718 | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Discussion in 'Porsche' started by jgriff, Jul 2, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. classic308

classic308 F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Paul
    It's common knowledge that the last great Porsche is the sc and that everything after that was pure shyte....lol.

2. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C

You wouldn't happen to own an SC? 😉
    T

3. classic308

classic308 F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Specifically, the 1982 SC coupe in chiffon is the greatest P car ever! ;)

4. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C

And yet, no pics. :(

Back on topic, anyone here own a 718 Cayman. If so, thoughts?

T

5. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

Yep.

'78 Silver Targa.

6. classic308

classic308 F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Sorry, I'm at work-will post later.

Do not know of anyone with a 718 but all the reviews I've read said it is a brilliant, but for the sound.......:(

Depends on how much value one puts on the visceral aspects of owning a sports car. For me personally, I like old school stuff-power steering? Really?

youtube hans and franz pump you up - Bing video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QzBsYMpuNXc

7. classic308

classic308 F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Awesome.......

8. fastback33

fastback33 Formula 3

Mar 8, 2004
    #33 fastback33, Oct 4, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Okay I'm curious. Would any of you purchase or be swayed to test the new Alpine a120 over the 718? Same price bracket, engine from the Megane rs I believe, which is a 4 cylinder turbo and was also in the nissan juke here in the states.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

9. PhilB

PhilB Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 17, 2004
    NYC, USA
    Full Name:
    Phil
    I test drove a 718 "S" Boxster a few weeks ago. It was probably the longest test drive of any car I ever tested, maybe 35-40 minutes. The one I drove had standard exhaust, PDK and Chrono, stickered at about $82k. I was considering the car for a daily driver, and it would be a purchase (not lease). These are my thoughts.

At startup, the sound is very Porsche like. It did not sound metallic or high pitched. Even my wife remarked "this doesn't sound like a Subaru at all", having previously read a lot of the media on the car.

The drive was great in terms of the overall feel of the car, it feels planted, responsive handling and firm. The ride is not jarring, it was very smooth. It handled bumps and potholes with a lot of grace. The car looks good.

I did not test acceleration off-the-line, but did when moving from a local road to a highway. It has enough power, but not an overwhelming amount of power. Where my Mustang would have pushed me back into my seat when planting my right foot, the 718 was quick but not exciting. The steering felt much better than the previous version Boxster. The sound at local road and highway speeds was more or less the same Porsche-like sound that I heard at startup. Slightly lower in volume than the NA flat 6s. I did not "push" this car, so I didn't get any burping or bubbling sounds. When we returned to the dealership, the tech insisted on showing me how to up/down the revs quickly to get the back fire noises - I could care less about this and thought it was childish, so I wasn't impressed and quite frankly, if anything the sounds the tech was making with the car deducted a few points off my impression of it.

This was the 1st time I ever drove PDK, it took some of the enjoyment and drive engagement away for me. However for a daily driver around NYC with traffic and all, it would be fine for most people. I'd probably spec the car without PDK if I was going to order one.

Net-net, to me the car was brilliant but not overwhelming. I didn't leave feeling like I had to have one.

Comparing it to my other cars: the only way I can describe driving my 355 is "epic", don't matter if I take it out for a quick errand or a 3 hour trip, in my head I feel like the Carmina Burana is playing from the moment my garage door starts to open. My Mustang is like driving a snot dripping bull dog - loud, large and scary. For me, the 718 couldn't replace either of my existing cars. Adding the 718 to the 2 cars I already have....

I'm not trying to be disparaging but "No". For one reason - Cost per smile. The car feels like it should be $60-$62k, maybe $65k, and if it was I'd have ordered one. At $85k (if you're conservative with the options) plus tax, etc, you're around $95k all-in. Add a few more options and you're easily over $100k. I just don't see it, you're in highly optioned Corvette space at this price where you get a lot more performance, and approaching 430 money for $20k more. So I'm not sure what void the 718 fills at its price point. If I was in a deep pocket "money no object" life style, I'd still pass and get the 911 if I had to have a Porsche.

In 2-3 years when they are all over the net for $50k pre-owned with 15k miles, maybe.

But I think more compelling is the consideration that now is the time to pick up a 2013-2016 last of the NA flat 6s Boxster/Cayman, those are the the last of their kind. In all likelihood Porsche will be churning out these new turbo 4s for awhile.

10. classic308

classic308 F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Not familiar with this car. I will tell you that between the 718 S and C7 Z06 I'd take the C7, assuming the engine issues have been addressed.

11. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

So you're not in the US... no Renaults here. England?

12. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Great review PhilB. Thank you...T

13. fastback33

fastback33 Formula 3

Mar 8, 2004
    Im in the u.s. Ive just been following this brand since the announcement of its resurrection, because im a fan of the original.

