Bonhams Quail Mexico | FerrariChat

Bonhams Quail Mexico

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by redfred84, Aug 11, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. redfred84

redfred84 Formula Junior

Dec 24, 2010
    SF Bay Area, USA
    Does anyone know anything about this '67 Mexico offered? It's a 4.7; would one really prefer a 4.9 over a 4.7? It is AM 112/1 162.
    Many Thanks, RF.

2. OFFtrack

OFFtrack Karting

Jan 4, 2013
    Berlin
    Full Name:
    Dirk R.
    Mexico was only produced with a 4,7 and a 4,2
    The Indy is the only GT which was offered with all 3 engine sizes

3. lussoman

lussoman Karting

Sep 7, 2008
    Hi Fred,

Nice Mexico at Bonhams, it would look great in your garage!

The 4.2 motor is a bit more peaky in the power curve, you need to wring it out in a higher rev a little bit to get the power. It is a lively and responsive motor, but lacks that massive low end grunt that the 4.7 has. I have one of each and they are both great, but at the end day I would take the 4.7 just for the drama of the acceleration. It is close to 4.9 Ghibli performance, but not quite there.

Cheers,

Chris Rose

4. redfred84

redfred84 Formula Junior

Dec 24, 2010
    SF Bay Area, USA
    Hey Chris,
    Thanks for the insight. Funny thing; I ran into Tim Parker today, who writes the catalouge for Bonhams. He has also written 3 books on Maseratis! He was at a vintage motorcycle meet this morning that we were on.
    If this car pans out, I may need a loan! ; )
    RF.

5. mamamia

mamamia Karting

Dec 14, 2010
    England
    Full Name:
    Henry Jameson
    Hi,

What books are they ?

Thank you.

6. redfred84

redfred84 Formula Junior

Dec 24, 2010
    SF Bay Area, USA
    I'll have to find out which books he's involved with this week.

Anyone else heading to the Peninsula, or the Concorso?

7. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Tim Parker was my publisher for the Ferrari Breadvan book back in 2010.

He was also going to be the publisher for another book (which due to a financial settlement I am not to discuss, don't ask) which I finished in 2008, a huge job, but my co author never ever finished his part so I got a lawyer and we settled in 2012. All his now.

Tim has not published Maserati books since the 1970's, by Richard Crump and Rob de la Rive Box.
    We discussed him publishing Maserati the Citroen years 1968-1975 but he did not have the means to do it properly and it would have been but a shadow of the actual book published 2013 by Eau Rouge Publishing.

Best regards,

Marc

8. Portenos

Portenos Formula 3

Aug 20, 2004
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Carguytour
    Sorry to pop your bubble OFFtrack but...
    The word "only" jumped out at me as a word that should be used very carefully when describing something to do with Maserati.
    In this Case I have first hand knowledge of a 4.9 fitted to a Mexico.
    It began back in the mid 1980's while I had my MIE restoration shop going in full on mode.
    We had 4 mechanical techs, 3 trimmers, a sheet metal man from New Zealand, a body guy who doubled as an assembler/disassembler and a part time painter.
    As well as 4 parts guys.
    This was a very serious Maserati service and Restoration shop.

We received a Mexico motor, from Mexico - the county - that the owner told me had been delivered to the President of Mexico, who was a Maserati enthusiast.
    He instructed us to rebuild the engine.
    It arrived in a crate and we began tearing it down only to find that it was a 4.9 liter engine.
    Yes, it was stamped with the AM112 chassis number. At the time we were very surprised.
    So the lesson here is just when you think everything was done thus and so it turns out to be wrong and that the factory actually produced and sold something very unique.
    Ciao,
    FGM

9. wilde

wilde Formula Junior

Jan 12, 2009
    France
    Frank is right,
    Ermanno Cozza lists one car with a 4.9L engine. I also remember a car with a strange S/N. It was fitted with a 3.7L engine. For sale via Joop Stolze many years ago.

10. OFFtrack

OFFtrack Karting

Jan 4, 2013
    Berlin
    Full Name:
    Dirk R.
    Hey Frank,

Yes, very true. Sincere apologies.
    Studying for multiple choice exams you learn that the words "only" usually reveal a wrong answer so I should have known.

Interesting to hear about a 4.9. Mexico. Here in Berlin there is also one with a 4.9 engine but that was installed later.

In the future I shall replace "only" with "usually"

regards
    Dirk

11. Portenos

Portenos Formula 3

Aug 20, 2004
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Carguytour
    Dirk, no apologies necessary and none was expected. As we now find out you were 99.9% correct. :)
    For the record, I have made that same error many many times.
    FGM

12. ljdamore

ljdamore Rookie

Sep 12, 2008
    Wilton, NH
    Is that the same Tim Parker that wrote the Laverda repair and tune-up guide?

Lou

13. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Yes it is.

MS