Stratos induction system on 246GT | Page 6 | FerrariChat

Stratos induction system on 246GT

Discussion in '206/246' started by Pantdino, Aug 28, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
    #126 4CamGT, Aug 26, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  2. GermanDino

GermanDino F1 Rookie

Aug 14, 2007
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Matthias
    very cool.... :)
    do you have a picture with air box....

3. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
    Matthias,

Thanks! I'm in the process of fabricating the air box. We digitized the complete deck lid and induction assembly/motor before we did the install so we knew exactly the space we were dealing with. I'll email you some preview images of what I'm planning. Once I've done some testing with it, I'll share it back here. My goal was good performance, simple, non-evasive (reversible) and visually period correct.

Freeman

4. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
    #129 4CamGT, Aug 26, 2016
    For testing I installed a set of 25mm tall velocity stacks. Fits under the deck with clearance enough for air flow. I took my Dino out for a long drive. Start up is immediate w/o any choke. The sound is nirvana! Beautiful response. No hesitation in tight fast turns. No popping on deceleration. Just great consistent power throughout the rev range throughout the gears. At the end of the run, I let it sit for a few minutes to try a hot restart. No issues. I didn't even have to put my foot to the floor. No vapor lock. Air temperature was about 80 degrees. I'm a happy camper!

Freeman
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. ///Mike

///Mike F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2003
    Bugtussle
    Those carbs look great installed! Looks like a dose of steroids for the V6. Cool mod.

6. Fred Winterburn

Fred Winterburn Karting

Jan 27, 2015
    Congratulations Freeman, A modification that could have been done at the time the car was manufactured or shortly thereafter, to me is always better than a high tech modern solution. It keeps the character of the car intact and in period. In this case, because it works so well, makes your car worth even more in my opinion. It certainly does look cool too. Just a little envious, Fred

-K1- likes this.
  7. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
    #132 4CamGT, Aug 27, 2016
    Fred,

Thanks! I believe it was originally developed for the Ferrari F2 based on the Dino motor. It could also have been developed solely for the Stratos. I am curious about the development history if anyone knows.

What I can say is it's a total blast to drive!!!! I have never experienced this to this level in a Dino. It begs to be driven more aggressively. Amazing full power out of a tight turn with not a hint of hesitation! You feel in complete control between the motor, gearbox, brakes and steering. I think I have found the perfect setup for me. Your CD ignition, NOS original Marelli points distributor and the Stratos Weber IDF 40's! "Period Correct"!

I took it to our C&C today.

Freeman

8. Telaio

Telaio Karting

Jan 11, 2006
    UK
    Full Name:
    Kevin O'Rourke
    * Yes, it all fits below the stock deck! I designed a special airbox with velocity stacks of my own design that fits below the stock deck lid. The next step will be to begin testing it. I will share more As I progress. *

Does that mean your going to hide those tasty inlet trumpets ????? looks great, cheers Kev.

9. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
    Kevin,

I just sent you an email with some images. I'd appreciate your thoughts. I can't believe the difference these carbs make on the overall drivability and fun factor! I can imagine your throttle body injection is at another level again!

Freeman

10. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    nice setup! will it be at c and c again this weekend?

11. Telaio

Telaio Karting

Jan 11, 2006
    UK
    Full Name:
    Kevin O'Rourke
    My 328 injected Dino is at your full disposal any time you are in the UK ........ looking forward to sharing the experience, cheers Kev.

12. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
    Thanks Kevin!

Freeman

13. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
    Ed,

Thanks! What an amazing difference! What should have always been on the Dino! I think it could have been a successful comp car with this setup much like the Stratos. I won't drive it to C&C tomorrow. Anytime you want a ride, let me know!

Freeman

14. DinoLasse

DinoLasse Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 26, 2009
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Lars
    Hi Freeman,
    Happy to hear that you are pleased with the performance of the IDF setup. The installation looks great!

I am following all this with special interest because I am already committed to going down the same - or at least similar - road: A Dino that is being prepared for me will have IDF carburetors. (In my case, it will be the even larger 44IDFs, with slightly taller intake horns. But more about that later.)

Great to hear that you have been able to unlock some of the hidden potential in the Dino. And all that accomplished with reversible and period correct modifications that keep the vintage character of the engine. Definitely the way to go. Enjoy!
    Lars

15. NYC Fred

NYC Fred F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 28, 2010
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Full Name:
    Fred C
    Well, not the first time Enzo's been referred to in that manner...

16. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
    Lars,

I'll be interested also in hearing about your journey! With taller intake horns I imagine you'll have a raised deck lid? If you do, in my opinion it is best to use the original design lines only slightly raised. I think this can be done to where it's very difficult to see where it was modified. The IDF 40's are more than enough for a stock motor. This was the original Stratos Stradale spec.

The direction I'm steering towards is keeping the original deck lid without any modifications. I've designed an enclosed air box that is fed cold air from the original side air intake through the stock filter unit. It all fits with either a 25mm tall trumpet or a special short mushroom I designed. Testing will yield which one will be best. Of note, the original Stratos air box was extremely compact and had no trumpets inside. I want to create a ram air effect.

We've done it all digitally first by scanning everything. This allows me to problem solve every packaging issue before we even make the first mock-up. The other goal is making it non-evasive and completely reversible by using what's already there. Once I'm happy I'll share back the findings.

Freeman

17. Pantdino4

Pantdino4 Karting

Sep 17, 2015
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Jim Oddie
    Freeman,

When I got my Dino with IDFs I put it on a chassis dyno and found it was jetted too lean. So the jets were changed and it drives better. The fact that yours starts without the choke makes me wonder if it is running too rich, as cars should require some form of enriching when cold starting.

Did adding the velocity stacks change the sound at all? I think it will be difficult to make an air box that has room for stacks, has enough room for air flow into them, and still fits under the stock cover.

If you make the air box cover of Lexan you will still be able to see the stacks, but it is thicker than steel so takes up more height space.

Jim Oddie

18. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
    #143 4CamGT, Sep 3, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2016
    Jim,

I don't think it runs rich. It seems just about right. They feel nicely tuned. Just my initial feeling. My stacks are only 25mm tall. Not as tall as yours. My preliminary work shows it'll work. I want it to look Period Correct OEM. That's the goal anyway. The sound is much sportier and energized. More immediate.

Freeman

19. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    #144 swift53, Sep 3, 2016
    Racing stacks for my Alfa are 1 3/8" tall, made of fibreglass. can be made shorter and are the best design i have yet to encounter, and do they flow...

Can they be made to fit Stratos carbs? Depends on throats centers and diameter.
    The DCOE are 45mm

Regards, Alberto

20. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
    #145 4CamGT, Sep 3, 2016
    Alberto,

Yes. I've developed something similar but looks like a flat bottomed mushroom that's only 10mm tall. Idea is to create a ram effect super flow in the air box. I'm encouraged because the Stratos Stradale didn't have any air horns in its air box. I tested my Dino w/o air horns before I put on the 25mm ones. It actually ran pretty good. I'd love to try yours but much shorter.

Freeman

21. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    Freeman, love your kit! My airhorns can be recast as they are fibreglass, but would need much more to go on dimensionally.

I think I have a couple of IDF from a Fiat, unfortunately only 2, and can look at them to see if something similar but much lower could be made. First I have to find them.

There are super low nuts that would help considerably to lower the height, and the body of the stack can be made lower, or even access the carb studs through the mushroom head via holes drilled in them to reach the flange, then plug with silver RTV.

Complex but doable.

Will not be able to try anything for quite awhile, but can try something down the road. Meanwhile I will follow this thread with huge interest.

I have work coinciding, so I managed to squeeze going to Goodwood, if anybody from Dinoland are going, please let me know and we can meet.

Will also be able to go visit Facetti in Milan, and will ask him a question or two, as he is kind but does not tolerate time wasters.
    Possibly a little wine...:)

Regards, Alberto

22. cnpapa24

cnpapa24 F1 Rookie

Jan 19, 2014
    NOLA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    What a cool thread. Thanks for all of the info. I have a Stratos Stradale if anyone needs any info from the car as a reference.

23. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
    This is now getting interesting and helpful!!! Alberto, If you PM me your email, I'll send you some digital shots. A stack like yours at around 15 - 20mm high with mounting access holes drilled through the mushroom would be best. I think DCOE and IDF have the same mounting locations? cnpapa24, that would really be helpful! A shot inside the air box with the lid removed would be of value. I only have the Stratos parts catalogue with illustrations.

Freeman

24. cnpapa24

cnpapa24 F1 Rookie

Jan 19, 2014
    NOLA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Will do, Freeman. I will get out there later this week and take some photos.

Chris

25. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
    Thanks Chris! That's the great thing about this forum! Sharing and learning!

Freeman