How to get access to the front light assembly | FerrariChat

How to get access to the front light assembly

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by Dohangs, Aug 28, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Dohangs

Dohangs F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2008
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Spiro
    Hi there
    Does anyone know how to gain access to the front light assembly. I noticed one of the little jewels (bulbs) fell off. Is there a way to open it up? I hope so, but knowing Ferrari, there is no way to gain access so you'd have to pay for an entire light which probably costs around $7000.

2. doccharlie954

doccharlie954 Formula Junior

Jul 27, 2010
    First you have to take off the wheel, front bumper, plastic piece inside engine, then you have access to the light. You will have to find some one to split the light in half and reglue the jewel back on put it all back together. Check with your dealer as my dealer splits them when they get foggy inside. They charge $1,200.00 for this service.

3. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    #3 4th_gear, Aug 28, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    It's not that difficult to remove the headlight unit from the car by removing the gravel guard from the wheel well (see attached photo showing 3 attachment points) but putting the LED(s) back in place would be another matter. I imagine the only possible way to do that is to somehow remove the clear lens in a clean fashion to gain access and then either reinstall the lens cleanly or somehow obtain and install a replacement lens.

I think the whole issue of the LEDs falling out is frankly outrageous and Cali owners dread this happening to them. This defect really should qualify a RECALL ITEM.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Beach Boy and MadhuAF1 like this.
  4. doccharlie954

doccharlie954 Formula Junior

Jul 27, 2010
    The only way to remove this headlight is TO REMOVE THE ENTIRE FRONT BUMPER. MY headlight had to be fixed and I was there at the Ferrari body shop when it being replaced. You cannot do it any other way PERIOD. You just can't remove the plastic fender liner and expect to fix it that way. Just won't work. It has to be done the way I described in my above post.

5. Dohangs

Dohangs F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2008
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Spiro
    Thanks for the Iformation. I was going to see if my guy can fix this but I may just let the dealership do it.

6. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    #6 4th_gear, Aug 28, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    You're right.

While the 3 tabs are indeed for mounting the headlight unit, the screws are shown fastened from the top and the front rather than from the opposite directions, as you can see in the headlights diagram I took off the Ricambi website. While those 3 tabs would appear to be much easier to access from the wheel well as shown in the second drawing. It's unfortunate the procedure requires removal of a major externally visible panel as well as the plastic apron inside engine compartment.

Thanks for the correction and clarification.

Beach Boy likes this.
  7. glob1971

glob1971 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 3, 2011
    Czech Republic
    I have the same problem on my Ferrari California, those little jewels (bulbs) are falling off.

Do you know if this is covered by the power warranty ?

8. rocketman

rocketman Formula 3

Oct 1, 2009
    NY & Miami
    Please post a pic of the defective bulbs (jewels) that you are referring to.

9. Dohangs

Dohangs F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2008
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Spiro
    Sorry, I don't own the car anymore. Don't have a picture

10. Paul Adams

Paul Adams Rookie

Sep 12, 2018
    Palm Beach
    Full Name:
    Paul Adams
  11. MadhuAF1

MadhuAF1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2020
    Full Name:
    Madhu Aiyappen
    Paul, Did you get an estimate to fix? I am facing same issues.

12. MadhuAF1

MadhuAF1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2020
    Full Name:
    Madhu Aiyappen
  13. 355Aloha

355Aloha Karting

Feb 15, 2004
    Honolulu Hawaii
    Full Name:
    John N
    HI
    What dealer took the unit apart.

14. 355Aloha

355Aloha Karting

Feb 15, 2004
    Honolulu Hawaii
    Full Name:
    John N
    HI
    What dealer took the light apart, I might have to send my lights to them or have my dealer contact them

15. MadhuAF1

MadhuAF1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2020
    Full Name:
    Madhu Aiyappen
    I have not been able to get an estimate yet. Sorry to heatr that you are having same issue. I wish Ferrari does something about this as there is no guarantee that after you fix another one does not fall off : ( I will keep you posted.

16. 355Aloha

355Aloha Karting

Feb 15, 2004
    Honolulu Hawaii
    Full Name:
    John N
    I have watched videos on Youtube, they all show putting the headlight of a pice of wood in the oven for 12-15 min at 180-200 degrees.
    But the issues are, we can not remove all lights like they recommend in the videos, so back to the heat gun option.