos gingen alle zurück ins Werk. Zumindest fast alle.
    Den gelben kenn ich wohl, an der Murci-Präsentation 2001 stand der auf dem Platz in Bologna, ich muss mal mein Foto-Archiv durchstöbern, entweder war es LLA12002 oder LLA12008. Interessant auch dass es eine L-Chassisnummer ist, = 1990...
    Mindestens ein gelber innen schwarz, ein roter innen beige, ein roter innen schwarz und - glaube mich zu erinnern - ein schwarzer innen rot."

3. licodix

licodix Formula Junior

Feb 7, 2009
    Central
    Full Name:
    Barchetta Mad Max
    #53 licodix, Jul 11, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2016
    I can confirm that our 1991 "12327", delivered to a well known Italian collector, is a VERY quick car indeed.
    Surely the feelof acceleration is a very subjectiv experience, based on noise level, potentially spinning wheels, etc.
    At any means this is a seriously fast car. As Lamborghini actually tried to make and deliver in 1990/1991 as many cars as the market would absorb, I do doubt that they really changed a lot on the engines before the 4WD came finally 1993. Why should they have done? Changes do cost time, money and effort and the development of the 4WD was surely the priority.
    Further more they were indeed strugglng with quality Ppoblems so I honestly do not believe they cared about relaibility of down-tuning of European cars. For the US market it may have been different, maybe even different engine set-ups from the beginning.
    All 2WD 1990-1992 cars I know, respectivley their owners, do confirm they are really quick - and fast.
    Apart from this, they are raw, they ask the Driver to perform and they are what you want: a wild Lamborghini, not domesticated and ready to rumble with the F40.

4. EMILIO

EMILIO F1 Veteran

Feb 23, 2006
    Italia
    #54 EMILIO, Jul 11, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2016
    thanks for post:
    can you post a pic of your car identification PLATE? since we have not pics of 1991 cars posted yet...a picture of your car is more than welcome to! :)
    curious to know the name of the italian collector...can you share with us? very likely i heard of him before

ALL early diablos are wild animals,: 1990 to 1993, hard to drive, hard to master, they accelerate much better than they brakes...absoluterly NOT domesticated and quick.
    this said, it looks like the 2wd are not all the same and probably the very early ones have some differnces that makes them even faster. would be nice to find out what
    the US diablos are slower: timing slightly different, 4 cats instead of 2, bumpers, etc...more weight and less power

p.s. i am sure the engines were changed in mid to late 1993 2wd diablos.
    they put the same engine as the VT cars, please note that the VT was tested around March 1993 by Autocapital magazine, so the VT engine was already available in early 1993. combine this with the reliability problems of early diablos and we probably have the explanations on the "ibrid cars".

Also a way to really "test" the VT engine with real customers, on production cars, before the new model would come out. Nobody would notice one or 2 more problems with a 2wd diablo ....while the VT would be different: better the new model to come out without any problems since very first car.

it is no mistery the VT cars were a succes with press and customers and VT engines more reliable

5. Andrew R.

Andrew R. Formula Junior

Jun 27, 2005
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Quickest Diablo I ever drove was the 94 SE30... love that car!

6. gday

gday Formula 3

Sep 10, 2004
    CA, USA - NSW, AUS
    Full Name:
    Mick
    Translated:

"The first Diablos from the first full production year had massive problems with the quality of workmanship (window rubbers, etc ...) There were -. At least here in Germany - even an IG the first Diablo owner, which together powerful pressure on the work exercised and so free and comprehensive improvements in its new car "forced". It was not until the introduction of the VT were problems and teething defeated plus like mounted seen improvements such as servo, chassis adjustment and large brake. personally, I would therefore make a wide berth of construction prior to VT.
    With one exception: The zero series of Diablo! A pre-production for the production test run and for marketing purposes, as well as photo opportunities for journalists. This Diablos have been so "officially" never built. They are recognized by the position of the front turn signals and the "clean" rear apron. Both have even changed quickly in the then following serial production due to legal regulations. These vehicles were supposed to all (!) Remain the property of the work and later for experimental tests (brakes, suspension, ...) are used. Nevertheless, probably a handful have fallen into private hands. How many I can not say that after all these years. They are extremely rare in the market, so they certainly should be interesting for hardcore Lambo-collector. Less Diablo interested to know of these facts, therefore this Diablos of zero-series are also of ignorance because of extremely low. If because ever happen to reside. In the last 5 years I could only track 2 on the international market. And both owners did not know what she was trying to sell at all.
    I've been trying for a long time to get behind the VIN. but far I could tell no one at which exact VIN exactly stop these pre-production Diablos. I then tried to get the date for changes to the very first version front apron. Zero and nothing. Even in the parts list I could find only a front apron (the series) for the 2WD. Rear apron without cats eyes not Gibt's well. Were but as fitted to the very first Diablos.
    Here is the very first version front apron. There, the front blinkers are in line with the groove of the bonnet. The law in many countries required maximum distance from the car outside was too great. Therefore the indicators wandered on to the outside and then lay on a line with the outer edge of the sleepy eyes.
    Here the very first rear apron without cat eyes / reflector. Even that was then changed by law.
    On images from very early test results (usually with yellow Diablo) can often detect these small details. This imaginary for testing purposes and photo opportunities Diablos all went back to work. Well, almost all.
    The yellow I know well, was at the presentation Murci 2001, on the square in Bologna, I must go Browse my photo archive, either it was LLA12002 or LLA12008. Also interesting is that there is an L-VIN = 1990 ...
    black At least one yellow inside, beige inside a red, a red inside black and - seem to remember -. a black red inside "

7. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

man, I still feel stupid for not having bought Ralph's se 30. it was a beauty and looking back...a true bargain! ouch...still hurts:(

8. raymondQV

raymondQV F1 Rookie

Aug 22, 2007
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Raymond S.
    I think that's LA12007, the well known yellow car. Saw it as well, most likely the car for many car magazines and for sure well tuned...
    Like the press ferraris, highly tuned engines no standard car got normally.

