Ferrari 330 GTC As-Built Configuration and Judging Guidelines | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Ferrari 330 GTC As-Built Configuration and Judging Guidelines

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by SCantera, Apr 1, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. SCantera

SCantera F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2004
    Living Falls NC
    Jim....yours being an early car might have a few more different details than is documented in the manual. The author has had to reach out to various experts and shops to pull this together. And many of the shops might not have dealt with all the variations during the production run of the model. He did note in the guide that early GTCs had the rubber trim on the door top edge as you noted. And yours is proof.

I think know which rubber seal you are referring to. It's a thin "floppy" piece about 1" wide. I will take a picture of it this weekend and post it.

2. todaxyz

todaxyz Karting

Jul 16, 2009
    Nor Cal
    Full Name:
    Tom
    This guide states that the rubber tips on the end of the sun visors are supposed to be white. A long time owner received a deduction at the National FCA concours since his were black. He believes his to be original as do I given the patina on mine (hard rubber, small cracks, etc.) which are also black. I think we all know that consistency on misc parts like this wasn't a hallmark back in the day so reaching out to other owners on this subject so the guide can be corrected. Please reply with the color of your tips, whether you know if they are original or not (patina based?), and s/n of your car.

Thanks, Tom

3. todaxyz

todaxyz Karting

Jul 16, 2009
    Nor Cal
    Full Name:
    Tom
    The recently published judging guidlines for this car states that the rubber tips on the end of the sun visors are supposed to be white. A long time owner received a deduction at the National FCA concours since his were black. He believes his to be original as do I given the patina on mine (hard rubber, small cracks, etc.) which are also black. I think we all know that consistency on misc parts like this wasn't a hallmark back in the day so reaching out to other owners on this subject so the guide can be corrected. Please reply with the color of your tips, whether you know if they are original or not (patina based?), and s/n of your car. If there is enough variation in the replies, we can get the guide updated to reflect this.
    Thx, Tom

4. PFSEX

PFSEX Formula Junior

Jun 30, 2006
    Las Vegas
    Full Name:
    John Ratto
    Mine were white or ivory.

John

5. PFSEX

PFSEX Formula Junior

Jun 30, 2006
    Las Vegas
    Full Name:
    John Ratto
    it was 8727

6. johngtc

johngtc Formula Junior
    Owner

Mar 4, 2005
    Yorkshire, UK
    Full Name:
    John Gould
    Ivory tips.

7. Jumprun

Jumprun Karting

Feb 7, 2012
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    T. Martinez
    11157 ivory

8. tyang

tyang Rookie

Feb 16, 2005
    New York
    Full Name:
    Tom Yang
    Hi Tom,

Late GTCs have what I call the "tombstone" shaped cover over the trunk latch. The early cars have the aluminum cover.

I contributed to this guide and am still finding subtle differences all the time!

Tom Yang

9. 330BRC

330BRC Karting

May 4, 2007
    Seattle, Washington
    Full Name:
    Brian Conlan
    #34 330BRC, Jul 17, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Attached is a photo of the perished remains of a 330GTC sun visor tip from S/N 10495. Originally it was creamy white or ivory. It was fairly soft. The compound these were made of was not made to last for 50 years. I believe someone out there is working on reproducing these.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

10. DBR328&330

DBR328&330 Formula Junior

May 31, 2001
    Winchester, VA
    Full Name:
    Daniel Reese
    Hi Tom,

You have stated on your website you have 2 survivor GTCs in your shop now. What color are the sun visor tips? BTW I was one of the GTC judges at this years FCA that prompted this question.

Dan Reese

11. wmuno

wmuno Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 24, 2007
    Wilmette, Illinois
    Full Name:
    Bill Muno
    I recently had this lower trunk molding remade in Italy in the original EPDM rubber. I had 7 extra 2 meter pieces which I sold to T Rutlands. They might lost in their parts inventory, but it's worth a phone call to them. Good luck.

12. wmuno

wmuno Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 24, 2007
    Wilmette, Illinois
    Full Name:
    Bill Muno
    #37 wmuno, Jul 27, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  13. mak1957

mak1957 Rookie

Mar 14, 2007
    Lakewood, CA
    Full Name:
    Maurice Khawam
    Hi,
    I would like to receive this manual,please. I am completing a book on the 330 GTC and any information can be helpful.
    Many thanks,

Maurice
    E: [email protected]

14. steve meltzer

steve meltzer Formula 3

Sep 18, 2004
    with Enzo 8995
    Tom, that quote you attributed to me should have been "quoted" to Mr. Cavalie, my .02 worth was in the next paragraph. Dunno nuttin' about no stinkin' A-pillars.

