Monterey/ Pebble Beach auction thread | Page 12 | FerrariChat

Monterey/ Pebble Beach auction thread

Discussion in 'Vintage Ferrari Market' started by Timmmmmmmmmmy, Aug 6, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Terra

Terra F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 16, 2004
    Silver/Black. Psychotic jewelry/brain-surgery level of restoration.

2. Randy

Randy Formula 3

Nov 9, 2003
    Illinois
    Full Name:
    Randy
    Any idea what the reserve was? Seems like a pretty significant car

3. Terra

Terra F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 16, 2004
    Owner wanted close to 250 LM money. It's not quite worth that.

4. Timmmmmmmmmmy

Timmmmmmmmmmy F1 Rookie

Apr 5, 2010
    NZ
    Full Name:
    Timothy Russell
    Ferrari's engine designers came up with 2.4 and 2.6 litre v8s along with 1.9 and 2.8 litre v6s in the off season between 1961 and 62 when there wasn't really anything wrong with the 2.4 litre v6 they already had. The 246SP had plenty of success in 1961 and 62 and the 196SP had lots of success as well and later use in various vehicles but three of the cars with the "wrong" engines never had any real success. #0790 is the pick of the bunch and is entirely original and has a great competition history, #0804 is probably my second favorite. I would recommend anyone interested to get their filthy mitts on the excellent book on the SP by John Godfrey, then owner of #0804, Cheers Tim

5. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    A nice article- thank you for sharing. So what happens next?

6. Timmmmmmmmmmy

Timmmmmmmmmmy F1 Rookie

Apr 5, 2010
    NZ
    Full Name:
    Timothy Russell
    Brilliant article, I agree with your sentiments. My pleasure.
    I will be emailing everyone that has requested my spreadsheet of auction result data in the next two hours. If you want to receive this (its free) please email me when convenient. So far I have full published results from Bonhams, Gooding & Co., Mecum & RM - Sothebys. Will do another mailout when I have Russo & Steele and/or Rick Cole.

Cheers
    Tim
    [email protected]

7. Simon1965

Simon1965 Formula Junior

Feb 8, 2011
    HKSAR
    Full Name:
    Simon

Why did this car catch such a high bid ? I get that it was a very nice restoration and had a well documented history etc but what else made it special? Is it a record price for a 330GT 2+2?

8. 19633500GT

19633500GT F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 9, 2010
    Blueberry
    Full Name:
    Muffin-Tops

Two drunk gentleman "swinging" away ;)

That's all it takes sometimes...

But seriously, it was a nice car and well documented, but GTC money (or over following last week)? Pass.

9. Simon1965

Simon1965 Formula Junior

Feb 8, 2011
    HKSAR
    Full Name:
    Simon
    Looking at the listing it seems that it was restored to concourse condition and it is a 2 headlight version. The guidance was more or less correct but this car sold for more than 60% more than expected.

10. FarEastFerrari

FarEastFerrari Formula Junior

Jan 27, 2014
    Hong Kong, LA & NY
    Full Name:
    Thomas Choi
    This article mentions that Lussos were now barely $2M. I remember in 2014 turning down a chance to buy one for 1.5M. I dont know if I would buy it today if it was offered to me at 1.5M because that is a hell of a lot of money for a car that wasn't raced and produced in the hundreds. I am not surprised that the prices are 20% off their highs because they rose so fast. There is no rule that says that classic Fcars from the 50's and 60's have to increase double digits each year. People shouldn't panic nor get upset. If you have nice Ferrari or two, just enjoy it. Keeping money in these cars is still a better bet than becoming a unsecured creditor to a bank (i.e. depositing cash) or buying stocks which themselves are in a super bubble due to the zero interest rate environment.

11. terrafirma

terrafirma Rookie

Aug 24, 2016
    New York
    Full Name:
    Chi Mer
    Awesome work product Tim. Thanks.

12. 275GTBSaran

275GTBSaran Formula Junior

Mar 5, 2012
    Zurich, Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Le Monde Edmond
    There is a correction taking place in classic cars this is clear. Although I have no crystal ball I highly doubt Lusso's will drop back to $1.5m. Only 350 of these cars were made and many consider (myself included) it to be the prettiest Ferrari ever made even though its not perfect to drive.

But you make a very good point. What goes up that fast (in price) comes down eventually. Ferrari included. A correction is normal. Healthy. Necessary. Agree with your stock market analysis too by the way.

13. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    After 2008 the market took a gasp - and came back stronger than ever before.

