What car should I get for a daily driver? | FerrariChat

What car should I get for a daily driver?

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by arachnyd, Sep 25, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. arachnyd

arachnyd Karting

Feb 5, 2016
    Springboro
    I'm having a hard time coming up with which car to drive as a daily driver. My requirements are simple. No torque converter, 4 doors with enough space for a 6'9" driver and someone behind them, and some basic luxury.

I've narrowed it down to a used panamera, older quattroporte, a Mazda 6 with $10+k in luxury esque mods, a new Chevrolet SS, or a several year old BMW 540i. By narrow down I mean I can't find anything else that meets the requirements.

Here's what Keeps going through my head... "Like the panamera... But for $20k less I can get the quattroporte and have plenty of money for repairs/maintenance, but the quattroporte is a maintenance nightmare"

I've read the forums and people hammer the Maserati for maintenance, but it can't be worse than the Ferrari... I'm a cash buyer so if I spend $20k less, I'll have that cash available. I can't find the SS I want used, so I'd have to buy new. The SS on paper is great, but it just doesn't excite me at all. No emotional attachment. My wife loves BMWs but I had a three series years ago and hated it. Our local BMW dealer is the worst dealer i ever used. I don't want to waste money, but none of the cars should put me in a bind.

I love my daily now but it's coming to the end of its life. It's a loaded 6 SPD Cadillac CTS ST Performance. Wish they didn't discontinue it in 2010, plus it's a little small.

My wife has a 6 SPD Cayenne and we've been pretty pleased with it. I also have an f350, a jeep wrangler, and the ferrari 360.

2. Perfusion

Perfusion F1 Rookie

Oct 16, 2004
    Marietta, GA
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    I believe Lexus has just (this model year, anyway) released a GS-F. That's not a GS350 in F-sport trim (akin to a BMW with an "M Appearance Package"), but rather a completely different car (a la AMG MBz). I never thought I'd own a Lexus, but after buying my first back in 2013 for my DD, it's hard to imagine going elsewhere now.

3. tervuren

tervuren Formula 3

Apr 30, 2006
    #3 tervuren, Sep 25, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2016
    The Maserati is an inferior car to the Porsche. The Panamera is an amazing automobile. The problem - its Porsche, and for the past 17 years they've been very shoddy in how they handle warranties, design defects, etc. If you drive the Maser and Porsche back to back, it will be pretty clear. That said, the large oversized stitching in the Maserati harks back to rough older days of non precision manufacturing, and it does bring a certain appeal to a smaller set of people.

Definitely stay away from the slushbox, I thought I could live with a nice modern slushbox when I got my Jaguar XK, but the lag with RPM out and and RPM in brings a touch of disconnected feel to driving.

4. carguyjohn350

carguyjohn350 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 7, 2007
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    John P
    #4 carguyjohn350, Sep 25, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2016
    Last gen CTS-V with a manual 6 speed. Can be had as sedan, or even wagon (if you look hard). To me the SS would be a good answer as well.

Edit: saw this in bat ;)
    http://bringatrailer.com/listing/1999-bmw-528it/

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

5. arachnyd

arachnyd Karting

Feb 5, 2016
    Springboro
    Thanks for the suggestion. My wife has always loved Lexus. They seem to have a great dealer network that backs up their products too, so I would not be opposed to going wit ha Lexus.

The GS unfortunately is a little tight. My cadillac's too tight and the GS loses several inches in rear legroom. It also looks like it comes only with a slushbox.

I appreciate your thoughts!

If I went with the Maser, I'd have to go back to the duoselect. I know thats not a popular transmission, but I don't mind it (Long story short, I actually bought a Maserati Quattroporte years ago and the car was stolen between inspection/prep but before I even got it from the dealership... it was a very weird situation. I did get my money back). I am very pleased with the Panamera across the board. the only thing I don't like is the manual shifting controls (like the Maser better for that), but the PDK is a pretty nice transmission. I also feel like they are well designed but have very little respect for VW- Not because of the emissions stuff, but for the type of thing you are referencing. I think VW cuts a lot more corners than Porsche does, but I just don't trust Porsche for some reason. The Cayenne has treated us pretty well except for parts shared with the tiguan. We had some fuel system issues. I also am wary of their turbos. I'm targetting the Panamera S or 4S with the 4.8L V8...

