2016 Formula One Season ***Possible Spoilers*** | Page 60 | FerrariChat

2016 Formula One Season ***Possible Spoilers***

Discussion in 'Australia' started by Aircon, Dec 2, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    Me too. I made mention of it from something he did last race before the break where I said something along the lines of "I am starting to dislike him".

I guess he is still a young pup and will come good in time. My heart stopped for a second there when I thought Kimi was going to rear end him.

Imagine how Kimi felt in the car going at that speed! He stayed very composed of course, he is a seasoned veteran and I was waiting for the barrage of f-bombs which he didn't disappoint. :)

2. VMax

VMax F1 Rookie

Nov 21, 2003
    Perth, W.Australia
    Full Name:
    Mike Sharpe
    Let's also not forget Wehrlein who seemed to be very angry at JB for allowing himself to be rammed off the road by the Manor ;)

3. Aircon

Aircon Ten Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Don't Greeks' hearts always miss a beat when they think of rear ending ?

4. PAP 348

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    Dear me, all this talk of rear ending has got Greg and I excited! :eek::eek:

5. IanB

IanB F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 15, 2006
    Sydney
    would you put in a word for me at Renault? Heck, Manor would do :)

He had it corrected but didn't snap off lock, which put him into the wall. That is a 100% beginner mistake and you practice for it on a simulator. Particularly with F1 cars being so taily these days.

6. SPEEDCORE

SPEEDCORE Four Time F1 World Champ

Jul 11, 2005
    Full Name:
    Toe Knee
    #1481 SPEEDCORE, Aug 28, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  7. IanB

IanB F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 15, 2006
    Sydney
    Is it me, or was there a reason why we didn't have so many young drivers in F1 a generation ago? It used to be a progression over several seasons each through multiple junior formulas, now it's karts till you turn 16, 1 or 2 years in F3 or GP2, than away you go in F1.

The bloke in the other Manor has gone from F3 straight to F1, that's about 600hp in one step.

8. IanB

IanB F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 15, 2006
    Sydney
    which takes me back to an earlier point - if there was grass on the other side of the rumble strip, all the off track BS would stop immediately.

9. Aircon

Aircon Ten Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Like I said, looks so easy, especially in slow motion.

10. PAP 348

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    +1

+1

A lot like apprenticeships these days.

Everyone is keen to fast track apprentices these days under the "competency based" system that it's breeding apprentices in all trades that are useless.

I see it everyday at work. We have 4th year apprentices that are hopeless. They are 4th year apprentices, but have only completed 2 years of their trade because of the competency based system they use here in QLD.

They are just about to turn into tradesman and you wouldn't piss on them if they were on fire. :rolleyes:

11. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Max is a racer.

Yes he will make plenty of mistakes, as a certain MS, Prost and Senna, etc. did but the great thing about him is that he IS 100% a racer and goes for every chance he can.

After watching that race I have to say a couple of things:
    1. My respect for Elton as a person has gone up after he asked after the (Renault) driver to make sure he was okay.
    2. McLaren is not so slowly getting back up to the sharp end: excellent, and what a great drive by Alonso.
    3. Vettel is weak as a racer. Unless he's on pole and can lead he struggles IMO.
    Pete

12. IanB

IanB F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 15, 2006
    Sydney
    +1 Good point.

13. IanB

IanB F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 15, 2006
    Sydney
    Any idiot can dive, aggression needs to be balanced with control and strategy.

"to finish first, first you must finish". I quite enjoyed seeing him plumb last after his brainless move. Meanwhile, Daniel kept out of the amateur hour at turn 1 and drove a considered, intelligent race.

Vettel threw away his race at turn 1 too, without Max he would have had a lot more criticism.

14. SPEEDCORE

SPEEDCORE Four Time F1 World Champ

Jul 11, 2005
    Full Name:
    Toe Knee
    They are all ****ing racers :rolleyes: That's the most retarded saying in motorsport.

I don't give a **** if he went for it he CHEATED and should be punished.

Elton was the only driver on the radio, how do we know everyone else didn't ask the same question?? :rolleyes:

Alonso is the best.

no comment about Vettel :p

15. VMax

VMax F1 Rookie

Nov 21, 2003
    Perth, W.Australia
    Full Name:
    Mike Sharpe
  16. PAP 348

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    I have watched many racers where LH has asked if the driver is ok after an accident. :)

Now I think about it, they always seem to put his radio call up asking that!! :eek:

It almost makes it look like he is the only one asking if the driver was ok.

I call BS to that!!!!

Obvious media propaganda!! :mad:

17. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Actually they aren't. Some drivers wait for the race to come to them, others go out and get it.

Anyway my point was Max is still learning and most good F1 drivers go through this overly aggressive stage for they rein it in. Prost, etc. did ... yes even Prost!

It is far better to have a really fast driver and teach him how to win races, than a safe driver and try and make them fast.

In regards to Elton's radio comment, I don't care if others asked the same, I simply gained a little respect for Elton because he did.
    Pete

18. PAP 348

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
  19. IanB

IanB F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 15, 2006
    Sydney
    Mark Hughes in Motorsport:

With a big speed difference, the Ferrari devoured the gap to the Red Bull. Just as we saw in Hungary, Verstappen hovered in the middle of the track and simply waited for Räikkönen to choose a side – and only then chose to go that way too. It was a horrifically dangerous move, forcing Räikkönen, travelling in excess of 210mph, to brake and jink left to avoid what would have been an enormous accident. It didn’t actually break the letter of any regulation and as such wasn’t investigated by the stewards, just underlining how misguided it is trying to encompass every racing situation into a catch-all regulation. It was every bit as lethal as the very similar move Michael Schumacher put upon Mika Häkkinen a few yards further up this piece of track in 2000.

20. PAP 348

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    +1

21. VMax

VMax F1 Rookie

Nov 21, 2003
    Perth, W.Australia
    Full Name:
    Mike Sharpe
  22. PAP 348

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
  23. VMax

VMax F1 Rookie

Nov 21, 2003
    Perth, W.Australia
    Full Name:
    Mike Sharpe
    Interesting to read Paddy Lowe's comments on Motorsport.com, several times he was discussing Mercedes' race and said things like "Thanks to Max taking out himself and the Ferraris". It really looks like Max+Jos+Mateschitz+NL vs World.

I'm also a little curious about the thought process behind "I wasn't investigated, therefore it's A-OK". I wonder how long that'll hold when he gets penalised for something (IIRC he already was at STR and moaned about it...)?

24. IanB

IanB F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 15, 2006
    Sydney
    Bernie and CVC of course will be loving the current attention.

They'll probably ask him to dive in turn 1 at every race :rolleyes: