458 Spider differences between seats (sport VS comfort) | FerrariChat

458 Spider differences between seats (sport VS comfort)

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by tekaefixe, Jul 30, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tekaefixe

tekaefixe Formula 3

May 10, 2012
    CH
    Full Name:
    Paulo
    Hi dear friends of the forum 😉

I have a few doubts that I would like you to help me clarify.

I was just surfing the web for a 458 Spider and I realized only 10% or less of the vehicles don't have sport seats (the nice looking manually operated carbon fiber ones).
    Most of the cars have the big electric ones and I would like to know why is that?
    Is it because they are more comfortable so better suited to the relaxing nature of the car ( it's a spider not a coupe) or is it because they are electric aas opposed to the manual sport seats?

I always read that actually the sport seats the the most comfortable so I do t get it. And since not even the electric ones are ventilated I'm really not guessing why the majority of the owners opt for the electric seats. Can anyone clarify?

Finally is there any difference in components between model year 2010 and 2015, is there anything I should look out for? Like upgraded DCT or roof mechanism etc...

Again thank you all so much for the help and support!

Paulo :)

Astrid.Didier likes this.
  2. United458

United458 Karting

Dec 2, 2015
    Chapel Hill, NC
    am surprised at the statistic you raise. that is a massive delta. Sport seats are much superior in terms of lateral sport (especially in taking turns at 50+ mph), do not give away anything in comfort, and look much better in my opinion. the value of having sport seats is enormous. I would hold out for however long it took to find the right 458 combination including racing seats. that is just one reason for the massive disparity in 458 pricing. unlike what is often stated re: the value of upgrades/options, option profile is massive and will likely influence aftermarket pricing in greater degrees going forward.

3. 2Veloce

2Veloce Formula Junior

Aug 8, 2014
    annapolis, maryland
    Full Name:
    Al
    Sport seats or Racing seats are a must in my mind. I think they look better and are game changer for me. The carbon fiber backing is awesome. I wouldn't buy a F car without. With that said, i think the standard seats are a bit more comfortable for me. Thats not to say the racing seats aren't comfortable, in fact they are very comfortable. I love my racing seats!.

4. Cigarzman

Cigarzman F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Funny thing is I like the Daytona seats with full electric positioning. Maybe because I'm 5'10 ish and 190 lbs. I just couldn't get comfortable in the race seats.. Also the Mrs. is 5 ft nothing she likes the adjustability too. Call me crazy. :)

430jm likes this.
  5. tobewiser

tobewiser Formula Junior

Dec 23, 2015
    Acworth, GA, USA
    #5 tobewiser, Jul 30, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    The standard or upgraded Daytona seats are okay but the CF race seats are exceptionally good, on or off the track. The standard/Daytona seats are higher, heavier, and give less driving focus. Being more comfortable is a question of the driver's body type. The CF race seats are lower, lighter, manual and look better with CF interior. They are comfortable on or off the track. Since they come in 3 sizes, small, medium, or large, one has to be careful about sizing. I am 5'6", 141 lbs, and fit very comfortably in the large seat. The lateral support is second to none. As compared to the direct competition, the McLaren 12C or 650s, the Ferrari CF seats are far better in performance and aesthetics (more detail and better design). I agree with many here that the CF race seats are a must in the 458. Electric (heated or not) seats are very overrated in sports cars - more weight, fuzzier to operate, bulky. IMHO, every component that goes into a driver focused car like the 458 deserves to have the same consideration. You won't fully feel what a 458 drives like without the CF race seats.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Having owned both I can tell you the full race seats in the 650s Mac are far superior.

But for ferrari, the cf race seats are better than Daytona in support and looks.

7. Randyslovis

Randyslovis Formula Junior

Jul 7, 2011
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Randall J Slovis
    First let me start with the easiest question you raise. The first spiders came to America in late 2012 model year. So, don't worry about model years 2010 and 2011. They don't exist. I am unaware of any changes to anything from 2013 (my year spider) through 2015 in terms of parts that matter. Meaning short of software updates that are ongoing, the cars are the same from what my uber tech at the local Ferrari dealer tells me.
    The seat issue has been beaten to death in numerous threads. I HAD the daytona option in my Italia and HAVE the race seat in my spider.
    Briefly, the daytona seat is the standard seat with just a different stitch pattern. Diamond stitch is the other optional stitching. To the standard seat (with any stitch pattern) you can add power or full power option. The latter adds inflatable bolsters and heating.
    Because it has smaller side bolsters vs the race seat, and a "flatter" bottom, it is very easy for ingress/egress. It definitely sits higher. If you are tall and any track days are planned, you may not get comfortable with how you have to recline the seat to accommodate your helmet. Weight is more, but gas in the car, your personal body weight are also variables so I doubt it means anything for performance. Despite the theoretical issue. The head rest was also an issue for me on the standard seat. Because it protrudes so much (neck safety for whiplash) I could never get the seat back in the right vertical position where I needed it and not have my head pushed forward.
    The race seat which I love still has its drawbacks. Unless you have a late model 2014 on (?) that had the adjuster, seat height is fixed. It is usually only adjustable via side bolts. It is not something done on the fly. 20-30 minutes by a trained tech. The passenger side seat is literally on the floor with no adjustments. So, passenger has legs straight out. Therefore, not ideal for really short people (due to seat height) or tall people (due to lack of angle to thigh bolster) or for any long journeys. Yes you can put a pillow under the passenger's thighs to help with comfort. Just an FYI as everyone forgets the passenger seat drawback.
    If I ever buy another F-car ( I have had 5) it will definitely have the race seat.
    Glad to hear my spider is "rare" because of this option!
    Best

DefunctNeurons likes this.
  8. tobewiser

tobewiser Formula Junior

Dec 23, 2015
    Acworth, GA, USA
    Can anyone comment on experience with wearing a helmet (on track days) in the standard seat due to the angle and size of the headrest and/or height of the electric seat?

9. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Track days in my 458 Italia coupe with Daytona seats...not good. I'm 6'1" and had to hunch down all day. Was pretty disappointed to tell the truth.

I didn't track the Speciale but seat was lower for sure.

10. tekaefixe

tekaefixe Formula 3

May 10, 2012
    CH
    Full Name:
    Paulo
    Thank you all so much for the comments and valuable insight. Also another possible reason for the comfort seats apparent choice is the fact that they can be heated and the racing seats cannot.

I was completely oblivious to the sport seats passenger problem too....I wonder what my wife will say to : hey, just sit down and don't move ahah 😄

11. Eilig

Eilig F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 31, 2001
    Full Name:
    Cavallo
    #11 Eilig, Jul 31, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2016
    I hate the standard seats in the 458 Speciale. The lumbar area has zero cushioning and hit my back at exactly the wrong spot. It gave me a backache for a week after I drove the car. I replaced them with Enzo seats in my red Speciale, and Challenge Stradale seats in my grey Speciale. Problem solved. The Enzo and CS seats are absolutely fantastic. Great lateral support. Much more cushioning than the factory Speciale seats. And they sit about an inch or so lower as well.

12. 458trofeo

458trofeo F1 Rookie

Feb 4, 2013
    City of Angels
    Full Name:
    101 aki
    +1!!! :D

13. 458trofeo

458trofeo F1 Rookie

Feb 4, 2013
    City of Angels
    Full Name:
    101 aki
    #13 458trofeo, Jul 31, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Melvok likes this.
  14. Eilig

Eilig F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 31, 2001
    Full Name:
    Cavallo
    Not enough lateral support :) :)

(You could pull 10 lateral G's and still not move in your seats!!) :)

15. 458trofeo

458trofeo F1 Rookie

Feb 4, 2013
    City of Angels
    Full Name:
    101 aki
    Ha! Don't know if I can still fit in them after 2 weeks in Italy :D

16. scarfiotti355

scarfiotti355 Karting

Mar 25, 2009
    Finland
    Full Name:
    Lodovico
    Teka,
    I have on my 2015 spider the daytona seat and I find it perfectly,class and beautiful, I find the seats Standard Daytona sports are more aligned and in adequacy with the model,despite the higher price than racing
    With a spider we driving GT and little spider make the circuit, they are very comfortable for long trips and very good support if you want a sports road.
    The racing seats are beautiful but ideal for a Speciale or Italia.Look more Race. Advise for circuit day
    The finish of the racing carbon seats decided on my choice. the rail vision on the carpet padding and low are not in agreement with such GT 458 spider
    In electric seats with full controls are cleaner and class to finish level of
    the 458 Spider.
    Nothing to do with the price as the full electric seats and daytona cost more expensive than carbon racing.
    I also understand the choice of most of the US Ferrari 458 Spider

not release because of the price but because of the design and look more in keeping with the sporty GT spider
    For spider and the statistics confirm ,I can only advise to buy a model with this standard sport Seat with or without Daytona option. Good Choise Teka

17. tobewiser

tobewiser Formula Junior

Dec 23, 2015
    Acworth, GA, USA
    less bulk in a coup with race seats.

18. 458trofeo

458trofeo F1 Rookie

Feb 4, 2013
    City of Angels
    Full Name:
    101 aki
    Absolutely right, even more so with actual bucket seats!! :)

I would say my internal cabin volume has increased at least 5% - 10%

best

19. phanliu

phanliu Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 21, 2015
    Illinois
    Full Name:
    Noel
    What would be an approximate weight difference between sport seats and the daytonas?

20. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    Do sport seats recline?

21. Rcktrod

Rcktrod F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2010
    USA
    2012 and newer model years have upgraded software, lost some of the exhaust pops and gurgles but have a 7 year free maintenance. Racing seats are more comfortable but are an added option for additional cost so that's why more have the standard seats (less comfortable and less attractive). Get the LED steering wheel!!!!

22. tekaefixe

tekaefixe Formula 3

May 10, 2012
    CH
    Full Name:
    Paulo
    Thank you all for the inputs:)
    By the way I've heard that models before have a different suspension. A bit harder. Is it like the Italia? This upgrade to the 2012 models is just software or its hardware too?

Again thank you all ;)

23. Randyslovis

Randyslovis Formula Junior

Jul 7, 2011
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Randall J Slovis
    The "race seat" as it is known has a rake adjustment. There is a knob on the bottom of the seat back for this.
    Height can only be adjusted by a dealer or a semi proficient back yard person. Later models had extra cost option of manual seat lifter.
    Passenger seat has no ability to be raised or lowered. I guess fabricating a new mounting bracket might be possible. I am not recommending nor have ever seen this done.
    Best

24. BlueIn2Red

BlueIn2Red Karting

Sep 29, 2006
    Tring, UK
    I've done this and it wasn't good. However - I tried a 458 with race seats at the same time and the height difference wasn't noticeable to me.

25. Petrolhead#32

Petrolhead#32 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 23, 2020
    NorCal
    Full Name:
    Petrolhead#32
    You mentioned they’re LOWER. Is this true, and if so, how much? The reason I ask is because, at 6’1’’, I’m sitting way too high with my Daytona seats. I bought my 458 spider about a month ago and I was surprised by this. I also drive a GT3 with sports seats (the middle between comfort and buckets) and I sit much lower.

To me this is quite important for the driving experience and if the CF race seats offer a lower seating position, I’d really want to consider them.

Thx in advance.