A6GCS Pininfarina Berlinetta | Page 3 | FerrariChat

A6GCS Pininfarina Berlinetta

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by Portenos, Nov 15, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Christian Giordanengo

Feb 23, 2011
    Boves CN
    Full Name:
    Christian Giordaneng
    goodmorning Franco,
    thanks for the compliments, I try my best not to disappoint the expectations, I'm growing professonal and maybe one day I'll be like my grandfather, I will do everything possible!

but in the first time i need learn the english......

2. bellabarbas

bellabarbas Formula Junior

Dec 28, 2008
    Italy
    Full Name:
    Corrado
    #52 bellabarbas, Dec 6, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    NEP likes this.
  3. Franco Lombardi

Franco Lombardi Karting

Nov 17, 2009
    Genova
    Full Name:
    Franco Lombardi
    Caro Corrado,
    excellent find! I knew of Palmieri presence at the 1954 Giro dell'Umbria with race No. 1012 and I had some photos, but not showing clearly the slightly modified Trident in the grille compared to the one originally fitted at the Turin Show. See the enclosed photos (if I can post them...)
    Thank you for posting those lovely Alinari photos

4. Franco Lombardi

Franco Lombardi Karting

Nov 17, 2009
    Genova
    Full Name:
    Franco Lombardi
    #54 Franco Lombardi, Dec 12, 2014
    NEP likes this.
  5. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    #55 PSk, Dec 12, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2014
  6. Fulvia-hf

Fulvia-hf Rookie

Dec 23, 2014
    netherlands
    Full Name:
    william
    #56 Fulvia-hf, Dec 27, 2014
    I've stumbled upon this thread just the other day and it is wonderfull to read that so many people love the iconic shape of this car, with the grille of the 250F, only repeated by Maserati with the 2007 GT but never bettered. Before I knew of the existence of this, in my eyes very un Pininfarina design as it is downright agressive looking for which one normaly had to go to Zagato, not to Pinifarina, my all time favourite car was the one-off Siata 208Cs chassis BS537 also know as the Mexico Coupe.
    Stunning car but just not as stunning as 2057.
    In Essen 2013 I saw a low roof, split window coupe, probably is a replica too, on the Maserati classic stand.
    Anyone knows what this is?
    William
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

NEP likes this.
  7. JSinNOLA

JSinNOLA F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Bump out of curiousity of the last post...

8. AMLC

AMLC Formula Junior

Apr 4, 2009
  9. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ
    Staff Member Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    #59 El Wayne, Aug 24, 2016
    This is a replica.

There was only one low-roof, split-window PF Berlinetta built and it was rebodied into a spyder not long afterward. Chassis 2057, which was shown at the 1954 Turn Salon in two-tone blue, was rebodied into a Fantuzzi Spyder in 1955 and the chassis number was changed to 2086. Despite this, there are at least three low-roof, split-window berlinettas currently making the rounds:

- A6 GCS Fantuzzi Spyder wearing the original berlinetta body of chassis 2057 (two-tone blue)
    - Replica (based on?) painted dark blue with a light blue stripe
    - Replica (based on?) painted cream with dark blue stripe

Here are 2057 at the '54 Turin Salon, 2070 (with 2057's original body), and several images of the other replica:

NEP likes this.
  10. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ
    Staff Member Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    Update: I just received information from someone who was directly involved with the construction of this cream-colored car. It is a highly accurate replica, based on a replicated chassis, and has no A6GCS chassis number. When displayed, it has always been presented/labeled/identified as a replica.

11. Franco Lombardi

Franco Lombardi Karting

Nov 17, 2009
    Genova
    Full Name:
    Franco Lombardi
    Thanks for sharing further information. Let me just add that another - highly relevant - difference of 2057/2070, aside from the low-roof and the split windshield, is the rounded tail treatment, as opposed to the rear fins of its sister cars. Very much anticipating a Ferrari 250GT s.w.b berlinetta. Hope I remember how to post a pix showing the rear end.
    Franco Lombardi

12. redfred84

redfred84 Formula Junior

Dec 24, 2010
    SF Bay Area, USA
    Any idea of which company produced the replica?
    RF.

13. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    #63 F1tommy, Aug 25, 2016
    A look tried before and after on many other cars before the Maserati and 250 SWB. I was surprised at how much the first car pictured looks like a SWB with 375 Ingrid Bergman rear window pillars. It is not a Ferrari.

14. Autoart

Autoart Karting

Jun 12, 2006
    Melbourne, AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    Mike Nicholas
    The first car in the darker colour is a FIAT OTTO VU.

15. redfred84

redfred84 Formula Junior

Dec 24, 2010
    SF Bay Area, USA
    Wondering if anyone has any experience with any of the replica A6GCS Coupes? Pur Sang? The guy in NZ? Fine Sports Cars? Anyone?

