430 Scud Service Questions | FerrariChat

430 Scud Service Questions

Discussion in '360/430' started by Rareusgold, Jul 29, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Rareusgold

Rareusgold Karting

Sep 9, 2005
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Rich
    Can someone help me out. I was wondering what services are necessary for a Scud. When they are Needed and what they would realistically cost to perform them at a Ferrari Dealership? Also are there any problems that someone should make sure are corrected or services before Purchasing a Scud?

Thank all for any help and advise!

2. 2NA

2NA F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 29, 2006
    Twin Cities
    Full Name:
    Tim Keseluk
    All fluids annually (P/S fluid maybe every 2-3 years). Ask the dealer what it would cost.

3. rmarchjr

rmarchjr Formula Junior

May 21, 2012
    North east, USA
    Why go only to a dealer for routine maintenance. Scud is the same as 430, I do all fluids including F1, coolant, and power steering yearly if not on track. And a good Indy will do as well as Fcar dealer as long as they have a tool for the F1 box.

4. Rareusgold

Rareusgold Karting

Sep 9, 2005
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Rich
    What I am trying to figure out is what a 5 year Major Service would cost? When would it be recommend that it be done. I know that on the older F-Cars. It is 3 years and or 15,000 miles. I am thinking about a Scud and have been for awhile. And wanted to know if the services were much more pricy than a regular 430. And what they would usually cost if the major service or Clutch has to be done?

For normal fluid changes I have no problems going to a Indy guy. But for a clutch or a major service I would only consider a dealer.

Thanks!

5. Spdrcrj

Spdrcrj Formula 3
    BANNED

Apr 22, 2006
    Full Name:
    Jim
    I believe a clutch job is in the $7k range. For annual service, I allot $1,700. That is sufficient unless something is broken. Usually, it's less. If your handy with a spanner, I believe Daniel at Ricambi NA sells annual servicing kits and you can diy it. I don't believer there is a "major service" as with the 360 but I could be wrong.

6. Rareusgold

Rareusgold Karting

Sep 9, 2005
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Rich
    So there is no. 15,000 mile engine out services? Or $15,000 major service bills like a Testarossa?

I saw someone said they spent $60,000 on a service. And it sounded rediculas! So I can deal with a $7000 clutch and $1700 annual services. But $20,000+ I am thinking twice!

Thank you for the heads up!

7. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna
    Why on earth would the engine come out? The car has chains and not belts and even on the 360 that does have belts, the motor doesn't come out.

They're basically f430s with very similar services.

8. raider1968

raider1968 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 13, 2008
    NC Mnts & Asheville
    Full Name:
    John E
    #8 raider1968, Jul 29, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Never heard of any such thing - I do an annual at the Ferrari dealer - costs $1300 - $1500 or so plus tires - if needed - depends how hard you drive it and I have had my Scud for 8 years. Now if you r tracking service costs do go up
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

9. Spdrcrj

Spdrcrj Formula 3
    BANNED

Apr 22, 2006
    Full Name:
    Jim
    It sounds like Rare may be "new" to the 430 range of Ferraris and he's trying to educate himself on their care and feeding. Valid questions IMO.

Off topic but, Sherpa, I like your signature line. :)

10. raider1968

raider1968 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 13, 2008
    NC Mnts & Asheville
    Full Name:
    John E
    My Scud has basically been bullet proof - only thing I had to do was get the carbon fiber in the engine bay redone because of discolor on the two side panels down low but that only costs $5,000 at McCarbon in California
    I had a thermal barrier put on the back - they did a great job and it looks brand new
    I'm not talented enough maintenance wise to do the service myself

11. Rareusgold

Rareusgold Karting

Sep 9, 2005
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Rich
    Thank you Spdrcrj, yes that is true. I am a gate shifter guy. And I have an 89 328 GTB (only 100 point car at Cavallino I ever heard of!) winner of preservation award, Bella Machina, and Platinum. I also have a 99 550 and I had a Testarossa. I got rid of the Testarossa after the air condition was going to cost $5000 and the engine out service was $12,000. I have been apprehensive about a "Modern" Ferrari after those numbers. I was under the impression that after the 355's all Ferraris required an engine out service periodically. When my major service on my 328 cost at most $2500! I didn't want to get a crazy bill right after purchase to get the car up to date on services.

Thanks again for all the helpful insight! I will let you know how it turns out. Is there a hierarchy on color as it come to resale values?

12. Rareusgold

Rareusgold Karting

Sep 9, 2005
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Rich
    That garage is class man! That is one of the nicest I have ever seen! Love the wood! Well done! Ps thanks for the info!

13. Spdrcrj

Spdrcrj Formula 3
    BANNED

Apr 22, 2006
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Your welcome.

Resale red is the top money getter with Nero being at the bottom end. All have appreciated about 10% over the last year.

14. raider1968

raider1968 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 13, 2008
    NC Mnts & Asheville
    Full Name:
    John E
    Thanks, PM me anytime with questions about the Scud - let me know if you just want to talk - sometimes easier on the phone

15. rumen1

rumen1 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 23, 2012
    Bulgaria
    It's very important to go to a dealer os someone with a SD3 tester if you change the F1 fluid, so they can bleed the system correctly.

16. SoIllFerrari

SoIllFerrari Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 16, 2005
    IL
    Full Name:
    CD
    I just did one on my Scud- a "major" so to speak, included all the fluids, spark plugs, pads, and it totaled out to 29xx at a dealer.

17. scuderia09

scuderia09 Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 6, 2007
    Depent how many miles on the Scud. all fluids service and filters , front end check and wheel aligment, clean and services brakes and check and reset any codes with Leonardo or SD3 pretty straight forward