really beat up Rolex repair | FerrariChat

really beat up Rolex repair

Discussion in 'Fine Watches, Jewelry, & Clothes' started by mikeyr, Aug 24, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. mikeyr

mikeyr Formula 3

Jun 17, 2004
    Santa Barbara, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike Rambour
    I have a very beat up ss/gold submariner that I purchased in 1988, it has NEVER been serviced and worked great until a few weeks ago, it no longer works in the morning. Basically it only works when I am awake and moving. I have worn this watch daily for 28 years now.

It is in bad shape, the bracelet is barely hanging on and badly needs to be replaced, when the watch was 2 weeks old I had a hand grinder slip out of my hand and hit the bracelet and bend a pin, that bent pin has really destroyed the link over the decades, along with normal stretching of the bracelet. I am worried about the cost of a new ss/gold bracelet. The crystal needs replacement as it has weld splatter on it, I have never taken the watch off, welding, motorcycling (dirt and street), sandblasting/grinding car parts, scuba, never off my wrist, so its in bad shape.

I was going to send it to Rolex but I know they will want to replace every little cosmetic part at high cost, I just want it to work, I am even ok with keeping the crystal since it will get more damage when I get the watch back (the bezel has held up amazingly well but has minor cosmetic damage and they would change that also). I absolutely do need a ss/gold bracelet though, I am surprised I have not lost the watch yet. I am afraid I might even need a new case if I send it to Rolex, the ears that hold the bracelet on, have worn edges from the worn bracelet rubbing on them, its not structural, perfectly safe but it is cosmetic, I assume a new case would be a killer price wise.

I was looking online and found The Watch Buyers Group in Pasadena, they seem to have good reviews and use only Rolex parts (important to me), I could save quite a bit getting the bracelet from them instead of Rolex and they seem more willing to let some cosmetic issues slide. For a repair this serious, would you send it to Rolex Service in Beverly Hills or will Watch Buyers Group be ok ?

My wife's Rolex is coming up for service, it was bought same day as mine but hers has been regularly serviced since its not been as reliable as mine, I was thinking of sending that one out to WBG and seeing how they do as a test.

I am hoping to do this in the next week or 2, I am waiting on P.O. from a client to cover this and "its in the mail" as they used to say, but I will wait until the P.O. is in my hands to start the process.

2. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Don't send it to Rolex. Send the head to ABC Watchwerks in LA. Send the bracelet to Michael Young in Hong Kong.

J.K.P likes this.
  3. Cigarzman

Cigarzman F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

You can use Gray and Son in Miami. Talk to Keith or Jose. You can use my name. I've been doing business with them for 30 plus years.

4. dsd

dsd F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2006
    Northern Virginia
    Honestly, it's an 88 Two Tone Sub.

Very easy to get parts for and repair/restore. Any competent shop can do it. Call Chris at Valencia Time (former? Sponsor).

5. Dino246gts

Dino246gts Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2006
    Check this out. And it's not a far drive from Santa Barbara.

LA WatchWorks

I would not take it to a Rolex Service Center. From what I have heard, you may be required to have more done than you want at a much higher cost.

Also, in the future, you may want to have the watch serviced more often than every 28 years.

Let us know what you decide and how it turns out, with before and after pictures.

6. mikeyr

mikeyr Formula 3

Jun 17, 2004
    Santa Barbara, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike Rambour
    Thanks for all the replies and even a few PM's. Yes, I would agree to the few people who said I have abused my watch, but to me its a tool and tools are meant to be used. Kind of like when I daily drove my 360 for 2 years, after a few months it became just a car...need steer manure ? it will fit in the 360 trunk. I did learn that I can't go up my driveway with 2 60lb. bags of softener salt in the trunk, I scraped the front end but it became just a car. Same with my watch, it became just a watch after so many years of wearing it, there were times when I was upset I had such a reliable watch because I would see people with new digital or cool watches and mine would not break and I could not justify another watch (have 2 of them already), after having my two tone sub in the safe for a few months, I took it out last Friday to go for repairs and wow, what a beauty !

Ok, so the details...I ended up taking it to ABC Watchwerks and leaving it there for service. The bracelet is financially too far gone for repair by him he said, he can do it but its not wise financially, so for the sake of getting the watch back, I am buying a aftermarket bracelet and doing the works on the watch. I will send the original bracelet to Michael Young in Hong Kong, who has already quoted a very reasonable price based on pictures I sent, then I can sell the aftermarket bracelet on ebay and be back to 100% original. It will cost me a few bucks that way but Michael Young can take a very long time to return the bracelet and I don't want to be without my watch that long.

