No Love for The Maser Spyder? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

No Love for The Maser Spyder?

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by Texas Forever, Aug 4, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Tony H

Tony H Karting

Sep 3, 2013
    Your comments about repair costs are true. If you can't afford to maintain an exotic then don't buy one even if it's cheap. But I've got +$100,000 in my pocket relative to an F430 so I'm way ahead at the start.

2. Ryan S.

Ryan S. Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 20, 2004
    Im still partial to your 550! Loved seeing that car around town....

3. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    You saw the Maser also. You may not remember, but I got you into a FCA meet at the Marriott.

4. intrepidcva11

intrepidcva11 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 12, 2009
    Saratoga Springs NY
    Full Name:
    Seth
    #29 intrepidcva11, Aug 7, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Could not agree more, Jim, except for color, I'm partial to blue: TdF blu 575M, nettuno blu Spyder, blu chiaro 412GT, blu scuro micalizzato F355 berlinetta, (412 & 355 since sold) and blu medium Cadillac CTS.

A 4-cam dry-sump V-8 engine designed by Ferrari and built by hand, one at a time, by Ferrari engine technicians in Ferrari's engine factory. What's not to like? Two or three years ago my wife and I were invited to take our Spyder to Watkins Glen for display with Ferraris brought by FCA members during the Rolex race weekend. The Spyder got most of the attention. And we had the car on track for several 'parade' laps, excellent handling especially through the esses on the back straight. Just wonderful fun! And most comfortable 240 mile rides to and from the Glen.

I bought my 2003 Spyder 5 1/2 years ago. The only issue I've had with it was occasional misbehavior by the alarm; I simply disconnected it.

By a wide margin the best buy in the entire sports and exotic car market.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. intrepidcva11

intrepidcva11 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 12, 2009
    Saratoga Springs NY
    Full Name:
    Seth
    not exactly.

On 19 May 1993, 17 years after having rescued it from liquidation, Alejandro De Tomaso sold its 51% stake in Maserati to Fiat, which became the sole owner

The Spyder was introduced in late 2001.

6. Ryan S.

Ryan S. Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 20, 2004
    I def remember and still appreciate that immensely! Its where I met what I like to call the founding fathers of this site and the Houston/Texas Ferrari scene.....Was also a tough period in my life for a lot of reasons and being around such interesting people and cars was an excellent stress reliever....

The Maser MC12 GT1 was also a super cool thing to see there as well. I believe FOH still owns that car...

7. WJGESQ

WJGESQ Formula 3

Dec 30, 2004
    These cars are awesome. Our office has the Coupe!

8. WJGESQ

WJGESQ Formula 3

Dec 30, 2004
    The 2 plus 2 is perfect. No where as big as the new ones.

9. staatsof

staatsof Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    No the car began as project in the early 90s but yes DeTomaso did not see it into production. That did happen after Fiat took control.
    It's a very old design now and already was by the time Ferrari relaunched it in 2002.

10. dsd

dsd F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2006
    Northern Virginia
    I miss my CC.

11. bergxu

bergxu Formula 3

Aug 16, 2005
    OnTheSerpentMound
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    I had an '04 Spyder amongst three fifth gen QPs. Loved the Spyder and sold it with 128K miles to a friend who still has it and is enjoying it immensely. Mine was Verde Mistral which was a very rare color to find.

Note that they stiffened the chassis up from 2004 onward so the scuttle shake isn't nearly as bad as on the earlier cars but the trade off is that the cambiocorsa software was IMHO better on the earlier cars, giving better clutch hook up and far firmer shifting but owners didn't like the aggresiveness of the programming so only the 2002 models are like that.

The manual shift cars are fun and probably a better investment since they're fairly rare but you need to go drive one first to make sure you like how they drive. The shift feel is pretty notchy and, if not set up properly, is downright bad. As maintenance heavy as the cambiocorsa can be, I actually prefer it in the Spyder as the short wheelbase works well with that setup.

12. intrepidcva11

intrepidcva11 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 12, 2009
    Saratoga Springs NY
    Full Name:
    Seth
    aaron, when I got my Spyder in Feb 2011 I had made inquiries about the scuttle shake and my feedback was that the cars had been redesigned in late in the first model year (2002) so as to include the 2003 models. Agree with you on the cambiocorsa transmission. My 2003 has minimal shake over very rough roadways.

13. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    I think a lot of the 6 speed manual cars that feel "notchy" are either in need of adjustment or the clutch pump is about to go out(very common in manual 4200's).

These cars are a steal....When you look at used cars in the same price range the 4200 Spyder's are 5 times the car and much more exotic. Compare to another Italian, the Alfa mid 1990's spider wich is now in the same price range. The Alfa is a slug and the styling is no better that the Maserati in my opinion as the Maserati also has a classic almost retro look.