But, I do know this....the "as built" guidelines are just terrific and a very, very nice and welcome gift. Does sucha thing exist for the Daytona? thanx steve

15. jcavalie

jcavalie Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 4, 2005
    Oakland, CA
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Larry Benson had some this Spring...

16. enio45

enio45 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

May 16, 2004
    Gilbert, AZ
    Full Name:
    Ed
    i have a customer gtc that was last yr at Cavillino and we have a laundry list to work thru.....which we will do and be there next yr. The guide is a great start - and a difficult one to pull together - however, as Tom Yang stated, we are now finding differences from the early build to the later build and should be incorporated into the book. Obviously without the start of the book as it is - how do we compare??

Keep the info coming in and lets get the details by VIN updated so we have a pretty good view and we can also help the judges. Im sure the judges looking at the 330 GTC's are using the guide as a reference, and without any counter information, you will get deducted some points.

17. footUNDER

footUNDER Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    Full Name:
    Doug Hudson
    I tried to PM but you have exceeded your limit. Can you please send me a copy as well.

Thank you

Doug in Nashville

18. wmuno

wmuno Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 24, 2007
    Wilmette, Illinois
    Full Name:
    Bill Muno
    Well said. Even though the 330 GTC was a "production" model, there were many running changes during its lifetime. For example, late model GTCs used the radiator and water pump shown in the 365 GT 2+2 parts manual. Many of these changes have already been well documented. What is still unknown are the small minor changes that occurred when either Ferrari or Pininfarina substituted a similar part in order to complete a car on any given day. Although each 330 GTC was supposed to be identical, it might be more like the 1950's Ferraris where no two cars are exactly alike. The judging guidelines need to provide some flexibility to account for these minor differences.

19. jcavalie

jcavalie Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 4, 2005
    Oakland, CA
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Here appears to be a running change that I stumbled upon - one that is not addressed in the Guide. My car (s/n 8833) has a hood latch catch similar to the 275 GTS hood latch catches - just a flat block the latch catches. Sometime after my car was built, they apparently switched the hole-style catch. The cars all appear to have a similar latch on the hood, but the 275 GTS and my 330 GTC have similar catches; whereas the later GTCs have the catch drop through a hole. I don't know the s/n when the change happened, but it appears to be sometime in 1966 model year run.

Here are some picts to show this.

1966 330 GTC, s/n 8833 - my pictures

1965 Ferrari 275 GTS, s/n 7935 - pictures from Fantasy Junction website

1965 Ferrari 275 GTS, s/n 6909 - picture from Fantasy Junction website

1966 Ferrari 330 GTC, s/n 9091 - picture from Fantasy Junction website

20. SCantera

SCantera F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2004
    Living Falls NC
    Jim and other GTC caretakers.........Clete, the author of the 330 GTC As-Built manual has asked me to encourage others to share information that he might not have. Jim's note about the early car hood latch is a prime example. If you have anything you might want to comment, question, or add to the GTC manual please contact Clete to help him make the manual more comprehensive. We are lucky to have someone to commit the time and effort to put this manual together. He really welcomes the help others can give.

21. RED GTS

RED GTS Formula Junior

Jun 14, 2004
    Full Name:
    Gungnir
    Your pm is full again

22. SCantera

SCantera F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2004
    Living Falls NC
    I finally got around to opening up some room in my PM files. Please send me a PM with your email address so I can forward the 330 manual to you.

thanks for your patience

Steve

23. jcavalie

jcavalie Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 4, 2005
    Oakland, CA
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Thanks Steve. I have sent Clete a fair amount of info about my car. Just noticed this hood latch a couple days ago - I plan to let Clete know about it also. Thanks!

24. enio45

enio45 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

May 16, 2004
    Gilbert, AZ
    Full Name:
    Ed
    car 8843 GTC has NO hole for the hood latch......it is a customers car i have in the shop

25. 4redude

4redude Formula Junior

Jan 13, 2005
    Fungus Corner
    Full Name:
    Brian Keegan
    I would suggest in addition to the serial numbers of your cars, you post the body number as well. This can be found on the trunk lid border and stamped on the back side of many trim panels like door jamb and chrome trim. The hood latch changes are documented in the body parts book but only are referenced by the body number.