Maserati Khamsin | Page 257 | FerrariChat

Maserati Khamsin

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by Maeter, Feb 24, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Roger and Boralogist,

Many thanks for that, unfortunately I am not on Facebook and will stay off it, not my thing at all, too busy.

I could not access the photos, if anyone can copy and paste the most relevant ones here that would be great or if someone could contact them and invite them to post here?
    We still don't know the chassis number of "5000GT"'s yellow car and whether it is this one in Oklahoma or another, "5000GT" we are all curious now is that your car?:) Please let us know or let me know by email, thanks in advance:

[email protected]

If you request that I keep it to myself I will, no problem, I deal with many major collectors some of whom like to keep a low profile. Your help is appreciated, I am at 321 individual car files out of 430 built so it would be nice to move your car from the To be identified folder and get some photos:)

-Roger regarding another yellow car, 1230 now in Berlin which you ask about the owner has not taken any decision at all and has had the car just sit there 5 years which saddens me as my publisher and I went through a great deal of trouble in 2011 (and years of waiting before that) to rescue this car from a very nice chap in Sweden Daniel (who had a page online about his initial work on it years ago) who became ill, ran out of money and therefore had made no progress. 1230 seems doomed because before Daniel it was bought by a very unpleasant chap in Sweden who also did nothing and now it has been sitting for 5 years AGAIN....!

What about its early life? After its early glory and Car & Driver cover car 1230 was owned by an Iranian in Boston and was very slightly damaged in a carb or garage fire which is when a Swedish friend of mine bought it there decades ago with a Ghibli and took them home...

Best regards,

Marc

2. 5000gt

5000gt Karting

Oct 8, 2015
    Hi Marc,

The yellow Oklahoma Khamsin you currently posted photos of is chassis #1290.
    Dealer owned until 1986 and first registered to a private owner in 1986.
    I purchased this car from the original owner.

3. 5000gt

5000gt Karting

Oct 8, 2015
    Thanks you for the info!

4. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    #6404 Nembo1777, Jul 24, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2016
    Hi 5000GT,

Thanks for that: fantastic, a fly yellow car -one of just seven, all US models- tucked away for decades:) Could you please post some photos of its early and later life, before and after bumper conversion? That would be great. If you cannot post as you are not a paid member I can do so for you if you email them to me.

While some will view fly yellow as a little loud it is my favorite color for a Khamsin for a reason, namely that apart of being very glamorous fly yellow cars get a lot of attention and a yellow K helps therefore to get K's more known, appreciated and eventually creates more interest and entices more to own one (even if they may choose a more discreet color).

I had actually found a fly yellow K in the midwest before but that car, in a small town in Illinois, was actually born white, whereas this one, your 1290, is the real thing:)

So we have 1046 ex Doug up for auction next month, 1272 (of which I posted photos a few posts above when it was in Udine Italy) now believed stored in the UK with a VERY private American owner, your 1290 and finally 1230 uncertain in Berlin languishing in the dark awaiting its fate. The others have been repainted in other colors such as 1142 which got repainted black and turned into the T top Khamsin when almost new.

Best regards,

Marc

5. italiancars

italiancars F1 Rookie

Apr 18, 2004
    Hershey, PA
    Marc,
    An FYI, more than likely #1230 is the cover car for the Car and Driver review of the Khamsin September 1978. My car Khamsin #1226 is the actual test car.

6. 5000gt

5000gt Karting

Oct 8, 2015
    #6406 5000gt, Jul 24, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017

I agree, yellow is a fantastic color on a Khamsin. My car still has the original U.S bumpers. I am not sure I'd want to convert it to Euro specs unless I could find the original factory parts. I have heard of the fiberglass bumper conversion kit.
    Here are two photos when I took delivery of the car.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Hi Joe!

yes I remember the article about the Khamsin from hell in the VCM Khamsin issue a few years ago and you mentioning that.

Best regards,

Marc

8. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    #6408 Nembo1777, Jul 24, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2016
    Thanks for posting the photos, looks great!

You really should convert it and Campana can supply the whole kit with original parts, there is a very dynamic girl there who speaks good English so no communication problems. I am not at all involved commercially in this but can tell you that the greatest emotional moment was not when I bought my car (1242) but 6 months later when I finished the bumper conversion after a 12 hour day:))) On a more down to earth level you will also sell your car better, since 9,5 out of 10 buyers are on the east side of the Atlantic and abhor the Ralph Nader Walrus tusk bumpers and rear end disfiguration.

http://www.campanacarrozzeria.it/

Let me know if I can help with anything, here is my bumper conversion Aa to Zz guide with notes for the mechanic, the engineer and the historian.

http://www.maseratikhamsinregistry.com/euro-bumper-kit-conversion.php

Best regards,

Marc

9. Mexico074

Mexico074 Formula 3

Aug 14, 2008
    Harriman, TN USA
    Full Name:
    Michael Demyanovich
    Walrus Tusk bumpers?

