Livery - I don't get it | Page 4 | FerrariChat

Livery - I don't get it

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by jaa1359, Aug 25, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    The classiche stamp on the frame probably means that the frame is authentic......
    The body is a new one built in 2015 in Italy.

Marcel Massini

2. minidelta

minidelta Rookie

Jan 29, 2006
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Patrick Badot
    I am surprised by the livery of the restored 2127GT, the French colors stripes, blue, white and red are wrongly displayed, when view from the front the blue color should be on the left. The same mistake has been made when 2643GT was shown the first time after being restored (corrected by now).

3. kare

kare F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Nov 11, 2003
    #78 kare, Sep 3, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2016
    Every time I see a Classiche stamp, I think something that is suspicious or really wrong has been blessed - correct pieces do not need any additional stampings! It feels like Classiche is being run by some Russian authorities, all kinds of stampings everywhere and nobody knows what they really mean...

The bodywork is not very accurate.

lgs likes this.
  4. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    When I saw 250GT SWB Competizione 2735GT on the road near to where I lived in South Wales about 30 years ago, I immediately recognised it as a Moss' car and its greatness as a multiple race winner by its livery. To see any SWB on the road is an extremely rare thing, but to see such a successful racing example even rarer. Without the livery I may still be guessing today which SWB it was that I saw. A real racing car, as 2735GT is, should wear its race livery. I do actually like the look of the contrasting roundels, but when you see them on an actual racing car, even better. Just my opinion.

5. any_1

any_1 Formula 3

Sep 6, 2006
    Sweden
    #80 any_1, Sep 10, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  6. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ
    Staff Member Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    I'm curious, which detail do you remember from 30 years ago that makes you certain the car you saw was 2735 GT and not 2119 GT?

7. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ
    Staff Member Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    #82 El Wayne, Sep 10, 2016
    I wouldn't say he's gone through a great effort to do so, as it's still missing bumpers, missing Cavallino Rampante in the grille, has incorrect decals, wipers oriented incorrectly, headlight recesses painted incorrectly, outside mirror installed, rallye lights improperly mounted/spaced, etc.

Even so, I give him credit for making the highly unusual (and personal) choice to replicate the car's appearance at the Rallye Lyon-Charbonnières in 1967, a race this car actually failed to finish. This choice is especially unusual because the car had many first-in-class rally finishes and even competed in the more prestigious Monza 1000 km.

1) 1966 Monza 1000 km; 2) & 3) 1967 Rallye Lyon-Charbonnières; and 4) current appearance:
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

8. any_1

any_1 Formula 3

Sep 6, 2006
    Sweden
    #83 any_1, Sep 10, 2016
  9. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    #84 miurasv, Sep 11, 2016
    That's easy, Wayne. The car was without radio aerial and bumpers but with quarterlight windows, teardrop blinkers, different shape bazooka like front fenders, different shape grille, roof mounted cockpit air vent at rear, filler cap on rear left fender of course which are among the many differences between 2119GT and 2735GT.

Actually, truth is, at the time I very luckily saw this great, historic car 30 years ago near my home town I only knew it was a "Moss' car" and didn't know the differences between the two to identify it as 2735GT. I had seen one of them at a Motor Show a few years earlier, which must have been 2119GT. It was only a little while later that I discovered that it was 2735GT when the magazine Supercar Classics and author Ian Fraser featured the car and its trip to Wales with her owner Clive Beecham. I wrote about seeing this wonderful car car here: http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/vintage-thru-365-gtc4-sponsored-vintage-driving-machines/383058-best-gt-car-world-stirling-moss-250-gt-swb-berlinetta-competizione-2735gt.html ...and when I got the chance to see her again 27 years later and actually go for a long spin in her here: http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/vintage-thru-365-gtc4-sponsored-vintage-driving-machines/417703-27-years-250gt-swb-2735gt-revisited-166mm-drive-lifetime.html

pilotoCS likes this.
  10. NYC Fred

NYC Fred F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 28, 2010
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Full Name:
    Fred C
    I love seeing the old warhorses out and about.

The essence of Ferrari.

11. John Vardanian

John Vardanian F1 Rookie

Jul 1, 2004
    San Francisco Area
    Full Name:
    John Vardanian
    What a class act this publication was. Too bad...

john

12. jaa1359

jaa1359 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Jun 1, 2014
    I may not be a fan of livery, but I love the all the remarkable elements that contribute to the extraordinary uniqueness of the Ferrari brand. It all adds up to a mystique unlike any other.