My Door Won't Open, at all... | Page 2 | FerrariChat

My Door Won't Open, at all...

Discussion in '360/430' started by C Alexander, Mar 24, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. FerrariDublin

FerrariDublin F1 Rookie

Jun 14, 2009
    Dublin, Ireland
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Great result and thanks for posting back.

2. C Alexander

C Alexander Karting

May 9, 2013
    NY
    Full Name:
    Mr. H
    #27 C Alexander, Apr 12, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Took the dealer a week to "fix" the issue. I went in this morning to pick it up and although they fixed the lock, they returned it to me with broken parts (which they claimed were already broken before they took possession).

Since we are on the topic of doors, is anyone familiar with the bezels in the picture below? I refuse to take the car back to the same dealer so I would like to purchase them and install them myself.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. targa81

targa81 Karting

Sep 28, 2009
    I would try Ricambi or one of the exotic auto recyclers if that fails. The dealer broke that piece and gave the car back to you like that?! Reminds me why I like to do my own work.

4. English Rebel

English Rebel Formula 3

Aug 13, 2013
    Piedmont Area of NC
    Full Name:
    Alan
    If the mechanic was ham fisted then it's easy to break that part. I had to take mine off and I was very very careful. I guess the tech had a time allowance to get the job done. Still that's no excuse.
    Alan

5. C Alexander

C Alexander Karting

May 9, 2013
    NY
    Full Name:
    Mr. H
    Never going back there again. I posted a thread and found out many others had similar experiences...

In any case, I found these door handle plates on ebay for $30. The only thing is that the seller is in AUS so shipping will be an extra $70. Hopefully they won't break during shipping if they are indeed as fragile as others have suggested.

6. F-Serge

F-Serge Formula 3

Aug 3, 2004
    UAE
    Full Name:
    Serge
    Can you glue the pieces together? They don't look too badly broken, maybe some superglue and 15 mins of patient work is all that's required :)

7. 97 Spider

97 Spider Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 15, 2012
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Brian
    Did you already buy the AUS ones? I have a nice pair for sale cheap if you didn't.

8. Drestless

Drestless Formula 3

Oct 1, 2014
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Jam
    #33 Drestless, Apr 5, 2016
    Didn't mean to revive this thread but the question applies to one of the post here.

Post #13 with the picture. It stated it can be seen from the top of the door. I've been looking through the gap where the window glass is but cannot seem to find it.

Where is it exactly? Close to the exterior door handle or interior door handle or?

A photo of where to drop a tool to reach it would help. Been stuck for almost an hour now. Looking through the photo below.

Thanks guys!

9. FerrariDublin

FerrariDublin F1 Rookie

Jun 14, 2009
    Dublin, Ireland
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Take a look at this thread. It looks like you have only begun the disassembly of the inner part of the door and have a way to go before you will be able to see the lock .....

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/360-430-sponsored-yellow-compass-group/175604-360-spider-door-locking-closing-problem-3.html

The yellow material you see (pictured above) is shown in the photographs in the other thread @ #3

This job is actually not that easy to do if you've never had your door open previously.

Best of luck.

10. hessank

hessank Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2005
    Canada, Florida
    Full Name:
    Fred
    Having a 360 as well makes me a subscriber to this thread as well since its probably only a matter of time before this happens to me.

This thread reads like a tutorial so thanks for all who contributed.

Question: so what can I do to prevent this? Replace the aging cables (#5s on Ricambi diag) or try and spray lubricant into the cables to keep them greased?

Please and thanks

11. Drestless

Drestless Formula 3

Oct 1, 2014
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Jam
    #36 Drestless, Apr 6, 2016
    Thank you for the response.

I was under the impression from previous postings here that I can leave the door panel in place and simply have a tool long enough to reach the this lever from the top of the door like through the glass window gap. I guess I read it wrong.

Is it neccessary to remove the door panel / card to access this? It's due to the the silver frame in the door panel has two screws (see picture) underneath that cannot be accessed unless the door is open. I don't want to break this frame to take the door panel apart. Assuming this is the case, how do we open the door without removing the panel and breaking the silver frame?

Thanks fellow raristis!

12. FerrariDublin

FerrariDublin F1 Rookie

Jun 14, 2009
    Dublin, Ireland
    Full Name:
    Greg
    It's been quite some time since I had to do this and it's a bit vague now.

Here's my post from way back then .....

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/140565938-post14.html

My door was stuck closed when I did this but I was able to gain access from the other side of the car. .......

"Stripped the door card from inside the car. I didn't manage to remove it entirely but managed to gain enough access space to see what was going on. I guessed my problem was that experienced by others, that the cable to the external handle had seized and was interfering with the locking mechanism. I was able to identify the lock-end of the cable and bent a coat hanger to sent it down into the door behind the glass and managed to grab and pull the locking latch into correct position and bingo was able to open the door."

From recollection I got all the accessible hex-head screws out of the silver door panel (not being able to get those at the bottom of course.

I was able to lower the window. Working from outside the car I somehow managed to get the door card to un-latch from the metal frame of the door. I suspect I must have removed the main retaining nuts as detailed in Pic3 here ..... http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/137251263-post3.html

I'm sorry I can't be any more specific. Perhaps someone who has encountered this problem recently can help?