What are you really trying to say, Marc?

Mike :)

10. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Ahah greetings to the high priest of the US bumpers sect;-)

Do you prefer me calling them boat anchors?

Elephant tooth braces?

Buffalo guards?

Your pick:)

Hope all is well Michael!

Marc

11. 5000gt

5000gt Karting

Oct 8, 2015
    Thanks for the info Marc! The kit looks amazing.

12. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    You are most welcome, let me know whatever I can do to help if you decide to do it:)

All the best,

M

13. AMLC

AMLC Formula Junior

Apr 4, 2009
  14. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Hello AMLC, yes you are right on the colors. Someone had mentioned this to me a couple of days ago, it was no doubt too hard to sell it with that interior.

Meanwhile about 3 year ago the man who had that interior made (in Massachusetts) before the 2008 crisis which forced him to sell it -it went to Europe right away- had recontacted me to ask if I could help him buy it back which could not be done at the time so I will now mention it to him but he will probably be disheartened to hear the Ostrich has been removed.

The only other time I saw Ostrich in a post war car was a special order 911 at Porsche's Zuffenhausen factory in 1992, reversed skins to make the bumps bigger on an apple green car, can't recall the interior color.

Best regards,

Marc

15. abarth69

abarth69 Karting

Aug 16, 2011
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Mark
    1290 now on ebay.
    That did not take long.

Cheers

Mark

16. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Thanks Marc "Abarth69" for pointing out the auction hope you are well.

Hello "5000GT" I wish you the best of luck with the Ebay auction but am surprised you would do this a mere two weeks before the global classic car world's attention focuses on the auctions in Monterey Pebble beach during which Doug Magnon's prestigious yellow K with the same low mileage as yours -and Euro bumpers- will be sold, it would seem to me that waiting for it to set a robust value precedent would have been the wiser choice then market yours thereafter.

I personally would have done the bumper conversion before selling it. One last detail, the car is still in Oklahoma I assume whereas Jacques Pozzo di Borgo whom you have obviously contracted to market it is in Virginia as the Ebay auction states. You might want to state where the car actually is, which the nearest airport is for the sake of inspections. Right now the bidders are bottom feeders who think they can steal it but actual qualified buyers may or may not emerge that way they may wait for the end and contact you thereafter. Many serious buyers are reluctant to get anywhere near Ebay auctions.

In any case all the best, I hope she stays in the US, gets de-Ralph Nader bumpered, driven a lot and shown a lot:)

Marc

17. boralogist

boralogist Formula Junior

Jun 21, 2005
    +1
    So sad to see a beautiful Khamsin with that ghastly 'bumper' infection.

Regards.

18. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Hahahah a new one thanks yes let's call it a viral protrusion:) but I am sure 5000GT or the future owner will "disinfect and cure it":)

MS

19. boralogist

Jun 21, 2005
    aka 'Terminal Bumperitis'!

Regards.

20. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Yes now we just have to cure Michael in Tennessee the last of the pro big bumper Mohicans, perhaps when Zika virus vaccination becomes mandatory we mix the two serums for him:)

MS

21. Mexico074

Mexico074 Formula 3

Aug 14, 2008
    Harriman, TN USA
    Full Name:
    Michael Demyanovich
    #6421 Mexico074, Aug 4, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  22. boralogist

Jun 21, 2005
    I have been on this vendetta in the Bora world since September, 1987 when I found my Factory Euro 1972 Bora!
    Just making a brief cameo appearance in the Khamsin universe because I think your cars are the most stunning GT Maseratis ever built (except the Euro Boras, of course!)

Enjoy.

Regards.

23. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Mike huhuh youuuuu bet...
    ... fair warning: I am firing up my anti US bumpers drone here; estimated flying time from Burgundy to Tennessee errr welll depends on winds, french strikes, congress shutdowns -check your khamsin service manual it's really accurate, I swear- so watch for flying devices in a week or three yep:)

US bumper terminator has spoken

24. staatsof

staatsof Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
  25. staatsof

staatsof Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Marc, your initiative here reminds me a bit of our Federal government's approach to imposing solutions as in unfunded mandates. So if you were willing to initiate a self funding request to convert Mike's car perhaps then he'd bite? :D LOL