Looking at 1985 California 308 GTS | FerrariChat

Looking at 1985 California 308 GTS

Discussion in '308/328' started by mjw02, Oct 4, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. mjw02

mjw02 Karting

Nov 14, 2014
    Rancho Santa Fe
    Full Name:
    Marc
  2. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    Sure does look good.

But I think that car and dealer has been posted here before by someone else a little while back. I may be wrong.

3. Fairview

Fairview Formula 3

Mar 16, 2009
    Waynesboro, Virginia
    Full Name:
    Jeff Ward
    Very nice indeed, and complete with tool kit, jack kit, emergency light, and owner's books. If it checks out, I bet you could look for a long time and not find a nicer one. Good luck! Jeff

4. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    That price is really good for the mileage and condition this 308 has.

5. Jakey

Jakey Karting

Feb 2, 2016
    S.F. Bay area
    Full Name:
    Jim
    mjw02,
    I purchased a 1985 QV from Cammisa earlier this year. That might be what Dr. Tommy is referring to.
    The vehicle for sale now is really nice. In fact, if it had been available at the time, I would have chosen this one, even though mine was less expensive. This car has many things ( correct tools for instance) that mine did not come with. The paint is much better, and it has fewer miles than mine. I do not have as much experience with Ferraris as many others here, but to me, this is a good deal, pending a PPI of course.
    Good luck.

Jim

6. mjw02

mjw02 Karting

Nov 14, 2014
    Rancho Santa Fe
    Full Name:
    Marc
    Jim just PM'd you

7. scudF1

scudF1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Billy
    I purchased my 85' QV from Cammisa as well. I can't talk about the car even though it looks great on the pictures. However, I can talk about the dealer. I had an amazing experience with Cammisa. Very professional and pleasure to deal with. I purchased my QV without seeing it in person. The vehicle arrived to me on the east coast better that I ever expected.

8. mjw02

mjw02 Karting

Nov 14, 2014
    Rancho Santa Fe
    Full Name:
    Marc
    good to hear thanks!

9. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    I was pretty sure I saw one from there before around here.

10. Jakey

Jakey Karting

Feb 2, 2016
    S.F. Bay area
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Mjw02,
    Just PM'd you back. But if I screwed it up and you didn't get it, let me know and I will try again.

Jim

11. galileo

galileo Formula Junior

May 20, 2011
    Price seems fair. Right colors, condition and miles. I don't care where the market is right now, theses cars will take off again in value, there just to beautiful!

12. John M

John M Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2004
    Kentucky
    That one is nice!

13. offtheworkigo

offtheworkigo Karting

Feb 23, 2016
    Rockwall
    Full Name:
    Dave Hoffer
    Looks very very nice in the pictures . I know a good PPI by a qualified Ferrari will check it out thoroughly. Somethings I like to known are like is it all original paint, original interior, clock work, can you change the time on the clock, original antenna and working with the switch, a/c working well. A/c using r12 or 134? When timing belts, bearing where changed, water pump , valves adjustment, spark plugs, any oil leaks, brakes and calipers done, compression test, 14 or 16 in rims, 14 in tires are not cheap. How old are the tires, check the date code on the tire, for me tires getting over 6 years old will need to be replaced soon no matter how much tread is on them. Will it pass calif emission, fuse box been changed, do the windows roll up very slow, has the old grease been replaced in the window motor gear box and install window motor accelerators, any fuel lines replace, water hoses replaced, the hard to replace heater hose from the back to the front of the car through the frame. Make sure the car doesn't run warm or to to hot with a/c on on a hot day. Do the aframe bushing need to be replaced? Its a old car.

14. Brian A

Brian A F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    SanFrancisco BayArea
    Full Name:
    1983 US 308 GTS QV
    By law, the onus is on the seller to obtain a fresh SMOG Certificate before the registration can be transfered at the DMV.

Because SMOG is such an issue in California, it might be wise to pay to have it retested just to ensure there was no testing monkey business on the seller's side.

15. Wolfgang5150

Wolfgang5150 F1 Rookie

Oct 31, 2003
    The '83 they have is my ex-car; if anyone has questions feel free to PM me.....
    Kevin

16. 4re308

4re308 F1 Rookie

Jun 13, 2001
    Woodstock, GA
    Full Name:
    Mitch D
    Wow no kidding that car is in very nice shape. The paint is so nice! Great price too! Cammisa has been around for like 25-30 years! GORGEOUS CAR!!

