Removing hoses to keep exhaust baffle open on 2011- 458 | FerrariChat

Removing hoses to keep exhaust baffle open on 2011- 458

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by RobertM, May 14, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. RobertM

RobertM Formula 3

Apr 17, 2005
    Weston, Florida
    Full Name:
    Robert M
    has anyone removed the hoses to keep the baffles open on a 2011 - 458...

any sound clips ???

2. 2fastforu

2fastforu Formula Junior

Aug 5, 2006
    There's tons of threads on this topic. Do a search.

3. Rcktrod

Rcktrod F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2010
    USA
    Get a remote valve opener (competitor to the Capristo one at closer to $500) for around $300. Dealer installed it in no time. Should be mentioned in the tread as well.

4. 720

720 F1 Rookie

Jul 14, 2003
    So. Cal and No. Utah
    Full Name:
    Rick
    I'm going to install an exhaust valve bypass switch on my Speciale. I like the one made by Steve Bisel (an fchat guy). Check it out on his website. It's as good (probably better) than the Novice switch.

Forza Componenti - Home

5. 720

720 F1 Rookie

Jul 14, 2003
    So. Cal and No. Utah
    Full Name:
    Rick
    Pretty curt. Are you the fchat search nazi?

6. OSUferrari

OSUferrari Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2015
    Denver CO
    Full Name:
    John
    I recently installed the Sport Exhaust along with the Capristo bypass switch (2 weeks ago) on my 458. I did not think my excitement for driving the car could get any higher than when I bought it last year......I was wrong. It is the greatest sound I have ever heard. Best money you will ever spend.

7. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    I regret l didn't disconnect the baffles sooner. After two years it's like a new model. Try it...you'll like it. I love it. :)

8. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley

Nice! Where would you put the control box in a 458 Italia?

Also, does anyone know if the "always closed" mode is sufficient by itself with a stock exhaust to allow the car to meet noise limits at Laguna Seca?

9. eric355

eric355 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2005
    Toulouse (France)
    Full Name:
    Eric DECOUX
    #9 eric355, May 17, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    My solution for that.
    - I choose not to intercept the electrical signal to the valves, but to intercept the vacuum line with an extra valve.
    - Receiver and valve are located close to the vacuum tank
    - Home made receiver is commanded by the key of the car ... no need for an extra remote !! :)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

10. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    That is a SUPER solution Eric!

Can you produce one (or some) ? :) (->[email protected])

11. 720

720 F1 Rookie

Jul 14, 2003
    So. Cal and No. Utah
    Full Name:
    Rick
    Hi. I'm not very handy so I'll probably just ask my dealer to install it :) But I think it's relatively easy to install it yourself. Check out this support page:

Vehicles Specifics

better yet, contact Steve directly at [email protected]

I bet Steve will know the answer to your question about the "always closed" mode.

12. PhilNotHill

Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    Pulled the vacuum lines so the baffles are ope all the time. Did this a year ago. This was an experiment to so if l needed a switch. I have not found one time when l wanted the baffles closed. Glad l did this instead of installing a switch...turns out l don't need one.

I thought maybe drone would bother on the lnterstate. But driving 70-80 in 7th gear is about 3k RPMs and is quiet in the spider with the top down, even quieter with the top up.

Of course if l sell the car the lines can be plugged back in no problem.

Please note l have a sports exhaust OEM option on my Porsche. The first thing l do every time l start the car is open the baffles. Of course this car is not nearly anything close to the music of the 458.

Best

13. bisel

bisel Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 12, 2012
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Full Name:
    Steve Bisel
    Typically, the control box will be placed under the air box behind the engine

Cannot say with certainty that with valves closed you will pass the noise restrictions at Laguna Seca. Most likely you will pass. Conversely, with the valves open, you most likely will fail the noise restrictions

Steve

14. PhilNotHill

Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    My understanding is that in RACE MODE the baffles open at 3000 rpm...doubt if noise under 3000 rpm would be significant.

15. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley

I think the point is that they do not open at all in closed mode with the Forza box, not even above 3k rpm, so the noise reduction should be very significant.

Bisel, thanks for the advice. So under air box "behind" engine means somewhere near bumper end, right?

16. shawnmkrt

shawnmkrt Karting

Sep 29, 2005
    I just had my dealership do the Mod I think they charged me $100

17. bisel

bisel Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 12, 2012
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Full Name:
    Steve Bisel
    #17 bisel, May 17, 2016
    Last edited: May 17, 2016
    Yes, the most popular place is immediately under the rear of the air box ... so, it is toward the rear bumper. Here is some more info ... 458c

Steve

18. Goonthree

Goonthree Karting

Nov 28, 2010
    Orlando
    I just did the install this morning and actually found the instructions have too much work for 458. All I did was removed the 7 screws to the top of air box and (4) screws to the mass air sensors. Now the top of the airbox can be removed and you can see the and touch the solenoids. Now I just took a needle nose Plier and remove the oem two clips and take the clips off. Then it was just plug and play.
    I forgot to ground the box and Steve called me back immediately today. Things working properly but hasn't had chance to test always close option yet.

bz458 likes this.
  19. koop

koop Formula Junior

Apr 30, 2011
    I have a capristo valve remote for sale

20. Stockmarketman

Apr 23, 2011
    Calgary, Alberta
    My dealer opened the baffles and it should be done to all 458's because the on off sound from the factory was annoying. I did not find any degree of droning. However, that said my 355 is still the best sounding Ferrari.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

21. bgomez

bgomez Karting

Nov 3, 2003
    Can this modification be done to the 488. On my 430 and 458 the open close open close drove me nuts.

WagonBum likes this.