MP4 prices are really plummeting on resale | Page 26 | FerrariChat

MP4 prices are really plummeting on resale

Discussion in 'British' started by finnerty, Mar 23, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I believe that's incorrect.

The factory warranty is 3 years and but I believe the the car is eligible for up to 5 years of warranty total. The two additional years come either through a McLaren Certified warranty if bought from a dealer, or via the 3rd-party-ish warranty which is slightly different.

The McLaren Certified warranty is $3500/year up to 2 years but not beyond 3 years of warranty at any given time. This means that if the car was one year old and you wanted it Certified, you could buy a one-year warranty for $3500 to bring it back up to 3, but not to 4.

The other one is $4500/year, up to the 5th year of warranty and requires an inspection. Again, it doesn't go beyond the 5th year of warranty coverage.

Double check all these things, but I'm almost certain it's true.

2. Robin

Robin F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Arlington, VA
    Thanks for the heads up, and yea I definitely need to check up on that. I could have sworn there was a comment on McLife from someone who worked at a dealership who said the warranty + extensions could cover 7 years. I still have about 7 months left on the original warranty so I'll be sure to verify what's what when I add to it.

3. F456 V12

F456 V12 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2004
    Coto de Caza
    Full Name:
    Christian
    I received a mailer from Mclaren of Beverly Hills announcing a 7 year extended warranty. No info on price or conditions, but for those concerned or interested, worth a call.

MB

4. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Weird, haven't seen anything like that from anyone else. That said, McLaren BH has weird stuff on their website.

McLaren Service & Repair Specials - McLaren Beverly Hills

I have no idea where they get these prices. I just got a 1-year extended warranty for $4500, yet they claim it's like $6000-7500.

5. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    apparently they bought a container full of skid plates ;)

6. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
  7. JCR

JCR F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 14, 2005
    H-Town, Tejas
  8. WJGESQ

WJGESQ Formula 3

Dec 30, 2004

Interesting summation.

9. MarkNC

MarkNC Formula Junior
    Owner

May 22, 2012
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Not really.

In the time since he posted it, which was OVER THREE YEARS AGO, McLaren has come out with a car in the Turbo S price range that has been winning reviews against it and they've opened more dealers. I have no idea what the 4th largest market is but I'm guessing that between March 2013 and today there's probably a McLaren dealer there now.

They still have a ways to go on dealership expansion but cars like 570S and 675LT are definitely helping them. It doesn't hurt that 675LT now sits on top of the Top Gear leaderboard. Millions of car enthusiasts saw that show and that has to help build respect for the brand which I've already noticed from being out driving around in one.

10. benmou

benmou Formula Junior
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2015
    What really help mc laren is the stupid, arrogant attitude of ferrari, I own a mc12, great car and better, great better attitude from mc laren factory

11. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    I'm the guy that WJGESQ pulled the old quote from. And ironically, I visited the new Houston dealer just last week for the first time and wrote my thoughts in a new thread a few threads down.

I LOVE the new range of cars, and had the 650S Spider at the top of my list.....until I had trouble getting my size 12 fat feet out of the monococque. Now everything is in chaos....ugh.

Its true I didn't think much of the 12C and at the time I wrote that, me AND the market at large were struggling with what the car was. Poor initial reviews (particularly 5th Gears), massive depreciation, and (for me) a very un-inspiring design.

But the depreciation did stop, and the 12C now has alot of fans as it represents a re-birth of the company....and the company is moving forward at a rapid pace that Ferrari and Lamborghini can't match.

And happily for me, the local dealership so far has been the anti-Ferrari of Houston so I look forward to my first drives this Fall.

I was not able at the time to grasp what the company was bringing to the market, I think alot of us were thinking along those lines.

Now I read the words I wrote back then and I would now want to substitute 12C with 488....as I have NO idea why Ferrari chose to abandon the concept for their sport line they have been persuing for decades.

