Thirsty 328 Oil Change | FerrariChat

Thirsty 328 Oil Change

Discussion in '308/328' started by Steve, Jul 23, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Steve

Steve Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Steve Jenkins
    #1 Steve, Jul 23, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Changed the oil in my '89 328 GTS yesterday. Used a NAPA crush washer, Baldwin filter (replacing a UFI), and picked up two 5 quart jugs of Castrol GTX synthetic blend 10W40 (using a $20 off coupon from O'Reilly). Figured I'd have a quart (ish) left over after the job.

Drove the car until the oil temp was in the middle of the gauge, backed the car up onto Rhino ramps, and pulled the olio motore plug with a 17mm socket. I let it drain for about an hour.

Poured a little oil into the new filter before installing it, replaced the plug with a new crush washer, and started refilling with oil. Got about 8 quarts in before hitting the MAX line (on the ramps). Started the car and drove down off the ramps and ran for 2 mins. Checked again and was just above the MIN line. She drank the remaining two quarts before hitting the MAX. My daughter helped me quick-detail it after the oil change.

I suspect the combination of the ramps, 113F garage temps (it's been hot in Utah for the past couple weeks), getting the oil good and warm before draining, and letting it drain so long are what got that much oil out.

Since I don't have any extra, I think I'll go grab a single quart bottle of the Castrol GTX Blend 10W40 to keep in the trunk.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Not sure about the 328, but for the 308, manual says wait 15 mins. after engine shut off then check the oil level.

3. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    9 quarts is the standard (more or less): I think you are right, doing the change with the oil hot will drain better the engine so you will need a bit more oil to refill.

ciao

4. ClydeM

ClydeM F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Wayne, NJ
    Full Name:
    Clyde E. McMurdy
    Maybe it's me, but that's just the wrong way to do an oil change.

mechanics gloves, a pretty darn uncluttered garage, clean floor, tools nice and tidy in their molded case, a box of clean-up rags. I don't know what that white cylinder is, but I bet it keeps things clean. And in a nice clean, neatly arranged neighborhood. The only violation I see is that broom-handle-thingy holding up the trunk.

What do you do when the 328 decides to mark it's territory?

:)

mixedgas likes this.
  5. Steve

Steve Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Steve Jenkins
    LOL - the broom handle thingy is a Christmas light hanger. Don't I get SOME ghetto cred for that? ;)

That white cylinder is an evaporative cooler. It was 111F in the garage that day, so I wanted cool air blowing on me while I was under the car.

Yes... I'm soft. LOL

6. lopena

lopena Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Fer chrissake, get yourself some new gas struts to hold the engine lid up. Go to High Quality Automotive | Marine | Industrial Lift Supports and buy two Stabilus struts. It'll take you less than 15 minutes to install them and they'll make you happy every time you open the engine compartment.

7. Steve

Steve Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Steve Jenkins
    BUT THEN I LOSE MY GHETTO CRED!!!!

8. Vonbarron

Vonbarron Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 26, 2014
    Westside Mofo
    Full Name:
    S B
    Why is no one pointing that the oil is wrong, all wrong. Thought is was decided that 20/50 was the right one...... I'll just leave that there and slink out of the room

9. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    You must have some warm winters if you are using 20/50 as that is some thick crud- my old mondial was happy on 5/40 shell ultra for years, winter starting was never an issue.

10. JohnnyTS

JohnnyTS Formula Junior

Jun 3, 2012
    Pretoria East, RSA
    Full Name:
    John
    #10 JohnnyTS, Jul 24, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I've done exactly this last month, replaced oil and changed to Baldwin from UFi oil filter, my car took 8.5 to 9 L to register Full on the dipstick, no thirst though.

regards
    J

11. Glassman

Glassman F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

This is true. The 15 minute wait makes a huge difference in oil level.

