accident on 84 | FerrariChat

accident on 84

Discussion in 'California & Nevada (Northern)' started by SCEye, Sep 8, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. SCEye

SCEye F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2009
    Norcal - Peninsula
  2. SonomaRik

SonomaRik F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2006
    Sonoma, CA
    heard & read that. Where could one rent a Ferrari in SF area?

3. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    #3 paulchua, Sep 8, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2016
  4. LBBP

LBBP Formula Junior

"........adding that the driver was traveling in a pack of other exotic sports cars".

I'm betting the CHP will be investigating further, especially if speeding is determined as the primary factor.

5. mrmichaelrsmith@gmail.com

BANNED

Nov 29, 2009
    Sacramento
    Full Name:
    Michael Smith
    May he rest in peace, thoughts and prayers go out to his loved ones.

6. Il Tifoso

Il Tifoso Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2013
    SF Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Ruben
    #6 Il Tifoso, Sep 8, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2016
    Sad indeed... RIP and condolences to family. Although speed hasn't been confirmed as a possible cause, I'm always amazed at how fast folks drive through those roads, despite narrow roads, traffic, and cyclists sharing the road.

I wonder if this may have been via Club Sportiva (https://www.clubsportiva.com/) ? They have an exotic car rental service as well as an "experience" service where you get to sample various exotics on a drive.

A friend did one of their "experience" rides which goes exactly through these roads - although he had a good time, it sounded like a recipe for disaster to me: a group of powerful exotic cars being driven at a high rate of speed (usually way above the speed limit) by folks not used to driving them, all following each other closely in a pack.

As someone who enjoys both driving and cycling on these roads, please be safe out there folks!

Cheers,

Ruben

7. natman316

natman316 Formula Junior

Jul 20, 2015
    damn we drive this road alot. I bet the cops will start beefing up patrol here now.

condolences to those affected.

8. lukek

lukek Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2003
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    LK
    i have stopped doing most of the group rides. Unless it is organized by the classic / vintage old foggies or the FCA....the speed is usually beyond my comfort zone on the private rides, particularly on narrow mountain roads with bicycles. I will still show up at the track and the drives that allow for more separation and with a route, but my aversion to risk has gone up.

I hope the people affected here find some peace.

9. SVCalifornia

SVCalifornia Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 28, 2011
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Keith
  10. Spiderguy

Spiderguy Formula Junior

May 21, 2006
    Full Name:
    Harry J
  11. SonomaRik

SonomaRik F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2006
    Sonoma, CA
    If he was driving with a pack of 'other exotic' cars why is the CHP asking for witnesses? Wouldn't the other members have been near him and been somewhat involved? or were they the leaders and didn't see him missing until they stopped.

12. Kaivball

Kaivball Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2007
    Kalifornia
    Terrible news.

Right in our backyard.

Kai

13. djantlive

djantlive Formula 3

Jun 30, 2005
    My guess is CHP is looking for witness that will incriminate the drivers involved.

The group leader needs to be held accountable. There have been too many incidents.

14. HMB-Dino

HMB-Dino Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 28, 2010
    Pebble Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    RonG
    I commuted on that section of road from San Gregorio to 280 for several years and used it on weekends when I had errands in the valley (avoiding the inevitable gridlock on 92). It never ceased to amaze me how many idiot motorcycle and car drivers used that road as their personal playground, often crossing the centerline...even on blind curves! All it takes is an idiot doing something like that with an innocent driver coming in the opposite direction at the wrong time. And there are numerous spots along that road where there's no room to escape from such antics. The Woodside side of Skyline doesn't allow for fast speeds because of its more numerous and tighter twisties. Not so for the La Honda side where going (too) fast is too easy.

I know this sounds terrible, but I hope this tragic accident was caused by the person killed being stupid rather than one of those idiot drivers causing this person to wreck. My condolences to all those affected directly and indirectly.

15. Centauro

Centauro Rookie

Jan 29, 2013
    Yosemite
    Full Name:
    Gerd
    if you want to go fast, go to a race track and not on public roads.

16. islandguy

islandguy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Northern CA & NV
    That's one of those roads that I like taking it easy on while enjoying the view and canopies, as it's too dangerous for anything else. I recall once being passed by a Silverado. It's those crossing the center line in a turn while I'm going west up the hill that scare me the most.