12. Spdrcrj

Spdrcrj Formula 3
    BANNED

Apr 22, 2006
    Full Name:
    Jim
    I had a 650S and loved it, but, costs to repair are astronomical. Even by exotic standards. Lack of independent shops, proprietary software that has to be fetteled with after repairs, ect. It makes my Scud look "cheap" to maintain in comparison.

With that being said, if I get to a point where I can pick up a 675LT a few years from now, pay cash, and set the money aside each month for maint, then I'll be back in the Mclaren fold. Outside of the hyper cars, the LT is a goal.

13. 1mean3

1mean3 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 26, 2012
    Thats suprising. I'm pretty sure every 650s is still under factory warranty. What costs did you encounter?

14. JCR

JCR F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 14, 2005
    H-Town, Tejas
    What were the problems you had? And were the repair prices not comparable to Ferrari?

15. Spdrcrj

Spdrcrj Formula 3
    BANNED

Apr 22, 2006
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Apologies, I was unclear in my post. I ment repairs once the warranty is expired. Sketchy info on what is covered by the extended warranty didn't help. Plus, I wanted an appreciating asset as opposed to a depreciating one.

16. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    You bought a new production car (as opposed to a special limited edition hypercar) and expected it to appreciate? Hmmmm....

I spoke to the indy that works on my Lamborghini, and he said long-term reliability is a crap shoot at this point since the oldest new-production McLaren is still less than 5 years old. He says he has/can acquire the tools and has done some servicing (mostly before the dealership here opened) on 12C's and had no particular problems.

He also thinks repairs/maintenance costs will be higher than a Ferrari 458, which he says has been pretty damn good compared to the 360 generation (and miles ahead of the 355).

His opinion is that if operating costs are your #1 thing, than a Huracan/R8 is his choice. He said the brand that has fallen on their face over the past decade or so is Porsche, previously the safest choice.

17. nathandarby67

nathandarby67 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 1, 2005
    Mississippi
    Full Name:
    Nathan

Interesting info. Does he feel the Porsche problems or secondary to parts and equipment cost, or more so just plain reliability problems? any idea what are the big issues is he seeing on them?

18. kverges

kverges F1 Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Dallas
    Full Name:
    Keith Verges
    #643 kverges, Aug 4, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2016
    I've had my 2012 12C since new and can't say prices for non warranty items are crazy. And nothing significant has needed repair.

Appreciating asset?!!!

For new cars you actually drive? Pretty limited, I'd say you better get a P1, 918 or LaFa unless you won the GT lottery.

Oh and have a connection to buy at MSRP.

Oh and don't drive it and NEVER on track.

Example. I have a 2015 GT3 and with 5K miles and a few track sessions it has depreciated.

19. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    Would say somewhere between bad design & poor reliability. Some of the common issues (from previous discussions since he also used to service my 996 Turbo):

996 - RMS & IMS issues
    997 - IMS
    996 & 997 Turbo (Metzger)- Glued coolant fittings
    997.2 GT3 - Centerlock wheel issues
    991 GT3 2014 - "E" engines (reason for recall)
    991 GT3 2015 - "F" engines - seeing increased rates of failure

20. tervuren

tervuren Formula 3

Apr 30, 2006
    I got to take a 2015 Porsche 911 away from the dealership for an overnight run. Really really really loved the car, it would make a great daily driver.

Just given Porsche's history lately, couldn't trust it since down the road costs are important to me. I'm also on the wrong side of town from the Porsche dealer.

Money no object, I'd have a manual DB9 for low traffic days, and a PDK 911 for the days I know I'll be facing traffic.

The problem with using a supercar as a daily, is that very few are designed with a good view of what's going on outside around you from the driver's seat. Fortunately, this is offset by the fact that other people notice your car, and will likely evade any minor blunders or lane change indiscretions you make.

21. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    My experience is the opposite.....people LOVE hiding in your blindspot (they don't know it) so changing lanes in a true supercar is quite challenging.