1978 Fiat X1/9, Original Owner, with Four Post Storage Lift | FerrariChat

1978 Fiat X1/9, Original Owner, with Four Post Storage Lift

Discussion in 'Ad Archives' started by dave80gtsi, Jul 13, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. dave80gtsi

dave80gtsi Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Ohio
    Full Name:
    Dave Meredith
    #1 dave80gtsi, Jul 13, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    For Sale: 1978 Fiat X1/9, Original Owner, with Four Post Storage Lift

Overview

I am the original owner, purchased new in Columbus Ohio in June of 1978. 43,000 miles, all put there by me. The last time that it was caught in the rain was back in 1981.

Body

No rust, anywhere, ever. Period. Undercoated by new car dealer in 1978. No accidents or body damage of any type. Repainted in 2004 in OEM color. The spoilered rear deck lid is an extra - the original non-modified trunk lid is included with car.

Engine

Original 1290 cc OEM block, pistons, and crank, which has never been modified or removed from car. OEM cylinder head flowed, port matched to manifold and header, milled approx. 1 mm. Abarth performance cam. Dual Weber 40 DCNF carbs. Distributor modified for quicker advancement. Lightweight cam gears / "racing" wide cam belt. Stahl header, Jet-Hot ceramic coated. Very rare Ansa quad tip performance muffler.

Transmission

Original 4-speed with 3.76:1 final drive ratio for better cruising rpm (OEM ratio was 4.42:1). New clutch and pressure plate, master and slave cylinders. Lightened flywheel. Shortened shifter lever.

Suspension, Brakes, Wheels and Tires

Koni strut inserts rear, KYB gas strut inserts front (the front Koni's were too stiff for my taste for street use). European front springs, approx 1" lower than USA spec. Adjustable front camber mounts to compensate for lowered springs. Teflon front strut pivot sheet, for easier steering effort. “Whoa” front brake upgrade kit with Wilwood 4-piston calipers and vented rotors. Stainless steel braided brake hoses at all four (4) corners. New master cylinder, using stable silicone DOT-5 brake fluid. Genuine magnesium (not aluminum) Cromodora Daytona 5-star wheels. Falken “H” speed rated directional tires: 185/60 HR 13 front, 205/60 HR 13 rear.

Interior

Original two-tone vinyl upholstery (unique to 1978 model year), Armor-All protected since new, still soft, comfortable and supple. Period-appropriate Pioneer AM / FM / cassette with five (5) speakers / graphic equalizer booster amp / hidden antenna. VDO Oil pressure, Ammeter, and Intake Vacuum gauges added. Momo "Ronnie Peterson" steering wheel. Aftermarket floor mats.

Lighting

Full LED exterior tail lamp conversion. Vintage Marchal headlights. Rare clear side marker light lenses with LED lamps. Aftermarket front fog lights (with LED lamps), serving as Daylight Running Lights.

4-Post Lift

M.I. (brand) 4-poster lift which I custom purchased to exactly fit this car. Operated by a hydraulic cylinder, powered by a 120 V AC electric motor and pump. Nine feet of clear garage ceiling height required.

Accessories which will go with the car

Original 1978 dealer window sticker. EVERY receipt for EVERY significant item ever bought for the car, organized in binders. 4 pcs. OEM steel wheels. Mint OEM trunk lid, painted at the time as the rest of the car (see “Body” comments above). OEM carb, intake manifold, cam, and other similar stock engine take-off parts. Complete OEM exhaust system, from manifold to tailpipe. Pair of front KONI inserts. OEM front springs. Adjustable cam gear, Euro cam belt cover with powder coated backing plate. Big box of smog gear. Complete OEM front disc brake system (calipers, rotors, etc.). Large box of spare Weber DCNF jets. Spare (repaired) twin DCNF manifold. Valve adjustment wrench, set of specific head removal wrenches. Custom fitted indoor car cover. Fiat factory service manual binder. Haynes service manual. Boxes of old Fiat Club of America, Famiglia X1/9, British X1/9 Owners Club, FLU Owner’s Club, Bayless, Serra, Faza, and etc. period accessory newsletters and catalogs. Lots of fun nostalgic reading and tech tips here!

Pricing

Price for full package including car / lift / all accessories as one lot: $15,000.00 USD firm.

(For reference, current Hagerty pricing for a mint condition 1978 X1/9 has been steady for years at $17,500.00 USD.)

Contact Info

Dave Meredith / Powell OH / dmkinetics (- at -) Hotmail (- dot -) com / Cell six-one-four-six-three-too-six-three-five-too.
    Website with 50+ pictures: 1978 X1-9 by dave80gtsi | Photobucket
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. CarbBoxer

CarbBoxer Formula Junior

Oct 7, 2008
    Houston
    Full Name:
    PW
    Really nice looking car. But man those bumpers are XX large!

3. ihavearedferrari

ihavearedferrari F1 Rookie

Nov 23, 2007
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Adam
    Had one as a first car, good times.

4. Mang

Mang F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 11, 2007
    ta HO
    Full Name:
    Mike S.
    Oh man that's nice!

5. Ducman491

Ducman491 Formula 3

Apr 9, 2004
    Mentor OH
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Beautiful!

6. 360Tom

360Tom Formula 3

May 9, 2013
    Burbank, CA
    Full Name:
    Tom
    That is a really neat little car. I like that it has it's own lift too. GLWS.

7. Nurburgringer

Nurburgringer F1 World Champ

Jan 3, 2009
    Texass
    Damn, there can't be many left in the world in this condition!!

Love how the speedo goes to 130. Italian optimism at it's best :)

same here, except I had 3 :/
    All '79s, 1 to drive and 2 for spares. Most expensive was $400, in the late 80s.

I never drove a 1300cc, but probably not much, if any slower than the 1500.
    Mine had the same air cleaners, webers, and we bored it out but still had something less than neck snapping acceleration... still, what a cool car. Like a mini 308 in many ways.

I wouldn't mind picking one up someday, modded for track use.

GLWS!

8. ylshih

ylshih Shogun Assassin
    Honorary Owner

Mar 21, 2004
    Northern CA
    Full Name:
    Yin
    Very nice!! I'm tempted but sadly lack garage space (my clear height is only 8' so the lift won't help).

A 76' X1/9 was my first sports car also (second actual car as my first car was a Toyota Corolla). I have very fond memories of driving that car on Socal canyon and mountain roads.

9. Devilsolsi

Devilsolsi F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 1, 2007
    MD
    Full Name:
    Alex
    That is way too cool of a car for $15K

10. the_stig

the_stig F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2005
    1974 X1/9 was the first car I purchased as opposed to a family hand-me-down. Mine was red and I put the same Ansa exhaust on it. In hindsight I feel really sorry for the people who lived at the bottom of a downhill on the entrance to a sharp bend over a narrow bridge on the way home from my girlfriend's house... Some really great memories and I miss it still. Have often thought of buying another one.
    Beautiful car, GLWS!

11. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    I had one the exact same year. IMO, those were the best looking bumpers of the entire series.

12. kerrari

kerrari Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2004
    Coolum Beach AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    Karen H.
    Boy if you were in Aus I would have smashed your door down in about 10 secs after you posted!

13. 09Scuderia

09Scuderia Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 20, 2011
    USA
    Full Name:
    Max
    So nice. Is it just me or do those cars look 10000xs better vs 20 years ago!

$15k really is a great price.

14. spicedriver

spicedriver F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2011
    Very good condition car. I do miss the 4 spoke steering wheel, and 8 ball shifter that I had on my '74. We used to autocross her, which was big fun.

15. 2dinos

2dinos F1 Rookie

Jan 13, 2007
    I had a '79 which I bought brand new, and kept for 16 yrs and 230,000++ miles. Loved that X1/9!! GLWS.

