Major Failure - F355 broken prop shaft | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Major Failure - F355 broken prop shaft

Discussion in '348/355' started by Fredmec00, Apr 11, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. st4rk

st4rk Formula Junior
    BANNED

Dec 7, 2011
    Yep!

2. SoCal1

SoCal1 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 14, 2011
    SoCal LA/OC/New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Tim Dee
    I would like to know who makes them for you to see what cost is

3. phrogs

phrogs F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 13, 2004
    Michigan
    Invougjt a 355 like this, then i have seen a hand full of issuues of these breaking.

Very rare in my opinion. Thats why you have never seen one.

4. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    The shaft needs to be hard for wear. Needless to say it must be tough. Toughness, and hardness for wear is a balancing act. Too hard = too brittle. The right balance of hardness for wear and toughness is required.

Based on the fracture, my guy tells me the hardness is over 50 Rc. That's dangerous depending on material. 45 Rc is likely the better option.

5. phrogs

phrogs F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 13, 2004
    Michigan
    Dave incoukd send you a broken one for testing

6. m.stojanovic

m.stojanovic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2011
    Malaysia - KL
    Full Name:
    Miroljub Stojanovic
    Do you have dual mass or solid flywheel?

7. Fredmec00

Fredmec00 Rookie

Apr 11, 2016
    Brazil
    Full Name:
    Frederico Oliveira
    Stock, dual mass. The seals are intact and grease in place I have not phisically checked myself as I am on a business trip for the hole month. The workshop garantees the flywheel dampening system is fine and there is no need to refurbish

8. jmnov

jmnov Karting

Mar 15, 2009
    Lausanne
    My car has the same failure:
    had to drive a few miles with 4 cyl, and then when starting on 1st gear the prop shaft broke...

First thing to investigate is why it works on 4 cyl (only after heavy rain, might an electrical problem)...

9. Fredmec00

Fredmec00 Rookie

Apr 11, 2016
    Brazil
    Full Name:
    Frederico Oliveira
    Mine was an intermittent failure in one of the fuel pumps. Expensive fix this prop shaft and hard to get your hands in one.

I used this opportunity to change clutch as it was reverse-slipping (rpm drop) when half of the engine would loose power in high gear. I have a video on it.

You will have to drop the gearbox to replace the shaft. before reassembling, it is also a good idea to balance the assembly clutch/flywheel/damper. It is a good practice, as such parts spins up to 8 000 rpm

Keep sharing what you find, so other member dont have to go throught the same!
    Good luck!
    Fred

10. jmnov

jmnov Karting

Mar 15, 2009
    Lausanne
    I think I will go for the shaft made by Formula GT in Germany, maybe to change the flywheel in the same time...

11. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Will require further diagnosis, but one common cause is failure in the catalyst protection circuit. If the catalyst ECU fails, or acts up, it will shut down one bank. This is what it is supposed to do if it detects an overheat situation with one of the catalysts. Instead, this system is fraught with failures, and the causes inadvertent shutdowns of one bank when not actually required.

Determine which bank is shutting down, and swap the catalyst ecus and see of the problem moves to the other bank.

Another cause can be the catalyst thermoprobes can fail. But start with the catalyst ECUs...a known weak point.

12. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Can't be the problem. Internet experts here say these cars are perfect in the rain.

13. 97 Spider

97 Spider Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 15, 2012
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Brian
    Yes, of course this is how the BS about these cars starts. 1 car out of a 1000 has an issue that MIGHT be attributed to something getting wet and the 999 owners that never have an issue are all wrong and the cars should never be driven in the rain or even washed with water.

14. phrogs

phrogs F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 13, 2004
    Michigan
    They shouldnt have any issues driving in the rain.

They came with wipers.

15. vvassallo

vvassallo F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2006
    Palos Verdes
    Full Name:
    Vince V
    Hey, I wondered what those floppy rubber things were! Mine are new and never used. I replace them only for the aesthetics and appearance. I assume they function, but I won't tempt fate.

16. 97spiderman

97spiderman Karting

Dec 15, 2008
    Sunny Buffalo, NY
    Full Name:
    JohnAG
    I suppose a plus within this story is, our 5 valve engines have enough power to snap (shear) these prop shafts. Now thats some powa

17. jmnov

jmnov Karting

Mar 15, 2009
    Lausanne
    Some news about my broken shaft:

Bought the one from Germany (Formula GT), looks much better than OEM my mechanic says, should not break again!
    Installed and now he just need to change to spark plugs connectors and I'll have my car back on the road!

18. Jackie and bill

Jackie and bill Formula Junior

Nov 29, 2014
    GB
    Full Name:
    William
    So your bran new shaft looks better than your broken remains of your old shaft? Not much gets past your mechanic:D

19. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    Good one ha ha.

20. Jon Von Bon

Jon Von Bon Formula 3
    BANNED

Feb 8, 2015
    Toronto / Florida
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Great Marius. thanks for the link.

Gives me an excuse to get to Frankfurt and take my monster back to Bavaria!

21. Culprit

Culprit Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 4, 2011
    Santa Ana, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian
    so next time when you're having severe engine trouble let's not rev it to 7000rpm

22. vlamgat

vlamgat Formula Junior

Jan 9, 2004
    My shaft just broke too and in the interests of getting ready for the Maranello Cup at VIR next week I am fitting a used one. Formula GT does not have these listed on the link we are using in this thread so do you happen to know if they still sell this product.

My shear was in the same place and also caused by rough running. An intermittent misfire between 7300 and 7800 rpm that has been around for some time. We have tried everything to sure including replacement of crank and at least 2 rebuilds. The car is a CH model and is only used for racing. No cruising, DE, or display.

23. Markphd

Markphd Formula Junior

Mar 10, 2012
    If they don't still sell these, it appears that secret sauce is to anneal the last inch of the shaft closest to the clutch in order to make the shaft less susceptible to work hardening and snapping. Whether it is fully annealed or what the final hardness that results in the best outcome is unknown, but at least you have a direction to experiment in.

Good luck

24. HCF-John

HCF-John Rookie

Jan 30, 2018
    Full Name:
    John B
    It doesn't look like they do anymore. Does anyone know if there are other sources for these?

Mark - if it's anything like the Testarossa prop shafts, if you make them stronger you move what gets damaged from one highly expensive shaft (prop) to an outrageously expensive one (main)!!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Best,
    John

25. steved033

steved033 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 12, 2017
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Steve D.
    I like forumla GT's fancy clutch and flywheel parts. Man, those are sweet.

sjd