Oil dripping from... the license plate? | FerrariChat

Oil dripping from... the license plate?

Discussion in '360/430' started by arachnyd, Aug 28, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. arachnyd

arachnyd Karting

Feb 5, 2016
    Springboro
    #1 arachnyd, Aug 28, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Yes this is odd. I noticed two oil drips on my concrete floor of my garage. Found that odd so I began investigating.There was oil up along the back of my radar jammer, plate frame, and plate.

I just got an oil change and plugs replaced about 75 miles ago, so I don't know if its related.

I took off the plate and there was a decent amount of oil, but it didn't seem like there was any on the paint.

I'm somewhat at a loss... is this spraying up from the bottom (Theres a few barely noticeable spots underbody that might be oil residue but nothing strong) or somehow finding its way along the cables for the jammer (but I only found residue at the very end so that doesn't seem logical either), I'm not sure, but I can't find anything suspicious in the engine bay too.

I'm totally at a loss. Any thoughts?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Turbotuner20v

Turbotuner20v Formula Junior

Mar 18, 2014
    Do you have a mesh grill gap between your diffuser and bumper? Might be f1 system fluid leaking and blowing back from the actuator onto the plate, or engine oil that is pooled on the under tray

3. RedTaxi

RedTaxi F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 1, 2012
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Glen
    Could be a leak further in as said. Air flow through the engine bay could push it rearwards. I would take the undertray off and check it out. Or take it back and complain.

4. arachnyd

arachnyd Karting

Feb 5, 2016
    Springboro
    I wish the dealer wasn't a 4 hour drive away... jealous of those close by.

I'll try the undertray and see what I can uncover. its very clean oil, and I didn't just change the F1 so I'm guessing it must be motor oil.

5. mikeyr

mikeyr Formula 3

Jun 17, 2004
    Santa Barbara, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike Rambour
    when that happened to me it was a F1 leak, actually not a leak but I had overfilled the F1 reservoir and a little overflowed onto the rear panel and kept going to the lowest point of the rear bumper which is by the license plate. Since you mentioned you had a recent oil change but not F1 is it possible they topped off the F1, it does not take much to overfill it.

6. John_K_348

John_K_348 F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2013
    Boston, MA
    Full Name:
    John E. Kenney
    Is F1 hydraulic? Should be able to tell the difference. Overfilling or spill from either would run down and back.

7. Mickster

Mickster Formula Junior

Oct 24, 2015
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Mikael Andersson
    So how did it go, Arachnyd?
    Did you find the root cause to the problem?

8. John_K_348

John_K_348 F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2013
    Boston, MA
    Full Name:
    John E. Kenney
    Is that oil in the bumper seam above?