Garage lifts - Any recommendations? | FerrariChat

Garage lifts - Any recommendations?

Discussion in 'Chicago' started by Dino V, Oct 5, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Dino V

Dino V Formula 3

Sep 21, 2005
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Dino
    I have been doing some house construction and next on the list will be garage (hoping over winter, by spring). So, started looking at lifts and researching.
    I've narrowed down to 4 post (feel that this would be the safest). It appears that the majority can be secured down without digging in concrete posts. This would be nice in the event I want it moved, or decide to move and want to take lift with, etc. Primary usage would be storage and not for doing maintenance on vehicles.
    Which manufacturer have you purchased and how happy are you with it? Did you work with any specific local company?
    Thanks for the feedback.

2. DavidBrown

DavidBrown Karting

Mar 26, 2013
    Lake Bluff, IL
    Full Name:
    David Brown
    The four post lift from backyardbuddy.com is on my buy list for the new house.
    They set up the installer and coordinate it all. I haven't purchased it yet, but didn't come across any negative comments other than cost while researching lifts. Made in USA too.

3. 04GCAR

04GCAR Karting

Oct 11, 2004
    Madison
    HAVE 2 REVOLUTIONS LIFTS, NO PROBLEMS. 220 VOLT

4. Dino V

Dino V Formula 3

Sep 21, 2005
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Dino
    Thanks! Looks like they have an excellent warranty and for $229 you can extend an additional 4 years to 9 years.

Thanks, I will take a look at their lifts.

5. cobmw

cobmw Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 22, 2006
    Rocky Mountain area
    The mistake I made when buying lifts was to get some that need air pressure in order to unlock and descend. PIA to have air lines in the way and a compressor that has to pump up each time I use the lift. I have others that are all electric and are easier to live with.

6. JohnnyS

JohnnyS F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 19, 2006
    Illinois
    Full Name:
    John
    I have a 4-post 7,000 lb lift from Greg Smith. I think it was one of those hated Chinese made ones (Direct Lift 7000). It has been great. Trouble free for 9 years and I store my car on it 100% of the time.

7. Dino V

Dino V Formula 3

Sep 21, 2005
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Dino
    Thanks for the advice. Not something I thought about but definitely want all electric.

Thanks. Did you order it online and install it yourself?

Appreciate all the feedback from everyone.

8. phanliu

phanliu Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 21, 2015
    Illinois
    Full Name:
    Noel
    What do these costs? I've heard good things about American Custom Lifts too. Wondering if these are similar in pricing.

9. LBBP

LBBP Formula Junior

10. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    I used Rch rci lifts out of Schaumburg 8 yrs ago. Zero problems since on my four post btw. They did a lot at autobahn

11. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister
    about a year ago I picked up an Advantage lift. It's a no nonsense solidly built unit. I like things that are simple, built with common sense and reliability in mind. It was around $3500, works on 110 which is nice if you move it around and don't have to be tied to one specially wired 220V location. Safety system is super simple and easy to release.

http://www.advantagelifts.us/

12. Dino V

Dino V Formula 3

Sep 21, 2005
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Dino
    I've noticed a lot of the lifts tend to be within comparable price ranges.

From their website seems like an excellent lift and priced similar to others I've been looking at. Thanks for sharing.

Excellent, I'll be sure to check them out.

Thanks for sharing and feedback. I am back and forth on the 220V wiring or to stay with 110.

13. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister
    If I had the option I would have done a dedicated 110 circuit for this lift and may do in the addition I'm planning but I have not had any issue currently using it on regular 110 outlets. From my research the only real difference between 220 & 110 is the speed with which they can lift. The speed my light goes is more than adequate. I'm also just high enough on my ceiling so I'm not sure more speed would be a good thing.

14. Dino V

Dino V Formula 3

Sep 21, 2005
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Dino
    Great to know, thank you! Not concerned about speed since it probably won't be operated daily (just for when I want to go for occassional cruise/drive), primary role would just be storage of vehicle on it. Seems like 110 should suffice for my needs then.