What to look for in California | FerrariChat

What to look for in California

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by j.waldvogel, Sep 26, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. j.waldvogel

j.waldvogel Rookie

Mar 23, 2013
    Denver Colorado
    Full Name:
    j.waldvogel
  2. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    Scroll down - there have been several similar threads recently

3. good2go

good2go Formula Junior

Feb 9, 2016
    Car looks awesome.

Missing Magneride. I would want that.
    Missing Full eclectic seats. I would want that.
    No badge? Wow, I didn't think any of the Ferraris went out the door without a badge.

Look at all the options. Which options would you like?

This looks like a beautiful car, but low options.

4. MDEL

MDEL F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 24, 2016
    Southern Europe
    Full Name:
    Mario
    Don't know much about them. How reliable is the top? Transmission? Are they still dropping in price? Etc..

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

I've had a California 2010 for almost 1 year now and from my experience the advice I can give you is the following :

1) The car you have in mind has almost 30.000 miles and mileage is one of the two factors which devaluates more a Ferrari. If you can find an alternative car which has at least half of this mileage I would say you'll be much better off in terms of reducing the future devaluation of your investment. Older cars are also more susceptible to have issues.

2) Always choose a car which has a valid extended warranty covering engine and transmission at least. Calis from 2009 to 2012 have had issues with transmissions and even the simplest problem in this area normally makes it necessary to remove the complete transmission from the car, open it and put it back. A transmission sensor repair costs over 5.000 USD and the substitution of a complete transmission around 25.000 USD.

3) I have magneride suspension in my Cali and I've driven another without it. The difference is quite noticeable because magneride makes the ride much more comfortable.

4) This car has a interior like mine all cuoio with daytona seats and I particularly like it because contrasts extremely well with a black or grey paint color. This interior color is not difficult to maintain and stays pristine if you apply the right leather products at least three times a year.

In general terms the Cali is a reliable car which is very pleasant to drive and gives great sensations. One thing I really like on the Cali is her ability to be a great coupé as well as a great convertible and she changes from one to another at the press of a button in just 14 seconds.

Good luck with your search and decision and don't hesitate to ask for further opinions if you need.

DarkStarJJ likes this.
  5. j.waldvogel

j.waldvogel Rookie

Mar 23, 2013
    Denver Colorado
    Full Name:
    j.waldvogel
    Wow! Thank you MDEL!

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk

6. j.waldvogel

j.waldvogel Rookie

Mar 23, 2013
    Denver Colorado
    Full Name:
    j.waldvogel
    I've heard about the transmission issues with the sensor. Is this a common problem on all 2009-2012 California's? How can it be avoid?
    Or simply find one with one that has been repaired?

7. MDEL

MDEL F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 24, 2016
    Southern Europe
    Full Name:
    Mario
    Mine had a problem in the gearbox main shaft sensor and thank god I have the extended warranty which has covered all the necessary repairs. According to my Ferrari dealer the earlier model cars until 2012 are the one which show transmission issues which are invariably related to sensors failure. Unfortunately the sensor problems can't be avoid and they appear when you less expect. If you have extended warranty, which is normally renewed once a year against the payment of a fee, if anything happens to the engine or the transmission Ferrari will make the all the necessary repairs completely free of charge.

8. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    I echo everything Mario said. If you need the peace of mind, get the warranty, and then drive the heck out of it. 5 months and 3,000 miles into our Cali adventure, it's still an occasion every time my wife and I take it out...T

DarkStarJJ likes this.
  9. j.waldvogel

j.waldvogel Rookie

Mar 23, 2013
    Denver Colorado
    Full Name:
    j.waldvogel
    How about price wise? How low can they go? I've seen them as low as the low 100ks...
    Any issues with the convertible top?
    Maintenance?
    We own a mint condition 308gtsi which is due for the major service including the valve adjustment, all fluids and filters. Prior to that was a 348 which the cost of service was ridiculous.
    Is the cali belt or chain?

10. MDEL

MDEL F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 24, 2016
    Southern Europe
    Full Name:
    Mario
    Tom 3000 miles of pleasure already and so far no problems whatsoever. Definitely yours is a Wednesday Cali and as you know I've got a Monday one but lately she has been very well behaved.

11. j.waldvogel

j.waldvogel Rookie

Mar 23, 2013
    Denver Colorado
    Full Name:
    j.waldvogel
    Are the California timing chain? Is it true the fender badge was more of an option from the buyer?

