Ferrari F355 (Weight Reductions: Parts Weight) | Page 4 | FerrariChat

Ferrari F355 (Weight Reductions: Parts Weight)

Discussion in '348/355' started by Rothbauer_Racing, Jun 4, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. cf355

cf355 F1 Rookie

Feb 28, 2005
    Full Name:
    chris
    +1 :)

2. Yassa

Yassa Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2011
    London
    Full Name:
    Dr Yassa Hughes
    Did anyone ever find a source for the 355 challenge CF bumpers? Are there any sources for light weight bumpers anymore?

3. jmnov

jmnov Karting

Mar 15, 2009
    Lausanne
    There are some new CF parts at Superformance.co.uk (doors, front bumper, front and rear bonnets, front fenders, but no rear bumper yet)

4. cf355

cf355 F1 Rookie

Feb 28, 2005
    Full Name:
    chris
  5. piar-fotografie

Oct 20, 2014
    Just drive your car a lot and the loss of weight in your wallet is substantial. ;-)

6. Yassa

Yassa Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2011
    London
    Full Name:
    Dr Yassa Hughes
    very nice indeed

7. KingSteve

KingSteve Karting

Jan 16, 2015
    Maranello
    #82 KingSteve, Sep 30, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I Know this is a very old thread by now, and I'm sure op is probably left with a rattley old tin box, that is no longer fun to drive on the street, but i didn't see anywhere anyone mention the vacuum pump system, if your removing the Bypass valve system and cats and fitting straight pipes to save the weight of the backbox (muffler) and your not bothered about the emissions reduction system at startup, then this must weigh at least 10 Kg! I recently referb'd mine and was shocked at the excess weight slung out behind the rear wheel! even just fabricating a carbon panel to replace the rusty steel one would help!!

Next up is the charcoal canister, and I bet thats also a fat bastard!!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Rothbauer_Racing likes this.
  8. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
  9. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    Anyone ever weigh the factory sideskirts? If they are made as thick as the bumpers, they are probably heavier than they need to be.

10. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    #85 ShineKen, Mar 24, 2017
  11. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    #86 ShineKen, Mar 24, 2017
  12. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    Nice Ken, thanks!

13. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    #88 308 GTB, Mar 24, 2017
    The vacuum pump system on my 1995 Challenge is a bit lighter than yours. I also have the luxury of a cheap vacuum tank replacement...

14. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    OEM tunnel:

5 pounds 10 ounces.

15. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    Surprised to hear yours weighed that much. Are you sure the mounting bracket is steel?

Just had mine off the car and the bracket is aluminum. Entire assembly as pictured (mine looks like Barry's) weighed 4.8lbs so I just cleaned it up and put it all back on.

16. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    I think mine is steel James but its been 10 years since I had it off. My guess would be 10 lbs not 20.

17. Rothbauer_Racing

Rothbauer_Racing Formula Junior

Jan 11, 2007
    Planet Earth
    Full Name:
    Röthbauer Racing GmbH
    Looking around again for light weight panels, any sources for oem New or Used challenge bumpers (front/rear). Meantime I found this, anyone purchased from them to contest the build and fitment quality? The bare door shells weight 4.5 KG (9.9 lbs).

https://www.rnrperformancecars.com/parts/

18. Yassa

Yassa Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2011
    London
    Full Name:
    Dr Yassa Hughes
    I have a set of spare OEM challenge bumpers I might part with. Check your inbox.

19. ruey220

ruey220 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

May 24, 2019
    Sf bay area
    Full Name:
    RM

I was calculating the easiest weight to shed on the car without making it look like a shell or non street car and noticed the doors definitely seem to be the biggest anchors that seem are unnecessarily heavy.

What is causing the door to be so heavy beside the windows?

The carbon fiber doors come as one piece and I figured if it's just the outer shell how much can it really save unless the whole frame is being replaced?

I got lucky and found a euro bumper from Europe for 1100 shipped to me. For a second I thought it was a challenge bumper because it has the hole for the tow hook. In any case it is around 24 pounds, while the stock one is much heavier.

I'll be happy if I get the car sub 3000 pounds. Image Unavailable, Please Login

20. Rothbauer_Racing

Jan 11, 2007
    Planet Earth
    Full Name:
    Röthbauer Racing GmbH
    For a street car you want safety if your ever on the road and Ferrari did just that. It's designed for side impact as it's a rigid system designed to protect the occupants. It's all the electronics, speakers, glass, electric window regulator that make the doors heavy.

For a track car that will not be used on the street you can use carbon fiber doors to get the weight down.

I wonder what the door weight difference is between the 355 and a modern Ferrari like that of the 458/488. Just how much has all those electronics and mechanism and carbon fiber reduced weight as technology has progressed. It's still comes down to a safety issue for they point of view.

Nice bumper, I like the Euro look!

ruey220 likes this.
  21. ruey220

ruey220 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

May 24, 2019
    Sf bay area
    Full Name:
    RM

I understand all about the safety features. I am just surprised how heavy the door feels on the car considering when I removed the lower exterior panel portion to fix the window rail bracket it seems pretty hollow inside.

Since the car probably wont see more than 3000 miles a year on the road and it's not a daily driver I wouldn't mind sacrificing some of the safety features for performance to get some more of it out on the track.

It is true those reinforcements help. My son took out the impact bar on his rear bumper and backed into a pole going 5mph and it went into the trunk, made the car look like it was hit going 20mph

22. Rothbauer_Racing

Jan 11, 2007
    Planet Earth
    Full Name:
    Röthbauer Racing GmbH
    It's nice to see more 355 users tracking there cars, it's a huge reward.

I had this post I was running when I was transforming my stock 355F1 Berlinetta into a track spec, down here in Houston, Texas we have 4 tracks near by to build up you skill level and enjoy the speeds. It's an experience you can not get while driving on a spirited drive to get a cup of coffee.

https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/ferrari-355f1-berlinetta-track-day.412544/

ruey220, Tifosi Dude, 308 GTB and 2 others like this.
  23. Rothbauer_Racing

Jan 11, 2007
    Planet Earth
    Full Name:
    Röthbauer Racing GmbH
    Rear subframe weight: 105 lbs. provided by SoCal1 (Thanks!)

I think I saw someone selling a rear shell within the listing, let’s see if he can provide us a weight for that part.

24. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    at 24 lbs, it probably is the challenge bumper.

25. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus

Link says “challenge” bumpers, but they aren’t replicas of challenge bumpers. Looks like replicas of the standard bumper.