Thanks for your thoughts. I actually test drove a Jag XF. I know thats not as nice as the XK. It felt to me like it had the problem cadillac had- Technically it was great by the numbers, it looked great, just the engine/transmission didn't seem well refined/tuned together.

that is a very interesting build! Not sure I'd want that as a DD, but it seems like they did it right!

The problem with the last gen CTS is its a hair too small. I have 4" between the back of the seat and the front of the rear seats, so even my youngest complains about leg room, so we end up driving the truck or my wife's car anytime we are going further than school. I seriously considered the CTS-V though, although frankly I'm 100% happy with the ST Performance. Sure it doesn't have the HP of the V, but it has all the power I need for daily driving duty. It handles great with the factory bilstein suspension, the manual transmission is solid, and the 13.6" rotors brakes better than lots of sports cars. For DD duty, I find 300-400 HP plenty, but I'll air on too much over too little, so I'm not totally opposed to more.

I agree the SS should be a good fit. I can't figure out why it doesn't inspire me at all. Maybe its because it looks like a malibu? I'm not too concerned about brand, but its just across the board uninspiring. I haven't been able to test drive one with a stick yet. All the dealers by me have are the autos, so I wonder if that's part of it.

I appreciate your thoughts!

6. nicholasn

nicholasn Formula 3

Nov 7, 2013
    North Carolina
    Full Name:
    Nicholas
    Motor Trend said the SS 6MT was like a second coming of the E39 M5. Chevy only builds like 200 SSs a month though, and I'm pretty sure a majority of those are automatics, so manual SSs are hard to find. Plus I don't think it's any larger than your CTS.

You're going to have a very difficult time finding a daily driver with ~400 hp and a manual, let alone one with a lot of rear legroom. The SS, ATS-V, and outgoing M5 are the only sedans that offer that much power with a stick (that I can think of at the moment). The new Jaguar XE 2.0T will supposedly offer a six speed soon, but that engine doesn't make a lot of power, and the car is about the same size as the 3-Series.

The B8 Audi S4 offered a manual too, although that wasn't any larger than a 3-Series. Great looking car though.

7. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    I vote Chevy SS or CTS-V.

Otherwise, maybe a Gen 4 Subie Legacy 2.5 GT.

8. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    If I was looking for a new car I would definitely consider the SS. I think it's going out of production soon so you might not have much time. I'd definitely find a manual to drive. I'm probably different than most people but I don't really care too much how the car looks on the outside. How it drives is much more important to me.

9. arachnyd

arachnyd Karting

Feb 5, 2016
    Springboro
    I don't really need or want 400 HP, and it doesn't have to be stick. I'm fine with dual clutch and/or automated manuals as long as there is no torque converter. That's why the panamera and Maserati were on my short list. In fact the SS has more performance than I care for in a DD. I wish the SS came with the 3.6l v6 with the aisin 6 SPD from the camaro v6. That would be the perfect DD for me. My 300 HP Cadillac is perfect performance-wise. I don't need any more performance than my current Cadillac. I mean my daily commute is 60 highway Miles. I enjoy not driving a boat, but the only time I slam the gas is to pass someone...

The SS does have more legroom than the Cadillac.

All data is suggesting the SS is surprisingly going to be replaced. I'm tempted to hold back and see what shows up but despite the great reviews, I wasn't wowed when I test drove the SS automatic. I thought the Maserati and panamera were better drives and they have more back seat room.

I'm not opposed to the m5 except our local BMW dealer is awful and I'd rather have a 5XX m sport with a stick.