As I said before, It's pretty difficult to figure it all out if you haven't had the door cards off before.

13. FerrariDublin

FerrariDublin F1 Rookie

Jun 14, 2009
    Dublin, Ireland
    Full Name:
    Greg
    #38 FerrariDublin, Apr 6, 2016
    Actually as I read your's again and refer back to mine I'm not so sure now that the card needs to move at all.

See photo below. Can you get a coat hanger between the glass and the outer trim? I think that's where you need to access. Can you pull the yellow stuff back enough to stick a mag light down there so you have some light to see what you're doing?

14. FerrariDublin

FerrariDublin F1 Rookie

Jun 14, 2009
    Dublin, Ireland
    Full Name:
    Greg
    #39 FerrariDublin, Apr 6, 2016
  15. FerrariDublin

FerrariDublin F1 Rookie

Jun 14, 2009
    Dublin, Ireland
    Full Name:
    Greg
    #40 FerrariDublin, Apr 6, 2016
    Replace is probably the sensible thing to do. If, like me, you hate spending money you could wash it out and re-lube with one of these pressure devices. I never had a problem since but that's not to say it might get stuck again any day!

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/140565938-post14.html

16. Drestless

Drestless Formula 3

Oct 1, 2014
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Jam
    This is exactly what I'm looking for. Some tricks and know where to drop the tool or in this case a coat hanger. I assume the latch is close to the car body (outer side of window glass) and not close to the panel (inner side of the window glass)? Inquiring to make sure where to start reaching around for the latch.

Thank you!

17. Drestless

Drestless Formula 3

Oct 1, 2014
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Jam
    Sorry might be unclear.

The shorter simpler question is, do I reach on the outer side of the window or the inner side?

It sounds like a simple question; however, if the there's no space to see it's a bit difficult.

Thank you in advance guys!

18. hessank

hessank Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2005
    Canada, Florida
    Full Name:
    Fred
    Thank you Greg. I will relube.
    Thanks for the advise

19. FerrariDublin

FerrariDublin F1 Rookie

Jun 14, 2009
    Dublin, Ireland
    Full Name:
    Greg
    From my recollection you need to fish down between the outer side of the glass and the door. I do remember that I was just about able to see down to the target area. Definitely not a generous view but enough to see what I was doing.

I can't remember how that was achieved though. Perhaps by removing the outer weather shield at the top of the door / bottom of the window. Perhaps by wedging the yellow filler stuff away from the door.

You genuinely might be faster to strip off the door-card on the other door so you can see what you're dealing with.

Best of luck!

20. Drestless

Drestless Formula 3

Oct 1, 2014
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Jam
    Will definitely try the recommendations throughout the week due to I can't just focus on it and spend hours. Little by little everyday.

I'll keep this thread updated for future onlookers. Thank you guys!

21. TheRarriInMe

TheRarriInMe Karting

Jun 14, 2013
    #46 TheRarriInMe, Jun 25, 2016
    I've read all the threads about issues with doors in post #1 and have used spiderscott's excellent DIY to remove the door card to access the cables, but one question I have for those who've don't this is, How do you remove the cable end circled in blue in the pic below? Can I pull it straight out? Or do I have to use pliers to squeeze the yellow plastic behind the lever? Same question for the plastic part the white arrow points to.

I want to remove this end and apply WD40 in the sleeve to hopefully loosen the seized cable as others have done.

Any help you can provide will be appreciated.

Thanks

22. FerrariDublin

FerrariDublin F1 Rookie

Jun 14, 2009
    Dublin, Ireland
    Full Name:
    Greg
    The cable end circled blue releases when you rotate the yellow part either clockwise or anti-clockwise - I don're remember which but you'll figure it out. Go gently at it as it may be brittle and crack and then you're into DIY pain!

Once you have that released the cable end pulls straight out.

The wee white retainer just pulls straight out towards you as you look at the photograph.

Best of luck!

23. TheRarriInMe

TheRarriInMe Karting

Jun 14, 2013
    Great, I'll take it slow. Thanks for your help

24. TheRarriInMe

TheRarriInMe Karting

Jun 14, 2013
    Im working on this right now and could use a little more Fchat expertise.

I have the door card off and can access the cable end, but turning it clockwise or counter doesn't work. Can someone else chime in and tell me how you removed the yellow piece circled in blue in the pic above from the lever.

I also tried to slide the white piece that the arrow points to straight out with some force and that doesn't work, how much force should I be using?

Thanks in advance

25. FerrariDublin

FerrariDublin F1 Rookie

Jun 14, 2009
    Dublin, Ireland
    Full Name:
    Greg
    It's a long time since I did this and my memory is vague.

I can really only refer you to my post #47 above.

See here a close-up picture of the little clip you're trying to rotate. I think once you've seen this you'll see what you need to do.

14578283 CLIP - Ricambi America, Inc.

The white bit? I can only suggest getting a screwdriver in behind it and prying it out. You can use plenty of force, there's nothing to break once you position the screwdriver correctly and operate the force to push the white clip out of the retaining bracket.

Best of luck!