Barchetta Anyone? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Barchetta Anyone?

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by staatsof, Feb 22, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. mamamia

mamamia Karting

Dec 14, 2010
    England
    Full Name:
    Henry Jameson

2. licodix

licodix Formula Junior

Feb 7, 2009
    Central
    Full Name:
    Barchetta Mad Max

3. staatsof

staatsof Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Now that the discussion is not in the classified thread can we ask WTF the BMW engine statement from the seller was all about?

You and I tried to help out with Guara references and I've actually seen the original Guara here in PA where it was massively F'ed with for the purposes of becoming a fast track car which it was not. My GOC was faster than that thing with a BMW V8 in it. We also had the appearance here of two street Guaras back in the 1990's courtesy of of Geroge Garbut, former Maserati USA director before they left.

So I don't quite understand this seller. At best he's terribly ignorant about the car he seems to be selling. Is he just a broker or scammer? He's not terribly competent at any rate.

The pricing is absurd given the historical sales history. IMHO these will never reach Birdcage or 450S status no matter how much I'd wish for them to.

But they're still very cool cars and I'd love a drive in one. I tried like hell to make that happen here but the one here is a museum piece.

If one paid $300K for the car I'm not sure what you could do with it here? Legal road registry seems impossible but if any state would welcome that it would be PA. As I've said before I wouldn't want to have a wreck at the track in that car. But it would be lot's of fun for some fast laps on track days. I know it would blow the doors off of my GOC just like the F40s do. A Barchetta vs F40 set of laps would be fun to see! We could have arranged that at Pocono quite easily back in the late 1990s too. We had plenty of those at the track back then. Such a missed opportunity ... :(

4. italiancars

italiancars F1 Rookie

Apr 18, 2004
    Hershey, PA
    As much as I really love the Barchetta, it really is at this point just a neat conversation piece. If you're looking for a rare Italian track car, go buy an Alfa 4C (Spider) same performance 70k and a warranty.

5. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Oh there all kinds of track day cars that make more sense Joe and you happen to sell Alfas ... ;) The 4C is not as rare as this car is.

6. Bthesixthree

Bthesixthree Formula Junior
    BANNED

Dec 18, 2013
    CA
    Full Name:
    B
    HI Guys-

Sorry for such a late response. I didn't not know this thread was started. For what it is worth, the car is in California still.

As far as that mistaken comment that i made about its engine, that was an error. It was late at night and i was tired and had just got in a bright red DeTomaso Guara and got the Barchetta's engine stats confused with the DeTomaso's BMW V8 engine.

To clarify, this car DOES have the original 2.0L Twin-Turbo'd V6 engine. Also comes with a full binder of pictures dating back to when it was in Europe and more recently Japan. Thanks!

7. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    You should show the car this year at some well known shows to generate interest and perhaps an offer. Monterey?

Might be a good idea to study up on the car and the associated original race series.

8. licodix

licodix Formula Junior

Feb 7, 2009
    Central
    Full Name:
    Barchetta Mad Max
    There is another Barchetta coming to Monterey. Watch out!

9. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Auction or for a show? Which show?

10. bay

bay Formula 3

Mar 13, 2011
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Bernard
  11. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    I do love the look of these but .... as a collectors item I'm not so sure. At least not at those sort of prices.

Still For Sale

12. bski7908

bski7908 Karting

Oct 14, 2015
    Charlotte NC
    Full Name:
    MBS
    Was there ever any real link between the Barchetta and Chubasco? I've always wondered how close the Chubasco came to actually running and driving. I've read they shared a chassis or at least basic similarities like the wheelbase/ track widths.

13. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    I beleive the Chubasco static mock up pieces are with the Panini museum. The Barchetta itself was never a real automobile but rather set of race cars based upon time honored DeTomaso designs of a central backbone. With a Maserati Biturbo engine. The Guara was much more of an actual automobile for the road. I've seen a couple of those up close. Maserati had no development money for a Chubasco which would have become much more than an upgraded Barchetta. But similar? Yes.