Ferrari 0396 AM or 0398TF reason he | FerrariChat

Ferrari 0396 AM or 0398TF reason he

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by tongascrew, Sep 4, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tongascrew

tongascrew F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2006
    tewksbury
    Full Name:
    george burgess
    I am up dating my files and in the file for 0398TF I have a copy of an ad from the Road & Track issue of October 1978 for what is said to be for the Gonzales-Trintignant 1954 Le Mans winning 375 Plus Ferrari being for sale in Buenos Aires, Argentina by an Ernesto Dillon. No sn is given in the ad for this car but I have identified the fuzzy photo as 0398 TF. not 0396 LM.I am sure this was a scam if, for no other reason, Mr Dillon gives a telephone # of 744 6413 but no long distant area code # for Argentina or Buenos Aires. Ok it's a scam but the other thing is that the Barchetta page for 0398TF dated 3/20/2007 has been removed along with any further Ferrari info from the internet.Fortunately in my file for 0398TF I have a copy of the Barchetta page dated which 3/20/20from07. Also almost every reference to 0398TF has been removed from the file. Now there is only reference is to various medical issues and other unrelated chit chat not at all related to Ferrari in any way.My file contains 15 pages of text and photos of info on 0398TF from 2009 including a three page article of text in French with photos from the Ralph Lauren collection in the Musee des Arts Decoratifs, Paris from April 28-August 28 2011. I have a feeling there is more to this story so if anyone would like to expand on this please do. Thanks, tonga's crew

2. Cris Bertschi

Cris Bertschi Formula Junior

Mar 3, 2005
    Buenos Aires
    Full Name:
    Cristián Bertschi
    Dillon made two mistakes.
    1. He though his car was the LM car.
    2. Published the short version of his telephone number.

Nothing else.

Have no idea about barchetta.cc

s/n is 0398AM why TF?

Regards.
    Cris.-

3. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ
    Staff Member Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    #3 El Wayne, Sep 4, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    And mistakes like this get passed along. Hemmings Motor News, August 1983:
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. Admiral Goodwrench

Admiral Goodwrench Formula Junior

Mar 2, 2005
    Santa Fe, New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Robert Phillips
    Slightly off topic, but of course 0396AM was the 1954 LeMans winner. Following the Jack McAfee crash in the 1954 Carrera Panamericana and during the rebuild at the factory, the 0396AM steering box serial 31 was installed in my car as it was being newly assembled and resides there today.

Best regards,

Robert

5. Cris Bertschi

Cris Bertschi Formula Junior

Mar 3, 2005
    Buenos Aires
    Full Name:
    Cristián Bertschi
    The mistake about which car drove Froilán González to victory at Le Mans comes from González himself.
    I had many conversations with him, and he was a racing driver.
    He, as many other drivers, didn't care about serial numbers.
    So it was very common for him to say: "this is the car I drove at..." and here it comes.
    When this gets to the ears of an owner, with no other than good intentions, it gets instantly carved in stone.
    We all know which car is which, so let's give an end to this chain of inaccuracies.
    Regards.
    Cris.-

6. Aardy

Aardy F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Feb 21, 2004
    France
    Full Name:
    Cyril TESTE
    Funny : Maurice Trintignant thought the Bardinon'car was not the one in which he won the 1954 Le Mans 24 Hours...

7. tongascrew

tongascrew F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2006
    tewksbury
    Full Name:
    george burgess
    Unless you know more about Mr Dillon, I think this still smells funny. And why and by whom has all the info about this car been removed from the web site?.I have 1184 files I am updating and am about a quarter of the way thru after three months of work. I am glad I went the old fashioned way and have every thing on paper. Considering the hacking going on and the horror shows being reported and the stuff being lost in the "cloud", I will still stay with paper. I have the fire extinguisher ready. tonga's crew

8. tongascrew

tongascrew F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2006
    tewksbury
    Full Name:
    george burgess
    I have always wondered about this pairing of drivers in the 1954 L.M. winning Ferrari.Neither spoke the other's language or English or for that matter Italian. All part of the unique fashion of the "Golden Years". Best tonga'screw

9. Tom Roland

Tom Roland Formula Junior

Feb 14, 2006
    Considering what happened to the car after Le Mans, during the Carrera and after its restoration for the Mas du Clos Collection, I would not blame Trintignant not to recognize his Le Mans mount.

10. Aardy

Aardy F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Feb 21, 2004
    France
    Full Name:
    Cyril TESTE
    You are absolutely right but I remember Maurice Trintignant was talking about serial numbers swaps at the factory. But unverifiable anyway.

11. tongascrew

tongascrew F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2006
    tewksbury
    Full Name:
    george burgess
    One of my real favorites of the period. Except for a short contract with Ferrari he was basicaly an independent for hire. He was compeditive in every thing from the early post WWII Gordinis to the fastest Ferraris. Front or mid engine, sports or GP, track or rally he could do it all and his services were in constant demand by the best teams. His two wins at Monaco in entirely different cars and his LeMans victory in 1954 with Gonzalez ( neither spoke the other's language) were just the tip of the iceburg. And unlike so many drivers of the period he survived. If you are not familiar with M.T. look up his bio.It's very impressive and his popularity in the rarefied atmosphere of the very best of motor racing is as impressive as his driving. tonga's crew

12. tongascrew

tongascrew F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2006
    tewksbury
    Full Name:
    george burgess
    To the likes of Gonzales , Trintgnant and all the other great drivers for hire of the period chassis numbers were for the most part at the bottom of the list of priorities. Drivers were assigned different cars continuously by race managers who usually also picked the driver parings and drivers were allowed to be changed before and even during an event.The most well known was when Collins volunteered to hand over his Ferrari to Fangio at Monza to guarantee Fangio his 5th world championship. There were partnerships such as Phil Hill and Oliver Genbebien at a number of important events, and not just LeMans, but this, for the most part, was the exception.The big difference between the two was Hill was by far the superior in F 1. The days are long gone when to be the very best, a driver had to be successful driving any type of car in every type of event. Yes, those were the Golden Years and so the title of my collection. tonga's crew

13. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    Make it shorter and more easy:
    any race driver of the 50s was interested in 2 things only:
    - where is my car?
    - can I win in it?

Period.

Ciao!
    Walter