Anyone with Apple Car Play? | FerrariChat

Anyone with Apple Car Play?

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by MalibuGuy, Jun 10, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    #1 MalibuGuy, Jun 10, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2016
    Does anyone, 458 or 488 owner, have Apple Car Play?

Do you like it? What are the advantages or features which you find useful?

2. RickLederman

RickLederman F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2007
    Swanton Ohio
    Full Name:
    Rick Lederman
    I have CarPlay in my 2016 Cali T which was delivered October 2015.

What I don't like: :(
    I REALLY don't like that all of the separate CarPlay functions share the exact same volume level :(. That means when you have the music volume turned down and the phone rings their volume level is also way low. In fact the phone volume is significantly reduced compared to the other volume levels. I answer the phone and too often say Hello 6 times before I remember that I'm on stupid CarPlay and need to quickly turn the volume up. This part is (if you haven't guessed) stupid and terrible and the reason I recently quit using CarPlay.

CarPlay uses the iPhone nav which is TERRIBLE. The built in nav in the car displays current speed limit and far more detail than the iPhone nav app. Options in the iPhone nav app are non-existent.

When I use CarPlay and try to use another app within the phone like Waze starting the music in CarPlay causes the Waze app to disappear on the phone and music to show up. Starting Waze in the phone caused the display to change in CarPlay.

Music, often you have to start music playing from the phone as it won't start from CarPlay every time.

What I like about CarPlay: :)
    Other than the volume problem, the phone works well and the reading of texts with dictating a text is cool and quite useable.

The music display works well sometimes as it gets confused as to what is actually playing.

I actually think that CarPlay was written by the same apple team that wrote iTunes, the world's worst program, and I'd be happy to PM my real thoughts :D.

3. Tonza

Tonza Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

May 31, 2006
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Anthony
    I ordered it in my 488 Spider. I do think playing your iTunes songs through CarPlay is way better than using the Bluetooth in the car. Is it worth the absurd option price? Probably not, but it is all relative so would probably order again just to have the option of using it.

4. djantlive

djantlive Formula 3

Jun 30, 2005
    So can u use google maps for CarPlay?

When playing music, how is the sound quality different than bt? What does carplay stream thru?

5. RipVega

RipVega Karting

Jan 12, 2014
    Berkshire
    No, you can't, as yet, use Google maps. However, I do find that, limited as they are, the Apple maps are better than the Ferrari navy system.

Audio is via a wired connection, so should be better than BT, though I rarely use it.

6. 483hp

483hp Formula 3
    Owner

Aug 17, 2005
    www.fca.alberta.com
    I don't find it that useful. Third party apps outside of Internet radio are nonexistent. Replying to text messages is done by dictation and we know how accurate that can be. CarPlay reads it back to you but you have no idea how a word is spelled or capitalized. Most dictations need to be edited and there is no way to do that. It also forces you to use Apple Maps which is terrible. There are roads that have existed for 2 yrs that Apple Maps is not aware of.

I tried it for a couple of days and stopped using it.

7. good2go

good2go Formula Junior

Feb 9, 2016
    Complete opposite.

Everything in CarPlay is better for me. I have a California T 2015.

Navigation, I don't have to key in an entire address, I simply push the button on the dash and say, Siri, get me directions to "bla bla" and it does it perfectly.

Same with music, push button (left side behind steering wheel), Siri, platy the Battles. Works perfect. Phone calls, texts, everything works perfect.

The map program works much better.

I do not ever pick up my phone.

I have iPhone 6s. I also running iOS 10 beta. Waze is not a CarPlay app on my phone, so I'm not sure how you get to Waze. I know if you are running an app on phone you might have sound over the speakers, but if you switch to anything else the app is closed. I only use CarPlay apps, so I can turn on music, switch to map, switch to messages, and then back to music. App works perfectly.

8. RickLederman

RickLederman F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2007
    Swanton Ohio
    Full Name:
    Rick Lederman
    Waze is an app in my iPhone. It is used only to spot debris on the road, or police, miles in advance of actually running into the debris or police. It woke me up the other day on I69 in Michigan because of a truck tire all over the place. It is a handy app.

9. good2go

good2go Formula Junior

Feb 9, 2016
    What iOS are you using.

My text messages are almost perfect. Also the speed at which it communicates with you is much better than other hands free messaging.

You can only use apps that are CarPlay enabled. Music - Spotify is available. I have 40 gigs of music on my phone so I use what I have. Has all the music art, nice, I can simple request an artist or a album, works great. Apple maps is better on CarPlay then the phone.

In a car you have: Phone, Messaging, Maps and Music. I personally think CarPlay in my Ferrari is better then the Ferrari interface in all four areas.

I have an iPhone 6s running iOS10 (beta).

10. good2go

good2go Formula Junior

Feb 9, 2016
    Waze is on iPhone, but its not a CarPlay app. At least it wasn't last time I looked. Some apps will use the speakers but they are not actually running in CarPlay.

I have not use Waze for police. Is there anything I need to do? Run it, or is it on all the time? I'm new to Waze. I have not used much because it does not support carplay.

11. 483hp

483hp Formula 3
    Owner

Aug 17, 2005
    www.fca.alberta.com
    I'm on the latest version 9.3.5. I also dictate long messages with a lot of jargon. If it's for short messages in common English it gets it right most of the time. However, there are synonyms or names with multiple spellings like Bryan and Brian where this interface design will never work well. You have no idea how it is spelling certain words when it says it back to you. I once dictated Jason and it spelled it Jayson. How it got that spelling is a mystery to me.

12. PhantomCypher

PhantomCypher Formula Junior

May 25, 2014
    USA
    I use AppleCar Play on a daily basis on my 2015 FF.

The Good:

You can engage Siri but simply pressing the little button between the volume rocker on the back left-hand side of the steering.

Applications have smooth transitions in and out. The interface is super clean and really works when you play around with it. Destinations are super duper easy to enter and you can just dictate it to Siri and she'll try to get the best approximation of what you just said.

Phone pipes right through the speaker system and there's 0 delay unlike bluetooth audio streaming.

So Rick has a point, it does flip apps needlessly when you go to your music for example (SoundCloud for me) and then I need to manually flip back to the Navigation. Now Apple thought about this and integrated a small button on the top left-hand corner to quickly return to the Navigation screen.

Furthermore, the navigation slides down as a notification shade and lets you know about turns coming up, merges, etc. so even if you're not in Navigation mode you're still getting the queues along with the voice guidance.

Here's where it sucks:

I listen to a LOT of SiriusXM radio. Apple Maps will unceremoniously interrupt by muting whatever I'm listening to in order to give voice guidance. This contrasts with if you're streaming something from your phone it'll lower the volume to play the voice guidance instead of totally cutting it off.

Also to get access to Radio or anything else you have to completely exit Car Play but hitting the "Ferrari" app and then pressing the Apple CarPlay button to return to Apple world. I find myself frequently doing this...

It sometimes lags when you engage Siri but not often. Siri is EXTREMELY sensitive to drops in cellular data so sometimes you have her and sometimes you don't.

The application library is very limited. Apps like Google Maps, Waze, SoundCloud, etc. do NOT have Car Play compatible applications so you're stuck with a half-baked or unbaked experience when it comes to these apps.

I believe this is the list of apps currently compatible:

Podcasts
    Audiobooks
    iHeartRadio
    At Bat
    Spotify
    Stitcher
    CBS Radio
    Overcast
    Audiobooks.com
    Audible
    Pandora