10. tantumaude

tantumaude Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2016
    Burlington, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mat
    I'm 6'2" and have the e39 540i. You will not fit comfortably. Great car though (swapped mine to manual)

11. arachnyd

arachnyd Karting

Feb 5, 2016
    Springboro
    I was thinking an F10 or maybe a late model E60 if I can find one low mileage. 550i probably F10 or 540/545/550 e60. I like the NAs, but e60's idrive was a disaster and its probably one of the worst generations... but still not a terrible car, but the f10s seem superior. F10s are tough to find in sticks, but they do exist. I'm not totally opposed to an SMG, but I'd rather have a stick since they were available. There's a local f10 550i with a stick for sale, but its higher mileage than I'd like (60k), but when your talking about a car a few years old I guess thats not unbearable. I just worry about the turbo reliability long term.

12. VGM911

VGM911 Formula 3

Apr 8, 2007
    New Jersey
    ...have you given any thought to a Toyota Avalon. Last time I was in one several years ago, I recall it having alot of legroom both in the front and the back.

Admittedly, I'm not as tall as you are, though.

Good luck with your search.

13. arachnyd

arachnyd Karting

Feb 5, 2016
    Springboro
    I'm only going to laugh because we made a youtube video of a friend's Avalon about how it is the most beige, boring, soulless car ever produced. But yes, I fit in it fine!

14. carguyjohn350

carguyjohn350 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 7, 2007
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    John P
    There really isnt a truly full size car in the market that I can think of that doesnt have a traditional torque converter automatic. No three pedal manuals, and not even any with a DCT that I am aware of other than what has been mentioned - older CTS and CTS V, SS, Qporte, 5 series, maybe (?) a A6 but those are midsize. I know the OP mentioned a manual Cayenne, which I had no idea existed but apparently does, is the best fit? I;m stumped for a full size manual car unless we are talking about a custom job which is a whole other conversation.

15. arachnyd

arachnyd Karting

Feb 5, 2016
    Springboro
    thats why I thought I'd post up... You never know if there's a car you didn't know about. For example, until I posted this, I didn't know the F10 was available in manual, so thats now on my short list. I've pretty much been talked out of the quattroporte. We own a manual cayenne and once again, thats a car most people would never know existed!

The Mazda 6 is surprisingly large, but only comes in relatively base set ups with a stick which is sad. thats why its hard to shake. The SS is relatively large. There's some weird ones- the new honda Civic, type R is around the corner, and it has more legroom than the CTS... can you believe that? I have a hard time with the size game because who would guess a "Civic" has more legroom than a midsize luxury car... The Accord comes in one as well but its more midsize. I'm not opposed to midsize though. I also considered a Buick Regal GS. that is about the same size as my CTS (1 extra inch), so that was on my short list. There are oddballs out there, like the Ram and Wrangler come in sticks, but thats not what I really want for a DD.

OK- so everyone talked me out of the Quattroporte, and I kind of talked myself out of the SS for the most part. I think I have it narrowed down to 2 leaders, 2 follow ups, one stretch cars:

BMW F10 550i M-sport with Manual Transmission (535/540 not out of possibility)
    Porsche Panamera S with PDK. (Base not out of possibility)

The SS is like the girl everyone wants me to date because its supposed to be a perfect match, but I just don't have any attraction to. the Mazda 6 is like the girl that doesn't match what I want but some how keeps hanging around.

The Buick Regal GS is bare minimum on all fronts. An extra inch of legroom isn't enough, I don't like FWD, and the engine isn't that impressive, but no one else likes them so they are cheap and they aren't too bad. This kind of becomes the "maybe if I find one at the right price I'll hold myself over for a year or two while someone builds something better" car.

The M5/CTS-V are not impossible but I'd rather have one of the options above. The Quattroporte is officially off my list, but Its possible that if I happened to run into one I'd buy it semi-irrationally.

So in short, it looks like my prime focus will be on Panameras and F10 BMWs. Thanks everyone for their thoughts and recommendations. I'll keep you posted when I pick one up.

16. carguyjohn350

carguyjohn350 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 7, 2007
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    John P
    Youre making sense, and I do agree its helpful to get the groups opinion. I think its sad that the Qporte has such a bad rep, I dont own one, but they are so awesome on paper I kinda wanted one. More investigation needed.

I totally believe the Mazda is larger than the CTS, one of my friends has a CTS and its actually not as big inside as I would have thought from its exterior size. The Accord is interesting, hadnt thought of that. Its humorous to me that we would cross shop a Maserati and a Honda, but a manual trans driver has to do what he has to do.

