Red slow down light at cold start | FerrariChat

Red slow down light at cold start

Discussion in '360/430' started by Rody1992, Sep 6, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Rody1992

Rody1992 Rookie

Aug 20, 2016
    Las Vegas
    #1 Rody1992, Sep 6, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I've had my 2005 430 coupe for a few weeks and just had something quite odd happen.
    Went to start the car after it has been sitting for 3 days and I got a red slow down light on the dash and the car almost seemed to be slightly revving between 0-1k rpm. Turned off and restarted and have no issues but now check engine light is on . Any ideas ?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Rody1992

Rody1992 Rookie

Aug 20, 2016
    Las Vegas
    Also can someone point me to the diy headliner post or is it useless to try ? Mine came down

3. GDVBR8N

GDVBR8N Rookie

Apr 24, 2013
    Milwaukee< WI
    Full Name:
    Robert H. Blondis
    I have the same problem with my 360. Every time I start the car cold, the Slow Down light goes on. The car runs fine, but the Slow Down light does not go out till the water temp gauge shows about 150 or so. Does anyone know the fix?

4. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    #4 mike32, Sep 7, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2016
    The 430 is very sensitive to the battery state of charge, did you have the charger on for the 3 days it was standing ?
    Sometimes it starts but it does not sound right, in that it is not running on all cylinders. It will put up an alarm , if you switch it off and restart it, you find it is fine.
    How old is the battery ? Other thing to check is the resistance of the battery cables from the battery terminals to the main power connectors behind the seat. With engine and ignition off, put a meter between the negative on battery and an earth point behind seat, do the same on the positive, battery terminal to the big red connection behind seat. Resistance of the 2 cables should be similar. If the resistance of the negative is a lot more than the positive, then get the earth connections to the bodywork remade.
    The red cable behind the seat then goes to the starter motor and the alternator-check the cleanness of the connections..
    Not really sure about the 0-1k revs ? What i put above usually gives a lower than normal tickover rpm if you have a funny start

To clear the engine check light you can either switch off the power using the switch in the front luggage compartment, u need a T40 tork wrench or you can disconnect the battery for a couple of minutes.

5. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    Slow down light when car is cold = bad thermocouple or more likely bad "vesicovini" box. simply replace on the affected side and should go away.

6. Hedgie

Hedgie Rookie

Aug 6, 2012
    This is exactly what happened to me and how the problem was fixed.

7. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    What is a vesicovini box ?

8. Bob in Texas

Bob in Texas F1 Rookie

Apr 23, 2012
    Just East of Weird
    Full Name:
    Bob
    The environmental control units (2) (for the CAT's) located under the side drip panels. On my 360 I had the slow down light on startup. It couldn't possibly be the CATS since they were stone cold. This was an indication to FoA that it was an ECU. I had both replaced and the problem went away. Not sure it's your exact issue but the symptoms were the same.

9. LorenzoR

LorenzoR F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

I had this problem on my 355. I know its a different car but it was the cat ECU,S. I replaced both sides while I was at it. Issue all gone

10. Drestless

Drestless Formula 3

Oct 1, 2014
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Jam
    A quick solution would be to drive the car more often since it only happens after it sits. ;)

I maybe wrong but if there's anything about Cats and ECU an ODB2 scanner would be a good start to know where to look first.

11. HIO Silver

HIO Silver Formula Junior

Mar 12, 2016
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Alonso C.
    That happened to me a couple of times.

Allow the system checks to complete before cranking.

If all else fails, reset the ECU.

12. Shinigami

Shinigami Formula Junior
    Owner

Aug 2, 2005
    Gland Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Heikki
    Funnily enough, I had this very issue yesterday. SLOW DOWN appeared a minute before I arrived at my customer, and appeared again 2 hours later when I started the car up again (from cold). Then went away a few minutes later.

Drove to the dealer, and 2 hours later I was back on the road. They replaced an ECU/box thingie and showed me why. One of the connector parts was cracked... Apparently a known problem for them, and the reason why they have several replacement parts in stock.