MP4 prices are really plummeting on resale | Page 25 | FerrariChat

MP4 prices are really plummeting on resale

Discussion in 'British' started by finnerty, Mar 23, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 1mean3

1mean3 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 26, 2012
    I bought a service manual and while some processes are different, its all detailed and straightforward. I would think the only thing you can't do is software updates.

My 2nd year service on a 2013 12c Spider was $1800. The usual stuff, fluids, filters, the checklist. Had a few software and TSB updates included. Ill post a copy of the service ticket with detail on what was done.

2. Sandy Eggo

Sandy Eggo F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 4, 2009
    Encinitas, CA
    Full Name:
    Rick
    The SLS AMG did drop down to $120-150k range for a while (about 2+ years ago) but they're all back up, many of them at or above sticker (for asking prices). The Black Series...fuggeddahaboutit...2x MSRP.

If the 12C gets back to sticker, that would be one heck of an amazing feat. Tremendous value where they're at now, especially a spider imho.

3. Robin

Robin F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Arlington, VA
    Right on.. my car is up in Philly getting a bunch of work done but I should have it back in a few days. I know McLaren of Washington is close for us, but unless you want to send your car up north, your desire to work on it yourself might prove more necessary than voluntary............

As for the annual services, like 1mean3 said it's only a couple thousand and basically covers the usual fluids and filters. No crazy engine dropping or major surgery, and I don't think any of the scheduled services require anything like that so you should be able to handle the basics on your own.

4. kverges

kverges F1 Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Dallas
    Full Name:
    Keith Verges
    A real, McLaren-authored service manual? I did not know such animal existed and the only manual I have seen is something put together third-party although it might be decent.

5. 1mean3

1mean3 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 26, 2012
    Its a Mclaren sourced document produced (re-printed) and offered by a third party. Member of MclarenLife fourm. Nice

6. 1mean3

1mean3 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 26, 2012
    Its a Mclaren sourced document produced (re-printed) and offered by a third party. Member of MclarenLife fourm. Nice

7. 1mean3

1mean3 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 26, 2012
    #607 1mean3, Jul 14, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  8. henryr

henryr Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    is there a mclaren forum ?

9. kverges

kverges F1 Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Dallas
    Full Name:
    Keith Verges
    mclarenlife

10. henryr

Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
  11. henryr

Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    im thinking about getting a mp12

12. frefan

frefan F1 Veteran

Apr 21, 2004
    Its called a mp4-12c, or a mp4, or a 12c, but not a mp12. Just sayin..

Yeah i know its a silly name. unless you understand the background which makes just slightly less silly.

Thats why they changed it.

12C is a great car and a great bang for the buck.

13. henryr

Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    got it...

there was a gray car in texas was looking at...

not sure i'm to excited about the doors.

tks

14. kverges

kverges F1 Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Dallas
    Full Name:
    Keith Verges
    Nothing at all silly about the MP4-12C moniker. All the McLaren race cars after the McLaren and Project 4 (Ron Dennis' team) merger began with "MP4". No one called Senna's MP4/6 silly. That said, the F1 did not use the MP4 predicate, so perhaps there was too much hubris to use the MP4 prefix for a street car.

I've met many an owner who did not know who Bruce McLaren was, or his achievements (e.g. youngest winner of F1 race until much more recently; driver of the first Ford win at Le Mans in 1966). I could rant on and on about how much more I admire McLaren than Enzo, but Bruce died very young and we'll never know what kind of fame he could have achieved.

15. mixxalot@yahoo.com

[email protected] Formula Junior

Feb 9, 2006
    Carmichael, CA
    Full Name:
    JD
    I love the car and would be great if they drop to 100k then I'd definitely buy one with a warranty for a daily driver. Great interior and looks and those doors!

16. kverges

kverges F1 Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Dallas
    Full Name:
    Keith Verges
    I hope they don't drop that far and really doubt it as if anything I think they have creeped up in the last 12 mo.

17. 1mean3

1mean3 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 26, 2012
    Sure, I'm hoping the same for a TDF. Then I'll get 2 of them

1 to show and 1 to go.

18. henryr

Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    what is the warranty situation on them ?

19. Spdrcrj

Spdrcrj Formula 3
    BANNED

Apr 22, 2006
    Full Name:
    Jim
    I encourage you to join Mclarenlife. I may get flamed for this but, IMO, it's the best forum out there. Lots of enthusiast drivers who have owned many a high end vehicle, have a depth of knowledge, and no chips on their shoulders about Mclaren or their cars.

I had a 650S coupe and it was amazing. I've not ruled out a move back and into a 675LT when/if I can ever afford one.

20. Spdrcrj

Spdrcrj Formula 3
    BANNED

Apr 22, 2006
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Sorry, didn't answer your question. Warranty is 3 yr/unlimited miles. Mclaren offers 2 yrs of extended warranty but it's third party, doesn't include some key parts, needs to be certified prior to warranty purchase, ect.

I'm sure you have lots of questions, as well you should. This is why I encourage you to join and search your topics. So much good information on there and good people.

21. JOEA2

JOEA2 Formula 3

Feb 2, 2006
    Staten Island, N.Y./ Sea Girt,N.J.
    Full Name:
    Joe A
    I agree totally!

Joe

22. Robin

Robin F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Arlington, VA
    The factory warranty is 3 years unlimited miles but I'm pretty sure the extended service contract can be extended another 4 years (in 2 year increments) so 7 total.

I just put about 2500 miles on mine last week and am convinced I made the right choice to buy one.

23. henryr

Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    i joined up last week...thx.

24. 1mean3

1mean3 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 26, 2012