These 355s ??? WTF ? | Page 3 | FerrariChat

These 355s ??? WTF ?

Discussion in 'Canada' started by MS250, Oct 4, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. isaydingdong

isaydingdong Formula Junior

Apr 18, 2014
    ny
    Full Name:
    Sy Sperling
    Where are all the 355's, they made a good number of them but not many for sale

2. tr512

tr512 Formula 3

Apr 12, 2007
    canada burnaby bc
    Full Name:
    Michael
    They all went to the U.S.

3. gerritv

gerritv Formula 3

Jun 18, 2001
    St Catharines
    Full Name:
    Gerrit
    They are all in the shop waiting for clutch shaft seals

4. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Or..manifolds, valve guides, cat converters, #2 cylinder sleeve and rings, convertible top issues, axle boots, etc etc.. One of Ferrari's best performing cars ever, but the issues can be extremely overwhelming.

5. myronx19

myronx19 Formula Junior

May 27, 2012
    Toronto, ON Canada
    Full Name:
    Myron Samila

ugh... are they really that bad!? I looked at a GTS, tempting.. fabspeed headers, aftermarket cats, fresh clutch, will need belts in two years (assuming 5 year cycle) guides done (on a brand new crate motor - bills to prove, I've never seen a service bill with that many numbers!), car shows well especially for 75K kms.. Price seems ok'ish, especially considering the Canadian dollar continues to go down (comparing to US cars)

it's the "issues can be extremely overwhelming" that's holding me back.. getting in is cheap, staying in might kill me :) . My friends highly recommend that I run in the other direction!! (355's in general)

Uff, maybe I'll stick with my Fiat.

6. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    With all that work done I would think you shouldn't have much to worry about.

Maybe I've been lucky but I'm on my second F355. Love them to death. First one had just a few minor issues. Second has been perfect and it's still on the original guides and headers. (though it is low mileage).

Oh, and I imported it from Canada so there's one less up there for you guys :D

7. djempire

djempire Formula Junior

Apr 30, 2012
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Serf
    Ouch!

8. Andrew D.

Andrew D. F1 Rookie

Jul 6, 2008
    Goodwood Ontario
    Full Name:
    Andrew D.
    Whats wrong with a US car? A lot of Canadian cars are leased and went through our winters. Americans use their cars less. A southern climate makes a difference. How many do we store in heated garages? I bought 4 American cars-no regrets. My only Canadian Porsche had a rotten engine skirt from winter use.

9. myronx19

myronx19 Formula Junior

May 27, 2012
    Toronto, ON Canada
    Full Name:
    Myron Samila
    oh, I'd say we generally drive them less than Americans do - and typically better maintained. You don't see too many rough 355's around here. I've never seen a Ferrari go through our winters. A southern climate also means the leather dash gets beat to crap even faster!! (since they have more good weather days, I bet it sits in the sun a lot more). Fek, I store my Fiat in my heated garage!!! So lots of people do indeed store their cars here in climate controlled garages, I know of many examples (right down to carcoons in heated garages).

With the exchange right now, anything that's here is already 6.1% cheaper because it's not 25 years old (importing a 355 from the US means a 6.1% import duty for the value of the car). Shipping always adds to the cost, and of course the cost and hassle of going to see a car there, getting a PPI, etc..

Also, just as a matter of preference.. the speedo's dial face has km rather than in tiny numbers that are freakin' hard to read :)

Anyway, if someone is looking for a local GTS - this is the one I went to see, I've decided to pass and wait for the market to cool. This car was $98K last week, it's now $102K. Prices are going up! ;)

1997 Ferrari F355 for $102,388 in Maple | autoTRADER.ca

10. Jonsav

Jonsav Formula Junior

Sep 26, 2014
    Canada
  11. I'm 360 Canuck

I'm 360 Canuck Formula 3

Nov 21, 2015
    Ontario, The Real One in Canada
    Full Name:
    Lars!
    I don't see many ferraris on the road here from November to mid-April, so not sure I believe Americans would drive these cars less.
    Not saying American cars are bad, I've imported 2 of them with no issues. But i don't get the rationale for claiming they have lower mileage other than miles sound lower than if converted to kms ;)

12. GerryD

GerryD Formula 3

May 5, 2010
    North of TO
    Full Name:
    Guido
  13. AceMaster

AceMaster Three Time F1 World Champ

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike