true or fake about 3X8 series: legends are just legends | Page 4 | FerrariChat

true or fake about 3X8 series: legends are just legends

Discussion in '308/328' started by Albert-LP, Sep 25, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. vaccarella

vaccarella Formula 3

Apr 16, 2011
    Full Name:
    Paul
    My 1980 GTSi had a classic 2nd gear cold issue. My new 78 GTS is fine at any temp. I'll know for sure when I take it out this winter; for now ambient here is still ~15C.

2. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani

Yes, of course you are right. But as I wrote that all, i think it was clear : you just have to do that small mod and you will erase the problem? I think it was already clear! :)

ciao

3. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    I think you are starting to learn why you just have to eliminate the shatf leverage play and leave the gearbox closed... ;)

ciao

4. sp1der

sp1der F1 Rookie

Jan 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Simon Ashley
    Another problem in the cold with dry sump cars is not getting oil temp, took to driving round with a rag stuffed into the rh intake to stop the cold air reaching the cooler.

5. smg2

smg2 F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Apr 1, 2004
    Dumpster Fire #31
    Full Name:
    SMG
    The bushing fix you are talking about is going to effect the engagement point of each gear. I'll explain. The rod from the shift box to the gear box is in multiple sections, the link point is a silent block with clevis union. Lets call the fore and aft movement the X & Y and rotation is rotation. Too much clearance in the shift box where the bushing is will not cause problems with the rotation to go from 1st to 2nd or 3rd to 4th, too much play will cause a shorting of the travel in the X & Y and thus make the actual complete engagement into any gear less then ideal. Given that we are dealing with very minor 'slop' the axial offset will be small and with a little trigonometry the reduced travel in the X & Y direction is going to be even smaller. It can indeed given the stack effect of tolerances add up to a problem. But that problem is different from the 2nd gear problem most all experience where actually getting the shaft to move to 2nd is restricted, it's not an issue of lack of travel but one of no travel permitted.

6. smg2

smg2 F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Apr 1, 2004
    Dumpster Fire #31
    Full Name:
    SMG
    #81 smg2, Sep 30, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  7. andyww

andyww F1 Rookie

Feb 7, 2011
    London
    All makes sense.

I am wondering if the reason why some cars dont have the problem is because of different adjustment of the length of the linkage. If the linkage length were adjusted such that when moving the lever across the horizontal gate slot it cant pass through the slot without having pulled the 1st gear selector shaft slightly further than the detent position. That might overcome the effect of the suction caused by the air/oil in the blind hole.

The spring rate of the detent ball spring might also have an effect, a stronger spring would prevent the shaft from being pulled back by the suction effect.

8. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    That's also because of where the oil temp sender is located. We have it in the dry sump oil tank after the oil cooler. The wet sump cars have it in the sump.

If you measure the difference of the temperatures of the oil in the tank and in the sump, you will get amazing results.

Best
    Martin

9. Imperial Stormtrooper

May 7, 2014
    Far, Far Away
    Full Name:
    George
    I've only owned for a year, so I'm glad I came across this pointer now... I just grinded into reverse right after starting the car just a few days ago...

10. moysiuan

moysiuan F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2005
    Canada
    Regarding the bushing fix noted, where did you get the bushing, was it custom fabricated?