16. wda24729

wda24729 Formula 3

Sep 22, 2014
    Devon, UK
    Full Name:
    Graham
    and with the car lift?? That's a steal at 15k...local Fiat clubs would be worshipping that over here!

Love the colour. GLWS

17. JG333SP

JG333SP Formula 3

Mar 24, 2010
    N Shore, MA
    Full Name:
    Jim G
    That is a steal with the lift-but the real story is orig owner and NO RUST. Man these cars are easy to work on. Somebody is going to get a real bargain

18. Dave1442397

Dave1442397 Karting

Feb 11, 2007
    Cherry Hill, NJ
    Fantastic looking car, and a bargain price too. My cousin used to buy and restore these cars back in the '80s - some of the older ones rusted out fast in the Irish climate :)

19. Ehamilton

Ehamilton Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 13, 2010
    Durham, NC; USA
    Full Name:
    Eric Hamilton
    Yep - the chassis was never designed to carry NHTSA-approved bumpers, and it shows. The earlier models are more like what the X1/9 is supposed to look like: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fiat_X1/9#/media/File:1974_FiatX1.9.jpg

There are many options for going back to the earlier look, and most of them cost like a rounding error compared to Ferrari ownership.

20. porkchopious

porkchopious Formula Junior

Oct 11, 2009
    Oakton, VA
    Full Name:
    David
    That is one sweet combo! Good luck!

21. sjmst

sjmst F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 31, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Sam
    I have an "82 and it's one of the most fun cars I've ever driven.

22. ProCoach

ProCoach F1 Veteran
    Owner

Sep 15, 2004
    VIR Raceway
    Full Name:
    Peter Krause
    I had a '74 I drove for years. Worked in a Fiat dealership and sold the last new "Bertones" in 1983-84. Went to factory training at Accokeek, Maryland and ended up teaching the class! They're fun cars and this one looks fantastic. Tasteful mods, reasonable price. GLWS.

23. dave80gtsi

dave80gtsi Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Ohio
    Full Name:
    Dave Meredith
    #23 dave80gtsi, Jul 14, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Folks – Many thanks for your kind comments and support!

Yes, this car has been my baby for the past 38 years. But with my retirement years looming, it is time to find it a new home.

If any of you have any questions whatsoever about the car, just post them here, or else contact me privately via the info in the ad (e-mail works best for me).

Replies to several PM questions I have received:

1) Midwest-Bayless (by coincidence, located here in Columbus) is a reliable source for any and all spare / restoration / hi-performance parts that one could ever need. They also sell a neat Euro bumper conversion kit, for those of you who do not like the (admitted, large) US-spec safety bumpers of the era. Midwest-Bayless Italian Auto

2) My 308 also fits quite well onto the lift, but any car wider than that model might not. The lift is oh-so-handy for performing routine 308 maintenance, such as belts and brakes – just raise the car a couple of feet off of the ground so that you can comfortably sit on a stool for the work, rather than the need for jack stands and awkward squatting / lying on the floor.

3) Note that, if your "bottom" car is short in height (like my 308 as shown in the picture), you can modify the lift so to lower the top platform down from its 5 ft. height, which would permit the use of the lift in a garage with less than 9 ft. of clear ceiling height.

4) Due to the bulk and weight of the lift, plus the myriad of boxes of parts and memorabilia, neither one of us can realistically consider shipping this car. You will need to collect it all here in person, and you will need a large truck to carry the disassembled lift and all of the accessories.

5) A deposit of $500.00 USD payable thru PayPal will be required by the buyer to hold the car until that time that we can together sort out the local collection logistics.

Thanks - DM

24. Jdubbya

Jdubbya The $10 Trillion Man
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    Wow those bumpers are something else. Pretty amazing looking car and a sweet deal for somebody. Wish I was ready for something.

25. BLUROAD

BLUROAD F1 Veteran

Feb 3, 2006
    Tustin Ranch, Cali
    Full Name:
    Enrico Pollini