12. mike_747

mike_747 Formula Junior

Dec 15, 2008
    Seattle
    The Cali is a chain, also no clutch to replace - both huge cost savers. I owned a 355 so I know what you mean about the 348 major service. I spent $13,000 on mine.

13. good2go

good2go Formula Junior

Feb 9, 2016
    The badge is an option. You cannot add it afterwards (it's indented in the fender).

14. MCAppe

MCAppe Rookie

May 10, 2016
    Could you elaborate on "This interior color is not difficult to maintain and stays pristine if you apply the right leather products at least three times a year"? Thanks, would be helpful to know......

15. MDEL

MDEL F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 24, 2016
    Southern Europe
    Full Name:
    Mario
    #15 MDEL, Sep 28, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I've always taken care of my cars leather seats and interiors and I've used already several different products and that has enabled me to compare each one's results. Now on my Cali cuoio leather I only use the Volvo care kit on the picture below. The products are of a very high quality and not difficult use and the results excellent. In europe this kit costs less than 50 USD.

Before using the Volvo kit the leather seats and areas have to be very well vacuum cleaned. Once that's done the liquid cleaner from one of the bottles is poured directly on the kit sponge and than the sponge is passed over all the leather areas with circular movements. Foam will form and once all the leather has been cleaned it will have to dry completely and that takes approximately 10 minutes. Afterwards using the enclosed polishing cloth and the cream inside the second bottle all leather surfaces are treated.

This year I've done this operation on my Cali interior already three times and the leather
    looks like brand new. At my dealer they've asked me several times who's the detailer that takes care of my Cali's leather because they surprised that it looks great for a car which is 6 years old. I always tell them joking that my Cali's leather care taker is someone highly qualified that I bring specifically from Rolls Royce in the UK.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

DarkStarJJ likes this.
  16. Derek at FoD

Derek at FoD Formula 3
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2004
    Denver
    Full Name:
    Derek Fennig
    I've got two very nice, low mileage 2010 Californias in stock, please feel free to contact me at your convenience about them. They're both priced about $20k more than the car you posted but my cars have rock solid pedigrees and include a one year factory-backed certified pre-owned program and 24 hour roadside assistance (which hopefully you'll never need it but it's great peace of mind!)

Derek

17. j.waldvogel

j.waldvogel Rookie

Mar 23, 2013
    Denver Colorado
    Full Name:
    j.waldvogel
    Is this at the Ferrari of Denver?

18. MCAppe

MCAppe Rookie

May 10, 2016

Thanks much for the advice and product description.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

19. THE RED MENACE

THE RED MENACE Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 24, 2005
    #19 THE RED MENACE, Sep 29, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2016
    Yes, Derek is a a salesman for Ferrari of Denver. I have bought 3 cars from him, one used and 2 new. He has been very helpful, straightforward and honest in all my dealings with him and Ferrari of Denver, and Im sure a lot of other people on here would agree with me. FoD always has very nice inventory and great examples, I would recommend them 100% and would buy a car from them sight unseen, knowing they will tell you how it is and stand behind the product. Good luck with the search for the Cali

20. Derek at FoD

Derek at FoD Formula 3
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2004
    Denver
    Full Name:
    Derek Fennig
    Thanks, Tom, much appreciated!

21. j.waldvogel

j.waldvogel Rookie

Mar 23, 2013
    Denver Colorado
    Full Name:
    j.waldvogel
    I am planning on stopping by to FoD this saturday to see their inventory

22. j.waldvogel

j.waldvogel Rookie

Mar 23, 2013
    Denver Colorado
    Full Name:
    j.waldvogel
    #22 j.waldvogel, Sep 30, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2016
    I will be stopping by this Saturday afternoon to see your inventory!

23. Derek at FoD

Derek at FoD Formula 3
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2004
    Denver
    Full Name:
    Derek Fennig
    Jürgen, if you recall we spoke on the phone a few weeks ago about your search for a 360. I'll be in the office tomorrow from 9am-5pm, I look forward to seeing you!
    Derek

24. j.waldvogel

j.waldvogel Rookie

Mar 23, 2013
    Denver Colorado
    Full Name:
    j.waldvogel
    Yes i do remember...we still in the market for a 360. Whatever best deal comes first its what we will get. See you there.

25. Derek at FoD

Derek at FoD Formula 3
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2004
    Denver
    Full Name:
    Derek Fennig
    I'm sorry I missed you on Saturday but I trust that Jaylen took good care of you while I was delivering another vehicle. If you have any particular questions or comments about any of the vehicles of looked at, please let me know.

Thanks, Derek