Mentioning the Accord jiggled a thought loose in my brain. Acura TL. It comes as a manual, and can even be had with their AWD system and a stick. I have never driven one, and dont know how big it is inside, but since the base car is FWD it might benefit from some of the larger interior volume of that arrangement vs the CTS which is RWD. Just a thought.
    Cars for Sale: Used 2013 Acura TL in SH-AWD w/ Technology Package, Bridgewater NJ: 08807 Details - Sedan - Autotrader

17. Tyler

Tyler F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2001
    dusty old farm town
    Full Name:
    Tyler
    Have you considered a Charger? You can get a stick and they're a lot of fun in the SRT 392 and Scat Pack trims.

Subaru Outback can also be had with a manual and might have enough head room without a sunroof and Eyesight system.

18. definitelysomeday

definitelysomeday Formula Junior

Aug 7, 2009
    Ft. Lauderdale
    Full Name:
    Tom Kavan
    I really wanted to like the Mazda6 as well. Couldn't find an SS that I liked, and test drove a few others as well.

I know you don't like FWD, and not sure if it meets your space requirements. But I got a Golf R and am really liking it.

19. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

Took 12 posts for a Toyota to come up. The obvious choice.

Avalon = Toyota's Buick

20. bounty

bounty F1 Veteran

Feb 18, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    No offense to you at all personally. I love Toyotas. As a Toyota fan and Camry/Avalon lover - you couldn't get a more uninspiring and boring car if you tried. It is for people that want to go from A to B in comfort and never be stranded on the highway. But it is so far from a drivers car that it isn't even funny.

21. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    The only thing further removed from a driver's car is a big Lexus. Even worse, the damn thing constantly gripes at you.

22. tervuren

tervuren Formula 3

Apr 30, 2006
    Its not that the Maser is a bad car, its just that when you set it next the Porsche back to back, the Porsche is light years ahead. The Maserati evokes something of the 80's in its vibe. For a daily driver, 100% the Porsche. For a fun evening out on the town the Maserati can bring a certain something the Porsche lacks.

23. m5shiv

m5shiv Formula 3
    BANNED

Feb 25, 2013
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Shiv
    #23 m5shiv, Sep 30, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I have a 2007 Maserati QP Sport GT with Duo Select. I bought it with 7K miles about three years ago and have 56k on it now.

I have the 2013 Gran Turismo trident wheels, Formula Dynamics DBW, ECU, sport springs, sway bars and Larini exhaust. I've been through one clutch+ actuator, plus a leaking radiator and two window regulators.

So basically, no big deal at all. The Panamera is significantly better engineered, but no passione. Everybody loves the QP wherever I go ! It's not fast, compared to say an F10 M5 or even an E60, but it's sexy and cool that cannot be matched with the best V8 sound ever.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

TroyNVie likes this.
  24. nicholasn

nicholasn Formula 3

Nov 7, 2013
    North Carolina
    Full Name:
    Nicholas
    Charger isn't available with three pedals. Were you referring to the Challenger? Outback is not currently offered with a stick shift either, although a manual was standard on some trims prior to the 2015 refresh (but only with the four-cylinder engine).

25. nicholasn

nicholasn Formula 3

Nov 7, 2013
    North Carolina
    Full Name:
    Nicholas
    Noted. I'm a manual guy, so I kind of automatically default to anything with a stick shift. Regarding the SS.....IF Chevy builds another one (and that's a huge if), it will be nothing like the current one. The current SS is Holden Commodore with a different badge, but Chevy is ending Australian production of Holden after the 2017 model year, and with the Holden facilities goes the RWD platform that the Commodore/SS is based on. There is concern that if GM does indeed produce a second-gen SS, it will be front wheel drive.

I would definitely go with a B8 Audi S4 6MT over the TL SH-AWD 6MT. The Audi looks a million times better and is a better all-around car (except for maybe maintenance). Also, just a thought, but the current-gen Accord Sport is offered with a 6MT and is decently quick in a straight line for a family sedan with an inline four.