16. redfred84

redfred84 Formula Junior

Dec 24, 2010
    SF Bay Area, USA
    I know that there are at least 3 examples of replicas out there, and 4th being constructed around a QP111. Does anyone have any knowledge or experience with these?
    RF.

17. wilde

wilde Formula Junior

Jan 12, 2009
    France
    I think that the previous examples shown here are from Giordanengo. The dark blue belongs to a famous belgian collector.

18. Portenos

Portenos Formula 3

Aug 20, 2004
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Carguytour
    Well Fred, my experience is rather limited however I do know from a former owner that yes, they are extremely beautiful and a great scale, but they are horrible to drive.
    They are extremely hot and extremely noisy in the cabin and if you weight over 125lbs you will find it impossible to get into and out of.
    Peter Kaus once told me he had to eventually roll out onto the ground to get out.
    An imposable car but so beautiful and sexy.
    From beautiful downtown Modena on the - Car Guy Tour - this is just my 0.02 Lira
    Ciao,
    FGM

19. redfred84

redfred84 Formula Junior

Dec 24, 2010
    SF Bay Area, USA
    Hi Frank, and thanks for the speedy reply.
    Yes, this sounds like any typical enclosed race car; even Gullwings are this way (I've driven a few). Thanks for the feed back though. Have you any idea of what became of the Pur Sang car you visited in Argentina?
    Wish I could be among you on the Car Guy tour, but I still have to finish this damn house/shop.
    Many Thanks, RF.

20. Dominik B.

Dominik B. Karting

Mar 5, 2017
    Cape Town
    Full Name:
    Dominik B
    Since we are discussing replicas, I can assure that they can be made to fit 6.4" / 1.92 m 190 lbs drivers (me) without extending the wheelbase. I have to enter the car head first!
    I moved the tank to be able to have more space for the backrest. Legroom is now the same as an early 2000s MB SLK. No spare wheel.

Noisy, yes, mainly because of the side exhaust. Hot, not at all if you vent the engine bay properly. This car lives in South Africa hasn't seen summer yet but a few days above 30°C. I strongly advise to have a good fan inside to clear the windshield.

Driveability is excellent. The new lady owner loves every kilometer (she is short, though). I used a 60s chassis.

As for originality, the budget of the new client allows to insert Maserati drivetrain and use Maserati axles. The first one didn't.

21. Ed Niles

Ed Niles Formula 3
    Honorary

Sep 7, 2004
    West Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Edwin K. Niles
    Hi Franco! Just a word of thanks for the most interesting thread. I love your car! I have very fond memories of the days when Sal DiNatale was my first Ferrari tech, and he would let me drive home in his Maser Zagato as a "loan car". What a sweet driver. And of course there was his buddy (the doctor whose name escapes me in my dotage) with his PF berlinetta. Thanks for keeping the memories alive! Ed

22. bellabarbas

bellabarbas Formula Junior

Dec 28, 2008
    Italy
    Full Name:
    Corrado
  23. Franco Lombardi

Franco Lombardi Karting

Nov 17, 2009
    Genova
    Full Name:
    Franco Lombardi
    Dear Corrado,
    Thanks for posting this lovely photo of Count Magi Diligenti berlinetta (2060) at the '55 Mille Miglia. You might like to know that many, many years ago - when I discovered the first photo of the white berlinetta at the MM - I immediately started researching with the Milan A.C. P.R.A. to discover the identity of that car. At that time, about 40 years ago, information and data on those berlinettas was really scarce. I rushed therefore to their Milan offices to discover that the licence plate with that car belonged to a humble Fiat 1100. In those happy days nobody cared much about proper documents for a racing car!
    As we all know, this lovely carrozzeria was soon disconnected from its original chassis and ended-up, later, being fitted to Giardini's A6G CS (2089), more or less as it happened to my car (2057/2070), the Turin Show two-tone of blue berlinetta. After an early "restoration" by my old friend Boris Subbotin, 2060/2089 is now with Bill Marriott, nicely restored by David Carte.
    2060, the original chassis, while owned by Count Hubertus Doenhoff, was then restored with a replica body and it is still around in a silver livery.
    Franco Lombardi

24. Boudewijn

Boudewijn F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

May 15, 2003
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Boudewijn Berkhoff
    Hello Franco,

I thought 2059 was the 1955 Mille Miglia entered car on racing# 643? I have this information coming from you quite some years ago :).

Best regards
    Boudewijn

25. Franco Lombardi

Franco Lombardi Karting

Nov 17, 2009
    Genova
    Full Name:
    Franco Lombardi
    Hi Boudewijn,
    I can't remember presenting 643 at the1955 MM as 2059. If I did so, sorry: obviously my mistake, or a classic senior moment…
    Best,
    Franco