330 GTC antenna help | FerrariChat

330 GTC antenna help

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by ODK, Jun 27, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ODK

ODK Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 10, 2014
    Los Angeles
    I am having trouble locating an antenna that will fit on a 330 GTC. All of the ones that I looked at are too long from underside of the mount to trunk floor. Maybe I am missing an obvious answer, any help would be greatly appreciated.

ODK

2. Bob Zambelli

Bob Zambelli F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Manning, SC
    Full Name:
    Robert G. Zambelli
    I installed a power antenna years ago.
    I had to modify the fender well and create a fiberglass pocket.
    Bob Z.

3. ODK

ODK Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 10, 2014
    Los Angeles
    i would prefer to not modify my car...does anybody use an antenna that doesn't require modifications...

4. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    It might be helpful if you elaborate with more details. Are you trying to find a manual or power antenna ? Just any or concourse correct OEM type ? Does the car have existing hole on the body for it ? If yes, what happened to one that was there before ? Etc...

5. johngtc

johngtc Formula Junior
    Owner

Mar 4, 2005
    Yorkshire, UK
    Full Name:
    John Gould
    A number of European cars were fitted with whip aerials when new, mounted centrally on the front of the roof, just above the windscreen. I'm not sure whether these were ever used in the USA or indeed whether they give sufficiently good reception for your radio transmitters.

John

6. ODK

ODK Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 10, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Old antenna is a power one..it is mounted about a quarter of the way down on drivers rear quarter...the old one died is black and awful and doesn't go up and down...I would like something that looks correct...what is concourse? Sorry for the lack of details...

7. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant
    Do you have the original bill of sale for the car?
    In the UK mine listed that it had a power aerial [ on a Daytona] as an extra. So yours also might tell you what it was.

What is Concours, I like that, but Just in case you were not joking
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Concours_d%27Elegance

8. ODK

ODK Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 10, 2014
    Los Angeles
    @wheels1...I meant what antenna is considered concourse...thanks for the tip though.

9. machineryhill

machineryhill Karting

Nov 11, 2011
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Dan
    #9 machineryhill, Jun 29, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I believe a period Hirschmann unit would be correct. I've seen both automatic and manual telescoping antennae made by Hirschmann in GTCs.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

10. ODK

ODK Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 10, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Thank you...will start looking...appreciate the help.

11. tantumaude

tantumaude Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2016
    Burlington, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mat
    That looks almost identical to the antennae (also Hirschmann) used on old BMWs. My old E30 had one, as did an E3 I saw. I'd give that a shot.

12. ODK

ODK Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 10, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Thanks guys...and the hunt begins.

ODK

13. machineryhill

machineryhill Karting

Nov 11, 2011
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Dan
    Yep, Hirschmann, Becker and Blaupunkt all very nice German equipment of that time. I believe the radios were options installed by the Ferrari dealer after import so probably variations on the installation method and parts used were subject to the wishes of the buyer and dealers.

The Hirschmann automatic antenna in the previous photo fits the 330 GTC without any modification to the car or antenna. Replacement telescoping masts can still be purchased new.

14. wmuno

wmuno Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 24, 2007
    Wilmette, Illinois
    Full Name:
    Bill Muno
    I went "old school" and installed a vintage Blaupunkt stick antenna. No clearance problems below with this option.

15. Simon1965

Simon1965 Formula Junior

Feb 8, 2011
    HKSAR
    Full Name:
    Simon
    #15 Simon1965, Sep 6, 2016
    John that's what's fitted to my 330 2+2. Were they fitted by the dealer? I had been labouring under the apparent misapprehension that mine wasn't period as hadn't seen any others with that set up. Do you have photos of any ? Here is mine

16. johngtc

johngtc Formula Junior
    Owner

Mar 4, 2005
    Yorkshire, UK
    Full Name:
    John Gould
    Simon

My 330 GTC does not have a radio and I believe that at that time these were dealer fitments. I don't have a photo to hand but I am sure that the 365 GTC 'Autocar' tested back in 1969 was so fitted (my magazines are somewhere in the loft!).

I was a teenage Ferrari spotter when these cars were new and while not every one had a whip ariel, they were not uncommon in the UK. I well recall that Duncan Hamilton had a red 250 GTE (5 UPB) which had two, one on each side of the roof!

John

17. Simon1965

Simon1965 Formula Junior

Feb 8, 2011
    HKSAR
    Full Name:
    Simon
    #17 Simon1965, Sep 12, 2016
    Interesting that you mention 2 roof arials take a look at this lot from Revival Auction

https://www.bonhams.com/auctions/23595/lot/177/?category=list

And this photo from the catalogue. 2 roof arials that were "connected to the first owners hearing aid????"