14. Tony H

Tony H Karting

Sep 3, 2013
    #39 Tony H, Aug 17, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2016
    The manual trans is not made for "two finger" shifting. You have to remember that it has to not only synchronise the clutch and trans input shaft but also the drive shaft. That's a lot of inertia to deal with, but the transmission shifts well and the syncros work great.

I sold my 92 Alfa Spider to get my 02 Spyder. The Alfa was a nice toy but the Maser can keep up with the best of current technology.

These cars go through a predictable life cycle. They're leased new by lawyers and doctors for the first 4 to 5 years. They then go off lease but are still expensive enough so that they the languish in no-man's-land for 4 or 5 years. They might get leased again or bought and driven, but maintenance can be questionable. They then get very cheap because they're 10 years old and people fear maintenance costs and that's where vehicular bottom-feeders like me show up. If you know how to find a good car you can buy it cheap and drive it for years. If you're mechanically adept you can also keep maintenance costs under control and you've got a lot of money in your pocket if maintenance is needed.

15. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    The big problem with the early Masers was the FNA pricing model. Dealer cost was $65k, but MSRP was roughly $90k. Problem was they didn't sell. FNA was trying to sell Maseratis through Ferrari dealerships, and many of the younger customers had never heard of it, while many of the older buyers preferred Ferraris. So the cars sat, and then FNA started forcing dealers to buy Maseratis to get Ferraris. It was a mess, and the result was horrible initial depreciation. Now, if FNA had chosen a $75k entry price, it might have been a different story. But that's not the Italian way, I guess.

But, you're right. At today's prices, it a helluva deal for a cool car.

16. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    True, but they did make 3800 Spyders worldwide, wich is not a bad number. A large percent of the Spyders seemed to have been made for the N.A. market.

In 2005 Maserati came up with a base model 4200 to sell under the GS, starting at $65,000.00. Problem was that each dealer could only get 2 or 3 of them. It was an advertising trick, but it could have been the answer to slow sales if they had brought more in. They were all 6 speed manual coupes.

17. Tony H

Tony H Karting

Sep 3, 2013
    When I said "these cars" I didn't mean just Maseratis, I meant higher-priced performance cars.

18. arizonaitalian

arizonaitalian F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    #43 arizonaitalian, Aug 17, 2016
  19. arizonaitalian

arizonaitalian F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    My 2006 GS Spider had an MSRP of $112k. I bought it for $56k, exactly 50% of MSRP at age 2.5 years with 7k miles on it from the original owner. Its likely worth about $30k today I'd guess. First owner took a good sized hit. I am in for $26k of depreciation over the 7.5 years I've had it now. Not bad!

20. 355dreamer

355dreamer F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 3, 2006
    DC Metro
    Full Name:
    L.C.
    Holy Christmas that's a stunning combo. One of the best I've seen.

Kudos.

21. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby

I bought mine new for EXACTLY $100,000. 12 years later I traded it for $18,000

So, it lost $72,000 in 12 years or $6,000 a year. I didn't think that was a bad at all. If I bought a new Cadillac every 3 years it would have been much worse. So, it's all relative.

In that 12 years I never paid for any repairs and only for yearly maintenance and batteries.

I do agree that women like / appreciate Masers more than Ferrari's or Lamborghini's.

22. trustno1

trustno1 Formula Junior

Aug 4, 2011
    nth boring
    Full Name:
    IN COGNITO
    Hookers like the Fezzas more :)

23. SpyderGT

SpyderGT Formula Junior

May 15, 2005
    Vancouver, BC
    Full Name:
    Jon
    #48 SpyderGT, Aug 21, 2016
    My F-Chat handle reflects my earlier ownership of a spyder GT (11323). Very comfortable and capable GT car. Styling can be described as sophisticated, conservative or bland - your choice - but might allow you to drive quickly without attracting unwanted attention. Bullet-proof drivetrain. Errant CEL's and things like power top motors were its undoing. Some cowl shake, even on the 2004, but, as noted in an earlier post, not a substantive issue as a GT car. My wife liked the Maserati. I moved back in time to an '86 Ferrari 328 which is simpler, more reliable, less expensive to maintain (using an indpendent), slower, much less comfortable, but, for me, more fun to drive.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

24. Borca

Borca Rookie

Jan 7, 2012
    CT
    Full Name:
    PLM
    How I wish that hood could have a clear cover of some sort! Like the late model Ferraris. It is truly a beautiful engine. I enjoy my 6 speed, sticky buttons notwithstanding!

25. MaseratiCorse

MaseratiCorse Formula Junior

Nov 13, 2014
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Nicholas
    We have a GS and it is about to get Larini sports cats + a remap, more to the point, easily one of the most underrated exotics and the drive is sensational whatever the version. GS especially. Some shapes will just never age in this is one of them! Long live the 4200!