9. Lars_vet

Lars_vet Formula Junior

Feb 25, 2007
    On the open road
    Full Name:
    Lars
    Interesting thread OP.
    Early cars are indeed FAST.

Please consider that USA, Swiss and Sweden market cars all have differecne ECUs with different engine mapping to fit the tighter polution requirements. part no. 002029747. These ECUS also have a large "US" sticker on them.

10. EMILIO

EMILIO F1 Veteran

Feb 23, 2006
    Italia
    thank you Lars :)

would be nice if you can post a pic of yours and the plate of your car

11. EMILIO

EMILIO F1 Veteran

Feb 23, 2006
    Italia
    #61 EMILIO, Jul 12, 2016
  12. Lars_vet

Lars_vet Formula Junior

Feb 25, 2007
    On the open road
    Full Name:
    Lars
    #62 Lars_vet, Jul 13, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2016
    Sure EMILO, below is the engine comparment plate.

To further add to the thread.

There was no two major updates for the 91-93 Diablo, sept. 91 and June 92, but primeraly small updates and additions, as;

-Gauge cluster. Early cars pre sept.91 (please verify) have the upper gauges (speedo/tach) outwards, after that reversed.
    -Sept 91. black trim edge above rear grill added, Fuel rail center trim
    Changed shifter mechanism cluster
    -June 92 (to be verified) Fuel rail and pressure regulator end cover + distributor dust cover added.
    -As mentioned the US/CH/SE cars have a different ECU/mapping to match the markets requiremnts for emission. There is no change of cams, pistons, heads, injectors or intake during the production run, that I can find.
    -Talking to people present during the period, It sounded like a busy time at the factory with the engines produced in bulk paralell with the cars, so no real strict cut-off for changes/VINs.

My car is produced after june 92, I belive, and now have the mirrors painted body color. But, I was fortunate enough to have a picture of the car when is was new, showing the grey mirrors and mounting plates.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. EMILIO

EMILIO F1 Veteran

Feb 23, 2006
    Italia
    thank you Lars
    and nice period pic! :)

i cannot read the VIN on the plate thoug

14. EMILIO

EMILIO F1 Veteran

Feb 23, 2006
    Italia
    #64 EMILIO, Jul 13, 2016
    diablo was not born as a track car

but was so quick someone thought to race early one and i think even a VT
    this one in pic is not the only one to have been raced in early 90's
    it featured racing seats and very likely some other mods to make it lighter and better on the lap time BUT very close to a production car

15. Lemacc

Lemacc Formula 3
    BANNED

Mar 16, 2008
    Germany
    The driver in this picture is Tomei Hiromitsu from Japan.

16. EMILIO

EMILIO F1 Veteran

Feb 23, 2006
    Italia
    #66 EMILIO, Jul 13, 2016
    yes,
    not to be confused with the later diablo Sandro Munari drove in Targa Tasmania
    i think a VT diablo
    car won production class and arrived third among all, behind 2 pure racers

17. Lars_vet

Lars_vet Formula Junior

Feb 25, 2007
    On the open road
    Full Name:
    Lars

18. Lemacc

Lemacc Formula 3
    BANNED

Mar 16, 2008
    Germany
    #68 Lemacc, Jul 13, 2016
  19. ace51

ace51 Karting

Jun 30, 2008
    NC
    #69 ace51, Jul 13, 2016
    I've driven a early diablo (91') and later car (99 SV). I didn't notice much of a power difference but I will say the 99 car is much more refined, and it has the most beautiful dash as opposed to the earlier cars (sorry!)! The dash in the 99+ Diablo's is one of the sexiest.

20. EMILIO

EMILIO F1 Veteran

Feb 23, 2006
    Italia
    #70 EMILIO, Jul 13, 2016
    while i agree the 6.0 interior is much more refined, i think the 91 more "spartan" interior goes well with the purity of the early machine.

the pic you posted also show a not so lucky combination and a not completely original interior

the color combination of this one (which i think is one of the proto diablo) is much more succesfull and more classic for an italian sport car

if i had to find a fault on the 6.0 interior, which i think is beautiful, is that it looks a bit "german"

21. EMILIO

EMILIO F1 Veteran

Feb 23, 2006
    Italia
    #71 EMILIO, Jul 13, 2016
    an other interior combination of an early diablo (1990-1991), production model, wich looks fantastic i think

a less common, but not less beautiful, red & black interior

22. EMILIO

EMILIO F1 Veteran

Feb 23, 2006
    Italia
    #72 EMILIO, Jul 13, 2016
  23. EMILIO

EMILIO F1 Veteran

Feb 23, 2006
    Italia
    #73 EMILIO, Jul 13, 2016
    worth to mention a lot of early diablo have been modified in 25 years

some were "updated" to look like newer versions: from SV and SVR to GT lookalike
    even some "chopped" ones
    and some higly tuned-modified versions

some were done by popular tuners, like Strosek, Koenig, etc... (i add a couple pics of them)

NOT to mention the considerable amount of custom modified diablos we all have seen...the result had not been always a succes

find today a clean unmolested early diablo is not so easy as some may believe

i personally think is time to leave them alone, we have probably enough modified early diablos ;)

24. Lemacc

Lemacc Formula 3
    BANNED

Mar 16, 2008
    Germany
    Looks like a very like a prototype or early car.