12. redqv

redqv Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 26, 2015
    Almost Oregon, California
    Full Name:
    Ron Stevens
    I am now using Swepco 20/50 in my '85 GTS. It was recommended by a very knowledgeable Ferrari broker friend and my neighbor who has a 550 Maranello and 430 Challenge car. I have spent a lot of time researching the zinc issue for my
    Hot Rod (blown 350) and Swepco has the needed zinc for vintage of 308s. For what's worth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. Steve

Steve Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Steve Jenkins
    The car is currently in Utah, but I'll driving her back to Seattle in a few weeks, where the winters are very mild.

This fall will mark the 20th anniversary of me owning this car, and she's been happy with 10W40 Castrol GTX since she joined my stable. I realize oil choice unleashes zealots like the Middle Age Crusades, but the lady likes drinking Castrol GTX 10W40, so that's what I buy her. :)

14. robo330

robo330 Formula Junior

Apr 15, 2014
    Michigan USA
    Full Name:
    Karl Robertson
    I have used Kendall which has a Zinc additive in it on my Alfa Romeo Montreal. It is a 1974 model and has flat tappets / buckets. The Kendall was recommended to minimize wear on the cams and buckets. Any ideas if that oil might be good on a 1985 308 QV?

15. Steve

Steve Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Steve Jenkins
    If it works for you, go with it! :)

16. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996

I suspect that no one who claims that ..." [X ] oil works great for me!" has any scientific evidence as to whether it does or does not simply because there is no way to tell without starting with a freshly rebuilt engine with all appropriate clearances logged, using said oil for x thousand miles, disassembling the engine, checking those same clearances and noting the difference. Repeat with a different oil. There is no other way. ;)

17. Steve

Steve Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Steve Jenkins
    I agree, Mike. So the closest I'll come is saying "She hasn't blown up on me in 20 years, and I'm happy with her performance, so I'm going to keep doing what I've been doing." :)

18. redqv

redqv Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 26, 2015
    Almost Oregon, California
    Full Name:
    Ron Stevens
    I suspect Steve and mike996 are right, if you like it go with it. After reading (and hearing) so much about zinc in flat tappet cars I'd thought I'd be on the safe side with my first oil change so I went with Swepco. The car had used Castrol GTX for most of it's life. Everyone has a different opinion but the best one that I read was by an engineer for an oil company who said they were very careful in considering the elimination of zinc (an EPA idea) when coming up with their formulas. However the whole controversy did spawn 4 or 5 manufactures (Lucas, Amsoil, Classic Car, etc) to jump on the band wagon with zinc enhanced oils.

19. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    I totally concur!

I also agree that if someone feels the need for more zinc, buy oil with more zinc as opposed to blending your own by adding a bottle of zinc additive to your 45-50 dollars worth of (in my case) Mobil 1 0W40. Does the zinc actually go into suspension or just sit on the top/bottom of the oil? How does it react with the additives already present? The world wonders... ;)

20. pappy.72

pappy.72 Formula Junior

Nov 13, 2010
    Elgin, IL
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I use the Mobil 1 0W-40 in my 89 328 since it already has a higher ZDDP level formulated for European cars. See this chart.
    https://mobiloil.com/~/media/amer/us/pvl/files/pdfs/mobil-1-oil-product-specs-guide-2016.pdf

It's my vote for the best oil.

21. Rod

Rod Formula Junior

Jan 18, 2004
    South Derbyshire
    Full Name:
    Rod
    Nice post..

Out of interest did you take a reading after 15 minutes and then again maybe overnight? My understanding is that it should be on max after 15... ?

22. Robz328

Robz328 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 16, 2009
    ATL, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Rob Hemphill
    15 min for 328 too. Let idle for 4-5 min if "spirited driving" to bring to normal hot.

FYI, quarts and liters...2 different things.
    :D

23. Saabguy

Saabguy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 28, 2012
    Shreveport, LA
    Yup.

24. JohnnyTS

JohnnyTS Formula Junior

Jun 3, 2012
    Pretoria East, RSA
    Full Name:
    John
    Lol, I already knew that ! :D

25. Robz328

Robz328 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 16, 2009
    ATL, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Rob Hemphill
    Yes, and you got to do it about 35 times for each oil type to reduce bias in the estimated performance.