360 Spider clock repair? | FerrariChat

360 Spider clock repair?

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by GDVBR8N, Jul 25, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. GDVBR8N

GDVBR8N Rookie

Apr 24, 2013
    Milwaukee< WI
    Full Name:
    Robert H. Blondis
    I have a 2004 360 Spider. The digital-style clock is mounted above the rear view mirror. Mine does not keep accurate time, and switches between keeping time is 12 hour and 24 hour increments. Also, I believe that the clock is supposed to be illuminated, as it is almost impossible to see numbers in daylight and absolutely impossible at night. Mine has no light. Does anyone know what is involved in a repair? Is it a DIY-type repair? I would describe my mechanical skills as somewhat klutzy, but I am willing to try, especially when given good instructions. Thanks for any help.

2. GDVBR8N

GDVBR8N Rookie

Apr 24, 2013
    Milwaukee< WI
    Full Name:
    Robert H. Blondis
    No, I didn't know about your DIY bit. It did not show on the search I did. Maybe a different keyword would have done the trick. Anyway, I am not sure I want to try to do what you did, for fear of damaging the clock. Also changing from 24 to 12 is the last of my 3 problems with the clock. The first two are: the clock is not illuminated. Is it supposed to be lit up all the time, only when the outside lights are on, or something else; and the clock does not keep accurate time. It stops and goes. If it would be illuminated so that I could read it, and if it would keep accurate time, I might be willing to put up with the 24 hour feature. Help!

3. mello

mello F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 12, 2013
    CA Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Steve
    The clock is illuminated by an incandescent bulb and is powered by the ignition key. It's probably blown. As to not keeping accurate time, it could be a damaged clock chip or the oscillator crystal is drifting. It cost about $400 for a new unit or salvage one from the bone yard for about half that price.

4. hessank

hessank Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2005
    Canada, Florida
    Full Name:
    Fred
    Check and buy one from Fleabay. Then perform Steve's mod before you install in. I did and I can now see the time clearly in a Spider during the brightest day

5. Bdel

Bdel Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    Hollis, NH
    Full Name:
    Bruce
    Doesd anyone know what year the clock was added. I have a 2001 360 spider with no clock above the rearview mirror?

Bdel

6. fiat

fiat Karting

Aug 5, 2012
    florida
    Full Name:
    graziano
    Do what I did disconnect it, the thing is useless. It looks like a Walmart special throw back to the eighties. The added bonus is no drain on car battery, if the car is a garage queen
    Over time it will
    Drain the car battery unless the battery is on a trickle charger.