The alpine hasn't been released yet in Europe. It gets an early 2017 release over there, then is supposedly going worlwide. If it sells well in Europe we are supposed to get it in the u.s./north america. From what ive read it will be priced according to the 718 and Alfa 4C and sold through inifiniti dealers.

This is also a brand that will be independent of Renault/nissan just like Infiniti is.

Hence my question if people would jump ship from porsche or not.

For me personally I think it is one of the best looking cars in a long time. I can also see success if they do end up selling it through the infiniti dealer network, as most people wouldn't even realize it is actually french. So any of that stigma about french quality control from the past is out the window in the u.s. Wondering what others' thoughts are however.

14. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

Oops, forgot that Nissan was part of Renault.

I should know, friend has a Leaf (awful car)... which is a badged Renault.

They'd best not use the Renault name over here.

15. classic308

classic308 F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Paul
    +1

16. jgriff

jgriff Formula 3

Jun 16, 2008
    Houston, TX
    #41 jgriff, Dec 23, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    We got our 718 Cayman S yesterday. We've only driven it about 50 miles so,far and are not pushing it much past 4K RPM until it has a few miles on it. It definitely sounds a lot different than my '14 Boxster S. I'll wait until I can push it to 7k+ rpm for final judgement though.

17. indaville

indaville Formula 3

Oct 6, 2005
    Louisville, KY
    Looks great. Congrats!!

Matt

18. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C

Nice! Is that cocoa interior?
    Great combo. Look forward to your report.
    T

19. jgriff

jgriff Formula 3

Jun 16, 2008
    Houston, TX
    It's Natural Leather in Espresso. Similar to the old cocoa. This build was for my wife who has always wanted a white Porsche with brown interior. The build is a little more luxurious and less sporty than I would have made for myself. The options were right at $30k. The major things she got were the natural leather, burmeister stereo, sport exhaust, adaptive seats, led headlights, etc...

20. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C

Your wife has great taste. It reminds me of the ciocolatto interior of my Cali, very rich and luxurious. Enjoy your fabulous car.
    T

21. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    Love the chrome side window trim. Looks great on all the modern pcars

22. jgriff

jgriff Formula 3

Jun 16, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Ok. I drove the Cayman a couple hundred miles over the last few days. Took off from the house yesterday morning in it and hit a piece of angle iron in the road. Fortunately the only damage was a blown tire. It's at the dealership now awaiting an overnighted tire.

So I'm back in the '14 Boxster now. I always get thought the 3.4 liter flat 6 had plenty of power but now it's a little disappointing. My wife has sport exhaust also which I don't. I actually enjoy the sound of hers better.

23. jgriff

jgriff Formula 3

Jun 16, 2008
    Houston, TX
    I thought the chrome would look good for this build also. I want not disappointed when we saw it in person.

Even the expensive Porsche natural leather is not quite up to Ferrari standards in my opinion. It is very nice though. I should have gotten the airbag cover on the steering wheel done too. Lesson learned. It looks worse in the picture above than in real life though.

24. dakharris

dakharris Two Time F1 World Champ

Jun 7, 2001
    Sleepy Hollow
    Full Name:
    Cavaliere Senzatesta
    I bought a six month old 718 Boxster with 3,xxx miles. Came with a 6 year, 100K mile CPO warranty. Drove it back to back with a 2015 Cayman. The big difference is the turbo 4 has torque throughout the rev range, whereas the 6 has to be over 5,000 RPM at all times. The concept is to get better gas mileage. Everything about the 718 is is intended to improve fuel economy. I'm getting 31 MPG on average. The 718 is a much better DD than the older Boxster/Cayman, which is what I'm tasking it with. The paddles on the 718 are FAR superior to the ridiculous buttons on the older cars, IMO. It's just an easier car to drive under all conditions. If you want to rev it up and engage the turbo, it's there for you. But when you are just cruising, it sips gas and it's relatively quiet.

As far as the exhaust note, if you are a flat six lover this will be a disappointment. I grew up riding around in 356s, so the clattering of the 4 reminds me of those days. My wife says that it sounds like a badly running Datsun pickup truck. She's not that far off. It has a great stereo that I play with the top and windows up. But when I'm in the mood for music, I just pull my 12 cyl. 550 out of the garage and roll the windows down. Nothing beats that for sound.

25. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    As daily seems fine. As a car to stir the soul its going backwards. But then they will probably make more NA flat 6 Gt4s for those of us who care.

As to the Alpine. From pics it looks great, if a little less exciting than the concept car. Whats its USP, I mean there is no way its going to be as well built or as solid as a porche and its motor may put out the power but will lack the pedigree and no inline 4 will be as smooth and nice sounding as a 6 or a flat 4.

Now is the Alpine going to be much lighter, like a 2500lbs car, thats interesting.
    Or is it going to be boxetr performance for under 50k thats interesting.
    Otherwise its going to be a quirky oddity like a 4c and sell like that too.