328 emergency flashers won't turn off | FerrariChat

328 emergency flashers won't turn off

Discussion in '308/328' started by mike996, Jun 7, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    I think my 328 is PO'd at me re my recent talk about E Types. This AM I went out for a short drive. About a mile from getting back, the emergency flashers went on and I can't turn them off. Background follows:

Yesterday eve, as we were driving back home (wife driving the car), I was fooling with some of the switches and I engaged the Emergency flasher just to see if it worked. The lights did NOT flash so I pushed the button again, figuring, "I should check that out at some point," and that was that. But today, as I said, the flashers came on by themselves.

I ASSUME that the switch itself is either bad or stuck/gummed and that perhaps it engaged mechanically yesterday but did not make contact/maybe some vibration this morning caused it to "connect." But before actually doing anything I thought it would be prudent to ask if others have experienced this. Also, I haven't really looked at how easy it is to pull that switch. I'm not at the car right now, having some other things I need to do this AM but I'll get back to it later today.

Thanks for any thoughts!

2. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
  3. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    I have had no luck at all in removing the console switch panel on my 89 328 GTS.

Removing the ash tray allows the forward part of the switch panel to lift slightly but pulling forward will not release any sort of tab or anything from the rear of the panel. Unlike the instructions in the thread referenced above, the "glove box" on the car does not have trim screws so it cannot be removed to gain access to the rear of the switch panel. The glove box is riveted in place onto the console itself.

It SEEMS as if the switch panel should release at the rear by pulling it forward as if there was a tab that holds it in place at the rear when it is pushed rearward into position but. as I said, pulling it forward does not release at all and there is no sign at all that it will do so.

What am I missing here?

4. furmano

furmano Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 22, 2004
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Furman
    Well, on the GTB, there are screws in the glove box/cassette holder that hold the switch panel in place. I don't know how that is handled in the GTS but I would continue to search for screws near the rear of the panel that hold it in place.

And I've also gone through the hazard switch repair. Not too hard, getting to it is the hardest part.

-F

5. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    Ok, I'll check it out this afternoon - if there are screws in the glove box holding the panel, they are underneath the black felt that lines the glove box.

6. Crowndog

Crowndog F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 16, 2011
    Fairfield,Pa
    Full Name:
    Robert
  7. andyww

andyww F1 Rookie

Feb 7, 2011
    London
    You have to remove the rocker switches at the rear of the console by pulling them out and then there are 2 screws revealed underneath.

8. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    Hmmm...you mean you just pry those switches out? Seems a bit "scary" to me what with old, brittle plastic...but what the heck, I could always hot-glue them back in place! :)

9. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    OK...I was back at the car. Here's the deal with a US 1989 328 GTS. You have to pull the console, both the front "tunnel" portion and the main console. You can do that without pulling the seats.

Removing the forward (tunnel) portion of the console will allow the wiring loom to easily move upward so that the entire main console can be lifted up and turned over, thus making the switches easily accessible. I was able to unscrew the fitting on the hazard switch without removing any other switches. It was actually quite easy.

The switch panel had no screws at the glove box end. The end of the switch panel is spot welded/riveted to the glove box which, in turn, is riveted to the console. So the switch panel cannot be removed from console unless you drill out the rivets holding the glove box to the console.

Maybe this method of attachment was a "running change" for the '89 models. Frankly, it seems to me that the original attachment for the switch panel was likely via the ashtray screws/a tab at the rear. And then, for whatever reason, it was decided to rivet/spot weld the assembly at the rear, leaving the original setup at the front of the panel. I could be wrong but IF there is a tab/screw setup on earlier models, it seems obvious to me that there was a change for some reason. In any case, my 328 requires removal of the console - the switch panel cannot be removed without drilling out rivets.

10. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    I had the same problem a couple years ago on my 89 328. I do not remember having to remove the whole console just to get to the emergency flasher.

11. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    #11 mike996, Jun 7, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2016
    OK...CORRECTION:

I found that there ARE two screws, as others have mentioned, that hold the rear section of the switch panel. IF you are comfortable prying out the rear switches, you can access the screws and just pull the panel. I didn't do that but frankly, there is darn little room to work with that way because the wiring harness is locked in place by the "tunnel" console as well as the main console so you can't really lift out the switch panel and have much access. IMO, it's easier to remove the 8 screws holding the two console sections and just lift the whole rear console and turn it over. There is plenty of wiring clearance to do so with the tunnel console unscrewed.

However, IF the rear bank of switches will pop out of the console with no drama, then, assuming there is enough wire clearance to actually lift the panel sufficiently, then yes, it should be easier than pulling the console. But I figured that if I broke one of those switches, that would be a SERIOUS problem as opposed to the extra time it may take to pull the console.

In any case, I repaired the switch per the postings and it's back in the console; the consoles are back in place and the switch is working fine.

12. andyww

andyww F1 Rookie

Feb 7, 2011
    London
    One thing to be careful about is the capillary tube which runs from the aircon control through the bulkhead into the front compartment.

Turning over the console is going to twist this and if it breaks the AC will no longer work and replacing this would be a nightmare.

Removing the top of the console will also flex this tube but maybe to a lesser extent. But yes, prising the switches out is a tense moment!

13. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    Good point about the capillary tube. I didn't even think about it and I should have at least remembered that it's there and considered it. Although I haven't tried the ac after re-assembly, I'll do that shortly. I pulled the console loose on a previous occasion and treated it the same way with no ill effects but that might have been luck. OTOH, the tube would be basically twisting about 1/2-3/4 of a turn through a length of around two feet which I wouldn't think would exceed the ability of the tube...I hope! :)

14. st@ven

st@ven F1 Rookie

Aug 4, 2008
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Steven
    #14 st@ven, Jun 8, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    This, and your thoughts of getting rid of her all together.
    You know that Italian ladies are hyper sensitive didn't you?

Blame it on yourselve!

(talking English trash, how could you!)

Attached a reminder of just how pretty she is..
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

15. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    Yeah - it is pretty... I apologized to the car today!

The AC is OK so no issue with the cap tube.

16. Steve

Steve Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Steve Jenkins
  17. Milkshaker0007

Milkshaker0007 Formula Junior

Sep 22, 2012
    Midlands,uk
    Full Name:
    Paul