I ended up leaving all 3 Rolex's we own at ABC Watchwerks, my wife's Rolex which was due for its service, it was about 8 years since its last service and is also her daily wear. And I had no idea my other watch was special, it was given to me by father in 1973 when I was 15 years old, I wore it daily until I got the two tone in 1988, but I was taught a lesson at ABC Watchwerks. That watch is a just a super cheap stainless Submariner purchased at de-tax at Orly airport, plain ol every day Rolex...oops apparently its a collectors item now, in pretty good original condition 5513 and I still have original boxes and paperwork for it (long gone on other watches), I ended up leaving the 5513 also for a lube job. I had not thought of posting pictures, its just a watch but I did take "before" pictures and since its been asked will post "after" pictures when i get the watch back.

Again, Thanks for the help and suggestions. I was not impressed with the location or "office" of ABC Watchwerks but I am 100% confident they will do perfect work on my watch based on many internet reviews (I know its the internet, I know) and after all, that is what is important, the work not the location.

7. dsd

dsd F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2006
    Northern Virginia
    I'm sure everything will be come out to your satisfaction. Rolex is pretty easy to work on and get parts.

My first Rolex was a 5513, too :)

8. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I think you'll find that quite a few of us here send our watches to ABC for service. Don't worry about their outward appearance; they are some of the very best in the industry.
    You'll be amazed at the magic M. Young performs.

9. Dino246gts

Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2006

As you may know ABC Watchwerks in Los Angeles had a parting of the ways and part of the group formed LA Watchworks in Pasadena. Prior to the split I had 2 watches wonderfully restored by ABC. I am interested i hearing how their work is after the split. It was a pain driving into downtown LA and parking, etc, but it was worth it. I would like to know if it would still be worth it.
    Mike, again, please let us know how your watches turn out. This is a watch thread. I think many of us may be interested in how your watches turn out with ABC.

10. mikeyr

mikeyr Formula 3

Jun 17, 2004
    Santa Barbara, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike Rambour
    great...now you tell me :) No, I didnt know, I really am not into watches and the details of getting it serviced. And now I am worried again.

I WILL show before/after pics when I get them back along with a review.

11. Dino246gts

Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2006
    Mike,
    Do not be worried. I have read good things about ABC since the split. I just wanted your experience as further confirmation. I should have worded my post differently.
    I apologize for any worry I may have caused you.

12. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Gentlemen,

For the record I thought I'd pass this along.

The 3 big names in high-end vintage Rolex service are ABC in LA, Bob Ridley in Dallas, and Rik Dietel of Time Care in Seminole, Fl.

I've been using ABC for years but 2 months ago I thought I'd try Rik at Time Care as a backup. I sent him a very common ladies Rolex 69173 for service. To be fair his turnaround was 3 weeks faster than the average turnaround from ABC. However his price was 30% higher. The watch he serviced quit working 2 months after the service. I had to pay to ship it back to him. He called last Wednesday to let me know a screw had come loose and that he had fixed it. Shipping back to me was going to be 2nd day air with the arrival being today, Tuesday.

One of the things I can't buy more of is time. I try to spend it wisely. You know it really ticks me off when people are willing to spend my time on my behalf without asking me first. Today I spent the day at the house waiting for the delivery guy. You all know where this is going.... He never showed. When I contacted Rik I got a note back saying he'd been real busy and didn't ship it.

Who knows when I'll see it. Based on my experience so far I don't have a lot of faith in the quality level to which the watch was serviced.

Obviously I'm typing this as a warning to those of you who are looking for a service. Frankly, ABC is it in my book, period.

13. mikeyr

mikeyr Formula 3

Jun 17, 2004
    Santa Barbara, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike Rambour
    well lets keep this thread going as a review on ABC Watchwerks (and others), I got 3 e-mails yesterday from them, so 3 workdays since I dropped off the 3 watches. The e-mail was updated estimates, nothing unexpected now that they opened them up and took a look inside.

Added 2 parts to my ss/gold sub for a total of $130 more than original estimate, no surprise there I actually expected more parts to be needed from this "abused" watch.

My wife's watch they added a $75 part to it again not unexpected since she has daily worn the watch for 28 years and its last service was 8 years ago.

My 5513 needs nothing but a cleaning as expected, remember it was Rolex serviced only 3 months before I got the ss/gold watch and the 5513 has been in its box the last 28 years unworn so I expected no parts needed.

Have one complaint that I spoke to Alex about and he agreed its a problem and will fix it, the 3 quotes never mentioned which watch it was for, no identifying information on which watch it was for, I had to guess and when I spoke to Alex he said its a very valid point and he will look into changing that. I guess its not a major issue for them since most people likely leave only one watch at a time. He promised the watches in time for my wife's 60th bday on Oct. 2 (actually he promised she would have hers back by then but mine should be done also).