I do not believe that the market comes back soon so strong than in 2013-15 but it will come back.

Far too much $$$$s are floading around the globe and need to be invested....sooner or later!

Ciao!
    Walter

14. MikeRSR

MikeRSR Formula Junior

Jun 22, 2009
    Surrey, England
    No, all it takes is one drunk gentleman and a ringer.....

15. 19633500GT

19633500GT F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 9, 2010
    Blueberry
    Full Name:
    Muffin-Tops
    Touché sir!

16. 275GTBSaran

275GTBSaran Formula Junior

Mar 5, 2012
    Zurich, Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Le Monde Edmond
    Actually that is the problem Walter. Money is for free and sooner or later that will have devastating consequences. Its fake money and fake money cannot be invested in real assets in the long run.

17. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    It could...

18. peterp

peterp F1 Veteran

Aug 31, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Is this true? I don't know the auction system well, so I may be wrong, but I've always thought that shill bidders only were involved until there is a real bid or until it hits reserve.

19. coryh

coryh Karting

Nov 26, 2011
    3 bidders in the room and all wanted the car. Perfect timing for the seller......

20. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    @275GTBSaran & @FarEastFerrari,
    Thank you both for your insights and thoughts.

All I can tell you is I think the Lusso is great fun to drive and a debate of the merits/ demerits of the car would also be enjoyable.

The Lusso is last of the 250s- a truly legendary series of cars. My opinion for what it's worth, the Lusso represents the moment that Mr. Enzo Ferrari broadened his thinking to sell a more street biased vehicle along side the pure race cars for the street. You could argue its the foundation for all the modern V12 cars, though I think that's too simple.

And yet, even though the car was more designed for the street and for beauty, some people took them racing and had success!

And it really is a gorgeous car. The most beautiful Ferrari ever? Thats a fun debate. I think its in the group of "most beautiful", that's for sure.

I like the advice from FarEastFerrari: Just drive it!

21. terrafirma

terrafirma Rookie

Aug 24, 2016
    New York
    Full Name:
    Chi Mer
  22. Mrpbody44

Mrpbody44 F1 Veteran

Jul 5, 2007
    St Augustine Florida
    Full Name:
    Steve Metz
    The Lusso is geared too high and has some front end issues that now can be fixed fairly easily. I had one as a daily driver in NYC back when they were just used cars. Swapping the rear end ratios helps a bunch. Still like a Daytona not much fun to drive in modern urban traffic. I love the Lusso but Alfa's are a lot more fun to drive

23. cscott

cscott Formula Junior

Dec 31, 2002
    New Orleans
    Full Name:
    Chris Scott
    So the market was very strong then a bit frothy then some crazy asking prices plus you expect the usual crazy Pebble red mist and so it seems like a big drop but.....if you look at the data it does not look too bad to me. I was going through the spreadsheet that Thomas put together (really awesome by the way!) and the data tells a few things.

1. Some buyer reserves/expectations are either too high or they paid too much recently
    2. Mecum was a disaster overall. Ferrari's at a 30% sale rate but the ones that did sell the prices were within the estimates overall.
    3. Removing Mecum, the other auction houses were able to sell in the 80%+ range and the gross fell within estimates overall.
    4. pricing seem pretty consistent between pre-war, 55-73, and 74 on.
    5. If I remove no-sales, the overall total still slightly exceeded the low estimates on 300 million plus in sales.

Again, we have become used to shattering records at Monterey and not getting to low estimate but the pricing is still fairly strong to me.

I see some of the 55-73 cars as having peaked and are backing down. If boomers have had enough then I am not sure that segment will every be as strong again. I don't see the sky falling but I do believe a generational effect will take place.

Just my .02 on the data

24. cheesey

cheesey Formula 3

Jun 23, 2011
    there has been a pause in printing of money... when the printing is turned back on prices will once again esculate... everyone is waiting on election results before committing.... if there is too much printing the economies become the proverbial house of cards... regardless the best cars will continue as a store of value

25. Timmmmmmmmmmy

Timmmmmmmmmmy F1 Rookie

Apr 5, 2010
    NZ
    Full Name:
    Timothy Russell
    True, I note most auctions have either a cash or free bar......Drunk people, especially those that have their young blonde "cousin" sitting next to them will always splash some cash around. Chandalier bidding will usually only occur to reserve...... Above reserve it is illegal although one would note that all chandalier bidding is legal in some states like New York but is difficult to spot..... And it only really matters if the car is either being sold at no reserve or has already met reserve and they are trying to milk more money......