17. offtheworkigo

offtheworkigo Karting

Feb 23, 2016
    Rockwall
    Full Name:
    Dave Hoffer
    I agree I would have it tested myself for the SMOG Certificate. Like to see the smog numbers to see if it barley passed or passed with fly colors.

18. londonfog1964

londonfog1964 Rookie
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2015
    Make sure you DYNO the car for the smog test,,,My 328 always passes in CA...,we tried the 2 speed static test,,and it would not pass,, ,,If you buy the car ,,after it passes...take off the CAT,,,,its makes the 3x8s run very hot,,,Install a Tubi and a Test Pipe,,,you will be stoked at the how much cooler and better the car runs,,,My friend has a 30 platinum awarded 85 QV,,,Yours looks just as good,,If and when you do that...go up to LA and run a tank of 100 OCTANE pump gas...76 at Pico and Bundy....You wont believe how much better the car runs with that gasoline,,,

19. redline76

redline76 Formula Junior

Feb 26, 2008
    Venice, CA
    Full Name:
    Warren V
    Yes, make your car smell, your eyes water, become non-compliant with regs and a gross polluter to boot. Then dump in expensive hi-octane gas that exceeds the recommended rating for absolutely no benefit.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/fact-or-fiction-premium-g/

This is some great advice.

20. londonfog1964

londonfog1964 Rookie
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2015
    #20 londonfog1964, Oct 9, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2016
    The gas in California is garbage,so for me,,the 100 is good to run once in a while, secondly, the converter is a heavy , restrictive piece of crap, using a test pipe instead will allow the car to run significantly better, and much cooler, PERIOD, otherwise, they would not sell them, My buddy has a 85 QV, he also uses a test pipe, and his car runs cooler and better, so it is good advice . So do whatever it is that you do, and dont worry about what anybody else does, you live a much easier life,believe me. PS...The TUBI TEST PIPE SET UP HAS THE CAR LETTING OUT A HELL OF AN EXHAUST NOTE !! MUCH BETTER THAN THE STOCK SET UP.

21. Brian A

Brian A F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    SanFrancisco BayArea
    Full Name:
    1983 US 308 GTS QV
    One of the problems with internet forums is that it’s difficult to sort opinions from facts. It is important to be careful not to sound overly adamant with opinion-based statements.

There are several good threads about the catalytic converters as well as the effect of higher octane fuel in our antique engines.

The cat threads note that the original cats were a pellet design. They were heavy and possibly restrictive. Modern cats use a mesh design which are much lighter and cause negligible back pressure. You can see daylight through them. (I have modern cats on my 1983 but also have a pair of original cats in the rafters of my garage that I have compared.) Modern cats may have maintenance issues but, as I understand it, are not harmful to performance.

Many other threads also refute the relationship between engine temperature and cat temperature. The cats themselves are very hot (they are supposed to be) but, again, as I understand it, don't have any effect on how hot the engine runs.

Regarding 100 octane fuel, the higher pre-detonation tolerance can’t be exploited by the rudimentary ignition and fuel management systems of our cars.

22. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    I ran a test pipe with a Tubi for about 8 years.

I didn't observe even a single degree difference with it that way vs the 5 years I drove it stock or the 6 years after when I installed the Hyperflow. It was unchanged across the board.

What I couldn't deal with was the smell that even got into my clothes when I drove with the top off.

If someone has a car that is running hot, they have other problems. Removing the cat to fix it would be like adjusting the tire pressure.

23. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    Yep. Useless in a 308.

Unless you have a knock sensor that is playing with the advance, a higher octane fuel will provide zero gains.

24. mjw02

mjw02 Karting

Nov 14, 2014
    Rancho Santa Fe
    Full Name:
    Marc
    Finally ended up purchasing this car.... great car, very clean , low miles & all service records. AND local!

She shall live under my 1987 930 - Now i have both the 80's poster cars i wanted :)

Thanks for advice F Chatters

25. Brian A

Brian A F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    SanFrancisco BayArea
    Full Name:
    1983 US 308 GTS QV
    Very extremely awesomely cool!

Congratulations! Enjoy!