Then when I get them back I will send the bracelet to Hong Kong, so this thread will keep going for a few months :)

14. Dino246gts

Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2006
    This all does sound very reasonable. I would also have expected more parts to need replacement with no service for 28 years. It must have been dry as a bone inside those watches. Imagine driving your Ferrari without changing/replacing the oil for 28 years. I think you are very lucky.
    Looking forward to continued updates.

15. CornersWell

CornersWell F1 Rookie

Nov 24, 2004
    Just curious...

I have a Datejust and Daytona that need servicing. How does ABC price? Flat rate or time and materials?

Also, do they service other manufacturer's watches? I see on their restoration page an IWC, but I have a number of Breguets, Girards and Pateks that also need servicing. Historically, I've sent them back to the manufacturer, but their prices have become utterly stupid, and the duration of the service is outrageous (6-months for a new crystal on a Patek? And, I'm not even going to say what it cost).

Anyway, I'd be interested in learning more about ABC. That said, I am either in the CO mountains or on the East Coast. So, LA isn't exactly a quick drive down to the corner to check in, if necessary. It seems, though, that they are good about communicating via emails. So, maybe it's worth sending the Datejust in for service and testing them out?

Thanks,

CW

16. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    If most of the posters here really knew how many watches ABC services every day I think most would be surprised. Without saying too much I'll tell you it is more than 10 a day.
    Shipping it to them is no big deal. On your DJ assuming it doesn't need any parts figure $450 to $550 for a service. Maybe another hunnie for a crystal. Unfortunately I STILL don't own a Daytona so I can't help you there.

17. CornersWell

CornersWell F1 Rookie

Nov 24, 2004
    Thanks. Seems to be in line with the normal pricing. Not far over or under.

CW

18. dfranzen

dfranzen Formula 3
    Owner

Aug 31, 2013
    Ponte Vedra Beach , FL
    Full Name:
    Don Franzen
    Ill chime in, there is a local store in Simi Valley Jewel Time

They have serviced and repaired several Rolexs for me as well as restoring other vintage watches

their advertised service is $325 and you dont have to fight LA traffic!

19. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    I have worn my Datejust for 28 years as well, and the last time I had it worked on, I sent it to Rolex factory service. They gave me a list of cosmetic items it needed that I could accept or decline. They didn't force me to do any of them, and in fact I declined almost all of them.

20. mikeyr

mikeyr Formula 3

Jun 17, 2004
    Santa Barbara, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike Rambour
    So...a review of this year old thread. I sent my watches to ABC Watchwerks and got them back and the Stainless Sub, has worked GREAT, no complaints at all. But if you remember the original post a year ago, I also have a 2-tone gold/ss watch and that band was destroyed by 30 years of wearing 24/7/365. It was suggested I send it to Micheal Young in Hong Kong by several members here. After wearing the other watch for 9 months I decided to do something or get off the pot and I sent it to Hong Kong. Got the band back this morning and OH POOP !!! its FREAKING AWESOME, dare I say even better than NEW. They laser welded the worn out stainless and also gold link, put in new pins and OH WOW, it is incredible. About 1/4" shorter now due to now stretch, I had asked for a "mild" refresh on the band and not a full polish and WOW, have I said how pleased I am yet ? WOW !. I will send my original stainless riveted band to him next week.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

21. drjohngober

drjohngober Formula 3

Jul 23, 2006
    Cville and Gbury Tex
    Full Name:
    Dr.John Gober
    Love this thread. I have a gold president where the band is stretched out. I would love to have it restored back to new. Michael Young's work looks amazing , is there anyone here in the USA that does that

22. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Not at his level. We all ship ours to him.

23. randkin

randkin Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 2, 2015
    Somis, CA
    Full Name:
    Randy
    I have to diddo your comments on Michael Young! I sent my wife's gold Rolex band for repair a year ago. It was all stretched from 30 years wear as DD. They did a GREAT job and was about 1200 - 1300, it was shorter so it needed a couple more links which were a couple hundred so whole thing was around 1500/1600. My local jeweler was shocked with the quality of the repair and cost. Not my wife wears it almost daily but does occasionally alternate with a couple others. She had given up on the vintage Rolex now a favorite again.

24. drjohngober

drjohngober Formula 3

Jul 23, 2006
    Cville and Gbury Tex
    Full Name:
    Dr.John Gober
    Thanks you. Did you send the band only or should the entire watch go so that it can be polished to match?

25. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Don't send the whole watch. If you really want it polished to match send it to ABC Watchwerks or LAWW when you get the band back,