Opinions please - would this work (coolant)? | FerrariChat

Opinions please - would this work (coolant)?

Discussion in '348/355' started by Gottaloveit, Oct 3, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Gottaloveit

Gottaloveit Karting

Jul 12, 2012
    1994 2.7 355.

As part of my winter to do list, I want to change the thermostat and the ECU temp sensor. Unfortunately, I am not able to drain the whole system for practical reasons (space etc), so have wondered about just draining down the top part of the cooling system.

What I propose is to use the removal of the ECU temp sensor as a "drain plug" and allow the escaping coolant to be directed away from the car/underneath the car by the expedient of a 3 inch diameter hose, and be collected in a tray.

The theory is that once it find its own level, enough will have been released to then enable me to access the Thermostat without further spillage.

New bits in and on - top up of system - job done : or is it ???. Think this will work ?

Could I ask the tech folk to please chime in and let me have your thoughts please ?. If its a half-arsed idea I'll have to think again but let me know your thoughts folks.

Many thanks guys

2. F355Bob

F355Bob Formula 3

when I replaced my thermostat, I just opened the drain on the left radiator and let out some fluid and put the plug back in. You can then change the thermostat without spilling much fluid. My car is a 94 F355 also.

3. KingSteve

KingSteve Karting

Jan 16, 2015
    Maranello
    #3 KingSteve, Oct 3, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2016
    Don't forget to bleed the system, do a search, I once popped the head gasket on my 1988 BMW 525 when i was a kid at Uni, due to not properly understanding the bleeding procedure! Expensive mistake when you're a student!

Also I'd suggest that the coolant mixture is only really good for 2 years anyway so if your coolant has been setting for over a year it would be preferable to change it out this winter whilst your in there! How do you need more space, then you need for changing the sensors? it's not that difficult.

4. F355Bob

F355Bob Formula 3

The F355 is self bleeding I believe

5. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    When i changed my thermostat i just undid the overflow , caught as much as i coukd and changed the thermostat. Then retopped up the coolant. Did the same with temp sensor..

6. Gottaloveit

Gottaloveit Karting

Jul 12, 2012
    Update on the winter project.

Thermostat and sensor changed (and umpteen other jobs "whilst you're in there" you know how it is !) and the first start up.

Car started A-OK, noticeably smoother idle - warm up much quicker than before and all in all a very happy car I'd say. Less fumy I reckon too.

Thanks for the advice folks, really enjoyable project.

7. Skippr1999

Skippr1999 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2009
    I did the same and, cleaned idle control valve, & replaced both cooling fans. Idle became much smoother.