1995 Maserati Ghibli open Cup at Gooding Monterey | Page 2 | FerrariChat

1995 Maserati Ghibli open Cup at Gooding Monterey

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by Ferrari 308 Vetro, Jul 20, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. staatsof

staatsof Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    It's a much better race car as a result of the 96 EVO upgrade kit as long as it was properly done and hopefully since it was raced after that series in some of the GT championships it got the VERY MUCH needed additional upgrades? Perhaps by Mr. Sala himself?

You did get it awfully cheap so budget some funds for going through the car completely and the possible upgrades needed to make a real race car. Call Bookout and see if his museum director, if he still has one, can give you any details on what was done to the car for the Italian GT races.

2. Ferrari 308 Vetro

Ferrari 308 Vetro F1 Rookie

Nov 12, 2012
    Austria
  3. Ferrari 308 Vetro

Nov 12, 2012
    Austria
    #28 Ferrari 308 Vetro, Aug 22, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  4. Ferrari 308 Vetro

Nov 12, 2012
    Austria
  5. Ferrari 308 Vetro

Nov 12, 2012
    Austria
    @staatsof, thanks for helping. The car will go back to Europe and I will try to find so many Informations as possible.

Will use it for trackdays after a full mechanic service.

If sameone has period pictures, or Imformations, would be great, thanks

6. Ghibli Cup #11

Ghibli Cup #11 Karting

Jun 17, 2004
    Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Noah
    I had the road going 2.0L cup car as my DD for a few years in Germany. Nice car, but not much torque. When I took it to the track, I removed the headlights as the air intakes were positioned directly behind them. DIY cold air intake. Also, the clutch pedal effort was so high, my left leg was sore for a month. I did't realize it until I had a trip back the states for a few weeks. My leg pain was gone until the first time I was back and put the clutch in to start the car. Also, the stock mufflers killed the sound. The dealer had straight pipes on and it sounded magical. I assume the Open car has a similar setup. I remember the car rotating very nicely on turn in with a little braking and the LSD allowing for very nice slides on exit. Enjoy your new toy!

7. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    I never found the clutch to be that stiff? I've driven the street version and it's wildly different than a 96 EVO setup. I think a non EVO setup could be a more usable vehicle since that you could drive on the road and not be too low or ride like a coal truck.

I think I remember exhaust your story though. It was a very unfortunate sale through a dealer there who went bankrupt right?

Open cup cars have the Saudi exhaust with almost no muffler. Even so you can barely hear the engine when driving on the track.

If this car still has the stock Ghibli headlamps I would cover those with something very protective as they are NLA like most parts for these cars. The EVO kit is supposed to include brackets, new headlamp fairings of fiberglass and F355 headlamps. I have no idea why they did that?????????

8. mamamia

mamamia Karting

Dec 14, 2010
    England
    Full Name:
    Henry Jameson
    It would appear that those plastic parts needed for the conversion to the Japanese headlight modification are no longer available from the factory.

9. Ferrari 308 Vetro

Nov 12, 2012
    Austria
    Are there any Videos of the 95 and 96 saison?
    Thanks for helping

10. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    There was some European TV network at the time that did video tape the at least some races but I could never track them down and find it. There are some very brief clips, nothing compelling. I'd suggest that you join an old Yahoo groups forum BiturboZentrum as these cars are discussed a bit on there. A long time Biturbo owner and member there from Norway, Jarle, might be able to look for that stuff. Join and then see if perhaps the two of you can track this info down. I started a website on Yahoo for these cars but soon determined that there aren't enough of these cars to generate much traffic so I closed it. There's lots more pertinent information on BiturboZentrum. One of the Mclaren engineers owns a Ghibli Cup car and has been quite active and helpful on that forum. He's owned the car for quite a few years and loves it. There are plenty of very qualified people there but it's not a high volume social forum like this one is.

11. Ursa Major

Ursa Major Karting

Feb 25, 2011
    Norway
    Somewhere I believe I have a VHS tape with two Open Cup races from Eurosport TV. Not quite sure where, though. We have the standard roadgoing Ghibli GT, but I have also driven the Open Cup from Heilbronn, Germany to Oslo, Norway on the Autobahn back in 2004. It was the most uncomfortable ride I have ever experienced. Loud, stiff and clearly not meant for the streets. The racing clutch and overall attack in the car was completely different from the road going versions. I advertised the Open Cup here on FChat about two years ago on behalf of the former owner, but it was sold locally and is still in Norway.

12. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Eurosport TV sounds familiar.

If it's still in good condition a conversion to digital format with a post to Youtube would be great. I have no idea if that would be a potential copyright issue though?

There is this brief tidbit out there, not from the races though ...

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XsKJmjM1elw[/ame]

13. Ghibli Cup #11

Ghibli Cup #11 Karting

Jun 17, 2004
    Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Noah
    Yes, the car was embezzled. I gave it to the dealer Ernsdoerfer to sell on consignment. The tax man came to shut him down for failure to pay and they took everything on the lot and sold it at auction. Even though the car was registered and insured under my name. I sued and won but the car sold at auction for a fraction of it's value and that's all I received.

14. Ferrari 308 Vetro

Nov 12, 2012
    Austria
  15. Ghibli Cup #11

Ghibli Cup #11 Karting

Jun 17, 2004
    Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Noah

16. Ferrari 308 Vetro

Nov 12, 2012
    Austria
    Thank you. What chassis number was yours?

17. Ferrari 308 Vetro

Nov 12, 2012
    Austria
    #42 Ferrari 308 Vetro, Aug 23, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  18. Ewan

Ewan Karting

Jul 5, 2015
    Dorset, UK
    Ferrari 308 Vetri - congratulations on this purchase. Have sent you a private message.

Ewan.

19. Ferrari 308 Vetro

Nov 12, 2012
    Austria
  20. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob

Do you have any documentation about what modifications were done AFTER the original race series were over? Engine compartment photos?

Panini's green car is an example of a successfully modified car but it's no longer even close to being an original one.

21. Ferrari 308 Vetro

Nov 12, 2012
    Austria
    no documentation, but the car is highly original, it was after the two races in 96 imported to the US, and I am sure there are no mods been done, why should they?

So the car has 2 owners. There is less documentation in the papers, so I have to do some Research, what I really like ;-)

Car is running, but for sure it Needs a full Service.

22. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    You're in for a real surprise if that's what you beleive.

I thought this one participated in the Italian GT racing series? The car would have had to be modified to do well and survive in that series. They weren't around for very long in racing ...

23. Ferrari 308 Vetro

Nov 12, 2012
    Austria
    It still has the stickers from the Open Cup, so I think it is in the condition from the Maserati Cup 96.

But, I have to do a lot of research, and this is what I like ;-)

24. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    See that Coppa GT Special at the top of the windscreen, not a stock Cup series sticker.

Italian GT Championship - Championships - Racing Sports Cars

Italian GT Magione 1996 - Race Results - Racing Sports Cars

Look them all over

97 & 98 as well and it gives an idea of some the competitors using these cars.
    I think yours must have been in one of them or was registered to appear and then sold?

William Sala used prep these cars for real racing. You'll find info about him on Enrico's website.

I think it's good thing if it did because it may be better sorted.

25. Ferrari 308 Vetro

Nov 12, 2012
    Austria
    You are wright, yes the sticker on the top, interesting, thank you. Think this car will bring some surprises, good so.

From 97 on it was in US, so it can be only in 96 or beginning 97.