Question for mechanics on Toyota Land Cruiser | FerrariChat

Question for mechanics on Toyota Land Cruiser

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by Husker, Jul 17, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Husker

Husker F1 World Champ

Dec 31, 2003
    western hemisphere
    #1 Husker, Jul 17, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2016
    I'm looking at a 2011 Land Cruiser for my son. 93K miles and seemingly good shape. However it appears that the towing package has been used - to tow either a boat or RV.

Does this stress the engine or transmission in such a way as to impact the life of the vehicle? Probably a dumb question but wanted to ask.

Also, the oil been changed abou every 7-8 thousand miles, but in two occasions there was a 10K mile interval. Is that a red flag? All maintenance was done at the original franchise dealership.

2. 355dreamer

355dreamer F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 3, 2006
    DC Metro
    Full Name:
    L.C.
    Are those trail rated?

3. Husker

Husker F1 World Champ

Dec 31, 2003
    western hemisphere
    There is no badge on it so I would have to assume not. Only Jeeps are Trail Rated my friend.

4. henryr

henryr Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    they are tanks.....

wouldnt be concerned with those oil changes

5. Bradwilliams

Bradwilliams F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

#5 Bradwilliams, Jul 18, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2016
    +1

A good friend of mine got one of these as his first car in high school (95 model)

Never changed the oil once over a 60k mile period. Runs perfectly to this day LOL

Plan on doing oil changes, pads, and tires every once in awhile and little else. Those trucks are nails. I've heard the same story regarding the 4runners.

6. Nativetroy

Nativetroy F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2010
    central fl
    Full Name:
    Troy
    Yes, it can add more stress. But there are a lot of variables. The weight and wind resistance, terrain, hills or flat land. Has the trans been serviced? I wouldn't worry about it, most people aren't going to tow really heavy loads with a short wheelbase SUV. I'd do a normal check over. They are usually solid truck.

7. henryr

henryr Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    or a bike rack......

8. Hoodude

Hoodude F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 5, 2007
    North Carolina
    Full Name:
    RE
    Better than a tank...and mobil1 is rated for 10k miles..excellent choice for any driver,young or old..LexusLX is a little more expensive but can be found with less miles than TLC's usually...most of them used to haul three or more kids to lacrosse practice,the LX.
    Cheers,RE
    Husker?..is that really you? Any news alpaca wise?

9. Bradwilliams

Bradwilliams F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

An LX450 would be uber cool. You don't see many around these days

10. Gran Drewismo

Gran Drewismo F1 Rookie

Jan 24, 2005
    Idaho
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    LX is pretty much the same as TLC just without some of the off-roading capabilities, right?

I know that's a very simple over view, but that's my understanding.

11. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    If that thing has had a tow bar then it will be attached to the frame, they are bullet proof machines and tough as hell. I have seem them advertised here in uk with over 200 k miles on and running like new.
    I run a diesel RAV4 with 75k miles and does not use oil between services.

12. Jdahlstrom

Jdahlstrom Formula 3

Feb 28, 2005
    Miami, Fl
    Full Name:
    Josh Dahlstrom
    I daily an 88 with 310k. Land Cruisers are some of the most robust cars on the planet.

13. norcal2

norcal2 F1 Veteran

The LX has more luxury features including air leveling (if included in the package) which can be problematic...ask me how I know...
    Ive had all of them over the years, the TLC and 4runners, pretty bullet proof, my 07 4runner just went over 200k with nothing more then normal service, no suspension replacements, problems at all...just make sure you get service records as transmission flushes keep them going a long time, the so called "lifetime" fluid is not lifetime...
    just my 2c

14. Hoodude

Hoodude F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 5, 2007
    North Carolina
    Full Name:
    RE
    #14 Hoodude, Jul 20, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  15. Bradwilliams

Bradwilliams F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

I'm sure you could find a higher mileage one for much less. Mileage doesn't matter on those cars

16. Hoodude

Hoodude F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 5, 2007
    North Carolina
    Full Name:
    RE
    Brad,sorta fixed it,k?
    Cheers,RE

17. Nativetroy

Nativetroy F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2010
    central fl
    Full Name:
    Troy
    Just had a '97 LX in the shop. 287k, still running strong. Guys had it since new, no plans on getting rid of it.

18. Bimmerista

Bimmerista Formula 3

Feb 7, 2004
    Carrollton, TX
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Currently own a 2004 LX470, hands down one of the lowest maintenance vehicles I've ever owned. At 204,000+ miles, it doesn't skip a beat.

There are no major differences between the Land Cruiser & Lexus LX vehicles other than the finer luxury touches on the interior. For the 100-series vehicles, the biggest difference was the AHC suspension in the Lexus versus traditional coil springs suspension in the Land Cruiser.

19. Aedo

Aedo F1 Rookie

Feb 22, 2006
    Perth
    Full Name:
    Steve
    We have a 20yr old one on site with +400,000kms on the clock. Routine maintenance and beat the snot out of it! All good :)

They are seriously tough trucks. That one you quote sounds like it has been well looked after despite the minor high service interval. Just do it!

20. Husker

Husker F1 World Champ

Dec 31, 2003
    western hemisphere
    Drove 550 miles to get the car yesterday. Got there and I could tell it was a beater within 3 minutes. Numerous scratches on every panel save the hood. A dent in the right front quarter, lots of interior wear. Obviously the sales associate completely misrepresented the thing.

Even more shocking was that a franchise dealership - Toyota or otherwise - would have a $40K dog on the front lot.

I got in my car and drove back home -- 1100 miles logged yesterday.

This dealership certainly lived up to the industry's reputation.

21. norcal2

norcal2 F1 Veteran

One other thing with the V-8's exhaust manifold cracks are problematic, not all years but many did...check before buying...the fix can run a few thousand...you can google the years affected...

22. 355dreamer

355dreamer F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 3, 2006
    DC Metro
    Full Name:
    L.C.
    #22 355dreamer, Nov 7, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I bought an LX450 this weekend as a winter beater to use on days I don't want to drive my E63 AMG S Wagon.

From my research, the ones to own are the 97-98 "80 series" versions. They were available with triple lockers, solid axles and full time 4wd. They also were the last variant to use the V6.

I'm looking forward to modifying it a bit, and just purchased a new set of 33" tires. Next I'll do an OME 2.5" lift kit, maybe some sort of roof rack and possibly swap the bumpers for something a little more heavy duty so I can mount some LED light bars and a winch. :)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

23. It's Ross

It's Ross Formula 3

Jul 30, 2007
    Barrington, Ill. USA
    Full Name:
    Ross
    What? A car salesman lied and had no respect for your time. Unthinkable!
    Name the dealer, they deserve to be outed, bastards.

For future reference if concerned over a vehicle used for towing the transmission and rear ends (ring &pinion specifically) are what suffer most, the engine not so much unless driven hard as well and pulling at or beyond capacity. If a small receiver hitch I'd not worry much.
    Better luck luck next time

24. Hocakes

Hocakes Formula Junior

Apr 24, 2010
    FL
    Don't you mean straight 6? Then came the V8.

25. Hoodude

Hoodude F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 5, 2007
    North Carolina
    Full Name:
    RE
    Hocakes,I'm sure he did..it was a straight six until 97/98.
    And Dreamer that is a beauty..I'd put the light bar on the roof rack,and a bully bar on front so as not to worry about anything in front,of you..so to speak.
    Cheers,RE