Real vs Fake or odds of Fake Breitling | FerrariChat

Real vs Fake or odds of Fake Breitling

Discussion in 'Fine Watches, Jewelry, & Clothes' started by Vegas-Guy, Oct 3, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Vegas-Guy

Vegas-Guy Formula 3

Nov 25, 2007
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Reg
    Hi all,

I'm new to the watch world and just wonder the odds of a fake Breitling? I know Rolex has a lot of fakes but is it the same for others. I've been looking mostly at Ebay since prices are a bit more in line with my budget but just wonder, would a listing like this (example) with papers, box, etc.. always be genuine?

Breitling A73350 Chrono Colt Ocean Quartz Stainless Steel Watch Box Papers | eBay

If not what are things to look for in a fake?

Thanks in advance.

2. flat_plane_eddie

flat_plane_eddie F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 30, 2013
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Eddie
    I don't know if anyone can calculate the odds of buying a fake but the watch you're looking at on eBay is real.

Shop the seller and if you pay via PayPal w/ your credit card you are protected.

3. definitelysomeday

definitelysomeday Formula Junior

Aug 7, 2009
    Ft. Lauderdale
    Full Name:
    Tom Kavan
    I would NOT presume because it has box and papers that it is genuine. Those can be faked, just as easily as the watch.

This looks ok though, and as flat_plane_eddie points out, the seller looks legit.

4. LI2782

LI2782 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 19, 2010
  5. flat_plane_eddie

flat_plane_eddie F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 30, 2013
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Eddie
    Oh man I forgot which one it is specifically (I think enforcer) but he's kind of a clown. He was posting all this instagram stuff pretending like he's a baller and somebody went after all that and found out he's a truck inspector or something and drives a Nissan Altima. Guy was pretending he has like multiple houses over the world and has nice cars, etc...

Instagram is a facade for the most part and a lot of these guys just kiss each other's asses. I wouldn't waste my time with any of those guys.

Watch looks OK from the pics, fakes usually have odd proportions. Best way to check is to take it to a Breitling dealer after you bought it. If that's too far from you, just post it on a Breitling or watch forum. As I said though, if you shop the seller you'll be fine. I do this for a living and never had a fake go through my hands even though at least 25% of customers ask me how do I know it's not a fake.

6. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    Breitlings are knocked off all the time so yeah, you should be careful and always buy from a reputable seller, the best choice being an A/D, especially if you want a valid warranty.

7. Melvin Diagnosi

Melvin Diagnosi Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

May 15, 2016
    Amsterdam
    Full Name:
    Melvin Williams
    Be verry carefull , Breitling has is the most en best fakes out there! Even more then rolex

Problem with the Breitling is that they use original the Same time piece as the ultimate NOOB V series Or vice versa

Valjoux type 2 28800 bpm .

Best things to check are the bracelets. They can t do thos verry Well @ the moment. Check for wrong things that are not consistent in the engravings etc etc. Or Google it and you Will find out al lot!

So forget About papers Or all that stuff. They cab Also fake those :)

8. LostAussie

LostAussie Formula Junior

Jun 13, 2013
    Woodinville, WA
    Full Name:
    Stuart
  9. vjd3

vjd3 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2005
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Vic
  10. Vegas-Guy

Vegas-Guy Formula 3

Nov 25, 2007
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Reg
    Lol... I saw yours and actually went to an AD this weekend to see how a 38mm would look/fit, unfortunately it looks small on me so I think I'm going to need to find a 41-44.

Thanks for the replies everyone. Help is always appreciated.

11. Vegas-Guy

Vegas-Guy Formula 3

Nov 25, 2007
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Reg
    Anyone deal with luxwatch? They have a 41mm colt II with box, papers.

On a side note, does some kind of "pre-owned" price guide exist or place to find market value that you guys recommend?

12. vjd3

vjd3 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2005
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Vic
    Ha ... I'm selling a Panerai I got recently because 44mm is a little too big on my skinny wrist.

I was concerned as well when I was looking at some preowned watches and found a very comprehensive site (can't recall the URL but should be easy to find) that was all about the "best" fake ("homage") watches out there. It was useful because they would point out the very detailed small differences between the real ones and the fakes (especially the movements), so if you sort of reverse engineer it, it's very educational.

13. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

I have the chrono colt automatic. the watch pictured is real. nearly 100 percent certain.

14. cls

cls Formula 3

Jun 12, 2007
    Los Angeles/Montreal
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Most of this is only partially true, some is not true at all.

As for the watch in question it is most likely genuine, but it's impossible to know for sure without seeing the movement.

15. Melvin Diagnosi

Rossa Subscribed

May 15, 2016
    Amsterdam
    Full Name:
    Melvin Williams
    Please explain...

16. cls

cls Formula 3

Jun 12, 2007
    Los Angeles/Montreal
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Sure

The most replicated watch is a Rolex Submariner, nothing else is even close in numbers. The best fake out there is not a Breitling or a Rolex, there are a couple of virtually undetectable designer watches made, but that's a different subject.

I see you know a little bit about the makers...
    Yes, some Breitling watches use a ETA 7750 base caliber which is then modified. The Chinese clones of these movements have the same subdial spacing, but many other differences which are easy to detect.

There are many other obvious things (movement for one) but I'll take your word for it that the bracelets are easy to spot. There are many very well replicated bracelets from many manufacturers however.

Yes, but they don't do it very well.

17. Melvin Diagnosi

Rossa Subscribed

May 15, 2016
    Amsterdam
    Full Name:
    Melvin Williams
    A yes , so i know a little indeed :)

Thanx for clearing up a bit. We learn everyday

18. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    Thaaaat's good....

Figured you, of all people, would be able to diagnose it on your own? ;) :eek: :D

19. definitelysomeday

definitelysomeday Formula Junior

Aug 7, 2009
    Ft. Lauderdale
    Full Name:
    Tom Kavan
    ^^^ That's funny

20. WPOZZZ

WPOZZZ F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Honolulu, HI
    Earlier this year, I bought an Explorer 2 off eBay from a trusted seller (xxxx stars). It was complete with boxes and papers. However, it was never received as the trusted seller's account was hacked.

Moral of the story: Even if the seller looks legit, their acct can be hacked. Check past sales and activity, if there has been no activity in a while, do a reverse image search to verify those pictures are theirs. Then use your gut instinct.

21. LI2782

LI2782 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 19, 2010
    Agh that's funny to hear. I'd seen some articles on them on some of the watch blogs but those are usually run by the same isntafamous people who've usually done nothing so shame on me for falling for it.

22. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    ETA 7750 movements are authentic to real watches.

Unfortunately, the real ETA 7750 movements are also used in better replicas.

Matt